Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2020, 10:39 AM

2,747 posts, read 1,781,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
The additional 600.00 per week is not for the entire duration of time you receive unemployment benefits. It’s shorter in duration and it’s simply additional stimulus for the economy.
Depends on the state, as of now Florida only gives 12 weeks of unemployment benefits (that is if they ever process the applications and start paying people). One of Rick Scott's not so brilliant ideas to help businesses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2020, 10:39 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
The additional 600.00 per week is not for the entire duration of time you receive unemployment benefits. It’s shorter in duration and it’s simply additional stimulus for the economy.
That's correct. But I wonder how many are aware of that?

Old 04-23-2020, 10:41 AM

242 posts, read 206,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
Or staying home and possibly avoiding a deadly virus.......
For how long?......Until the country collapses?

Old 04-23-2020, 10:51 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach911 View Post
Not surprised at all. She's in Washington state as am I. Max UI here is $785 a week although I know spa workers aren't getting that much. Most likely $15 an hour workers... $600. Assuming 50% from unemployment $300 plus $600 bonus we are talking about $900 > $600.

People aren't motivated to return to work... and this is a prime example of why. The wife and I are still working essential jobs and I'm totally glad to be doing that and not being stuck at home for weeks on end even if it might pay more. Don't even want to talk about the nightmare that is applying for UI right now.

In 3 months when the $600 bonus runs out that might motivate some people to go back to work... assuming it's not extended and we aren't on further lockdowns. Meh... open the country up already. Or don't... and I'll keep enjoying the 90% reduction in traffic.
Well some people still have this bad of habit, it's called "eating" or at least it used to be a great motivator.

In 3 months(and let's hope this lockdown is lifted) those who decide "oh my UE benefits are now going back to the regular rate", well IDK. Many people even before this situation wait too long to look. It is understandable for a awhile, a job loss is shock and you grieve the loss.

Remember when UE benefits went on for 2 years? I knew a few people who milked right to the end. There were jobs they could have gotten say 8 months into their unemployment, but they got used to not working.

Honestly, it irked me. I got laid right prior to 9/11 here in CA, UE at that time was 6 months max. I ended up doing temp work and got a server job(after having my own office at the company who laid me off).

This current scenario is something we really haven't seen before, but at the same time some people want free rent, bills paid, etc. Not having even a couple of months savings to fall back on. But they have the latest iPhone.

Old 04-23-2020, 10:51 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,350,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swizzle Stick View Post

No one knows for how long. I think people have to put on their adult pants. Death overrides money. The country didn't "collapse" during the depression (we're here, after all), nor 9/11. Nor any other thing. We'll get through this.

I'm betting that the person who died of covid after protesting the shutdown would now choose life over the financial struggle.

It's my hope that when all this is over Americans will finally learn to save for a rainy day....perhaps sell their Iphone and bank the money, rather than spend it.

Old 04-23-2020, 11:17 AM

10,065 posts, read 7,237,863 times
It's only for 4 months. Would you rather have a steady job, or enough pay to get you by until August?

The problem is that no jobs are steady anymore.

Old 04-23-2020, 11:17 AM

1,304 posts, read 855,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swizzle Stick View Post
Until we have a realistic process to safely reopen in place. In other words, the three t's....testing, tracking and treatment!

Old 04-23-2020, 11:18 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,459,309 times
This is ridiculous. No one unemployed wants to be unemployed. If you're unemployed, you have to interview for jobs in this job market. Making less under a Paycheck Protection Plan initiative is a better deal as compared to making slightly more and having to interview. Interviewing for jobs stinks in any job market, let alone the worst economy in 90 years.

Old 04-23-2020, 11:19 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuiteLiving View Post
Depends on the state, as of now Florida only gives 12 weeks of unemployment benefits (that is if they ever process the applications and start paying people). One of Rick Scott's not so brilliant ideas to help businesses.
Well that sucks. I wasn’t aware that there were states less than 26 weeks and just had to look it up. Seems most are 26 but there are some that are 12/20

Old 04-23-2020, 11:33 AM

3,346 posts, read 2,199,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
This is ridiculous.
What's ridiculous is that the US has far too many people who lie awake in a whitelipped rage that someone, somewhere is getting a dollar they don't "deserve."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics