Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2020, 06:07 PM

7,644 posts, read 4,593,440 times

Advertisements

If you've taken a chance to look at the refi markets, you may have noticed something particular. Despite ultra low interest rates, banks were quite nervous. The only person buying at the moment is the Fed. The only thing the Fed wants is very high quality loans. With the new setup in these banks, things like people not paying mortgages for a few months are potential killers. The banks still have to pay on those loan packages. That delta comes out of their capital...temporarily, but that's where it lies.

By continuing to print money, the risk becomes that the Federal Reserve rate starts to become.....less relevant to the bond and mortgage markets overall. After all, if the only ones buying and accepting incredibly low return rates are central banks...and the only thing the money can be used for is extremely high grade loans....there's a chance that the correlations breaks and we see extremely high interest rates for everyone because it has to cover expensive capital charges. If you want a bank showing a ROE of 10-20%...and there's no issue of supply for the very top of the market, but everything else must hold it's own, you may end up with a very divergent debt market.

That's the other danger of continuous printing. Someplace, somewhere, there's a huge supply adjustment. Getting into that circle suddenly becomes the easiest way to make money...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2020, 06:45 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,552,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
If you've taken a chance to look at the refi markets, you may have noticed something particular. Despite ultra low interest rates, banks were quite nervous. The only person buying at the moment is the Fed. The only thing the Fed wants is very high quality loans. With the new setup in these banks, things like people not paying mortgages for a few months are potential killers. The banks still have to pay on those loan packages. That delta comes out of their capital...temporarily, but that's where it lies.

By continuing to print money, the risk becomes that the Federal Reserve rate starts to become.....less relevant to the bond and mortgage markets overall. After all, if the only ones buying and accepting incredibly low return rates are central banks...and the only thing the money can be used for is extremely high grade loans....there's a chance that the correlations breaks and we see extremely high interest rates for everyone because it has to cover expensive capital charges. If you want a bank showing a ROE of 10-20%...and there's no issue of supply for the very top of the market, but everything else must hold it's own, you may end up with a very divergent debt market.

That's the other danger of continuous printing. Someplace, somewhere, there's a huge supply adjustment. Getting into that circle suddenly becomes the easiest way to make money...
Agree that massive loan defaults in Q3/Q4 could create a financial crisis. It’s one of my biggest concerns.

Old 05-09-2020, 06:54 PM

18,801 posts, read 8,465,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Agree that massive loan defaults in Q3/Q4 could create a financial crisis. It’s one of my biggest concerns.
Please explain as I don't see that happening.

Old 05-09-2020, 08:02 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,552,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Please explain as I don't see that happening.
My fear is that the job market could remain cold into Q3/Q4. People are not paying mortgages for 3 months without penalty right now. If unemployment is still huge in Q3/Q4, people are going to default on mortgages and foreclosures will have to start. I’m not worried about derivatives of mortgage backed securities the way that they caused problems in 08/09, but this could still create big issues for the banks.

Old 05-09-2020, 09:01 PM

18,801 posts, read 8,465,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
My fear is that the job market could remain cold into Q3/Q4. People are not paying mortgages for 3 months without penalty right now. If unemployment is still huge in Q3/Q4, people are going to default on mortgages and foreclosures will have to start. I’m not worried about derivatives of mortgage backed securities the way that they caused problems in 08/09, but this could still create big issues for the banks.
If the Fed buys them up they take that loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics