Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2020, 10:27 AM

2,194 posts, read 1,139,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
So what you're saying is people develop anti-bodies by fighting off a virus either through real infection and/or the injection of that modified virus via dead fragments or a weakened version and the development of these anti-bodies is what leads to at least some form of temporary immunity? Hmmm? Perhaps Koko can explain how you're wrong.

I guess this article by nature discussing how vaccines provide immunity is wrong: https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-01221-y

If one develops immunity via a virus by building anti-bodies to destroy a weakened version of the virus or an inactivated virus I'm having trouble understanding how one wouldn't develop the same anti-bodies via fighting off the live virus. But, perhaps there's something about anti-bodies that comes from destroying the weakened or inactivated virus that creates superior anti-bodies....and thus at least temporary immunity from that same strain of the virus.
The bolded answers the question you're asking. It's the reason we don't have immunity from or a vaccine for rhinoviruses or HIV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2020, 10:32 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
To me, the big thing is that most of the Republican governors are willing to give people the option to open up and do things. If you want to stay home, continue to do so. Many of the coastal states are remaining locked down indefinitely.
that is all that government entities ever had the right to do.

Old 05-04-2020, 10:38 AM

35,061 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
Bingo! I have been making this point to people who claim there is no evidence that people develop anti-bodies to Covid-19. I then ask, why even shoot for a vaccine??? Vaccines inject dead viruses into your body for it to recognize the invader, fight it off, and develop some sort of timeframe of immunity. Most viruses work this way except for HIV which mutates so rapidly the body cannot become immune.
These people will come up with anything to keep us in lockdown:
  1. Block hydrochloroquine and chloroquine;
  2. Shame doctors who propose using hydrochloroquine and chloroquine;
  3. Put impossible or time-consuming hurdles in the way of developing a vaccine;
  4. Oppose any loosening, indeed publish the public for wanting any socialization or fun.
I don't want to be a conspiracy theorist but the people pushing this panic have a vice-grip on the media and public officials.

Old 05-04-2020, 10:57 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,166,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
The bolded answers the question you're asking. It's the reason we don't have immunity from or a vaccine for rhinoviruses or HIV.
You can say the same for the flu too. Flu vaccines don't provide complete immunity. Only the potential for temporary immunity.

Old 05-04-2020, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
These people will come up with anything to keep us in lockdown:
  1. Block hydrochloroquine and chloroquine;
  2. Shame doctors who propose using hydrochloroquine and chloroquine;
  3. Put impossible or time-consuming hurdles in the way of developing a vaccine;
  4. Oppose any loosening, indeed publish the public for wanting any socialization or fun.
I don't want to be a conspiracy theorist but the people pushing this panic have a vice-grip on the media and public officials.
Um...

A) There's no real proof that "hydroxychloroquine" (not sure how serious one should take an argument with the incorrect name ) works.

B) Hydroxychloroquine is a drug with very harsh side effects. It's not really a drug we should just be saying, "Hey, let's just see what happens," in a widespread way.

Old 05-04-2020, 11:08 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
You can say the same for the flu too. Flu vaccines don't provide complete immunity. Only the potential for temporary immunity.
and also the number of annual flu deaths is a manufactured number.

Old 05-04-2020, 11:08 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times
Resuts are 3-5 weeks fem the actin

Old 05-04-2020, 11:12 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
As for #3, some early attempts at vaccines for other types of Coronavirus were successful at preventing the spread of the virus at the expense of destroying the lungs of the animals they tested it on and we don’t want to fast track and then discover that nasty little potential side effect only when it’s at human testing stage

Old 05-04-2020, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
T[*]Oppose any loosening, indeed publish the public for wanting any socialization or fun.[/list] I don't want to be a conspiracy theorist but the people pushing this panic have a vice-grip on the media and public officials.
Again, the President of the United States put forth a plan for reopening. Again, 14 days of declining infections. Again, no where has this happened.

So, again, I'll ask you for like the fifth or sixth time, how is there some sort of "conspiracy" when no one has yet met the President's terms for a Phase 1 reopening? I'll expect to hear silence and crickets again.

Old 05-04-2020, 12:29 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,166,341 times
Apparently the young in NYC are kind of giving up on the whole lock down thing. I saw a picture from a Greenwhich Village park on Saturday that looked very crowded. Obviously there was some social distancing going on, but given the size of the groups I doubt they all lived together.

A good friend lives in Manhattan and said he was out picking up pizza at around 7 last night and people were all out, bars were blasting music out onto the sidewalks and people were getting "To Go" cups, drinking on the sidewalks and then returning to get more "To Go" drinks. He said it was like Bourbon Street in New Orleans.

I think people are starting to get restless. Imagine if people in NYC are doing that after all the death they saw around them just a few weeks ago how hard it will be to tell a bunch of 25-year-olds in Denver not to hang out together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics