Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2020, 01:02 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,236,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
The first thing to junk is Saturday delivery...........tons of employees to get that extra day........we can do without it

Who can do without it? You are talking about someone's wages. And think of those weekends when the carrier has Saturday off, Sunday? Closed. Monday: a national holiday. Three-day weekend.

Two sides to every story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2020, 01:36 PM

12,323 posts, read 8,052,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
The first thing to junk is Saturday delivery...........tons of employees to get that extra day........we can do without it
That would take Congress. It's beyond the Postmaster General's pay grade

Old 07-24-2020, 12:29 AM

1,458 posts, read 1,163,923 times
Can somebody please explain zoning to me? Does it have something to do with mailing a letter in a town and that letter goes to another town to be sent and delivered back to the original town? I do much more through online bill pay or filling out papers or applications etc. than I used to. Those things used to all go through the mail. But, I sure would miss the Postal Service if it wasn't here. I have grandkids in college who never go look at their mailboxes. Things are changing. I have 3 rolls ahead of forever stamps in my desk drawer. Bought ahead when times were good with our business. It sure would be awful to not get to use those.

Old 07-24-2020, 06:34 PM

18,511 posts, read 15,494,002 times
The elephant in the room is the requirement that they prepay 75 years of retirement benefits - something no private company is ever required to do by federal law!

Old 07-25-2020, 07:32 PM

1,967 posts, read 2,219,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Looking to Cut Costs, New USPS Leader Takes Aim at Overtime and Late Trips - Government Executive

So they are going to make the mail service less reliable by delaying delivery of mail, to shave $200 million off a $10 billion deficit?
Less reliable? In my experience, until the 1980s, possibly until 1990 or 1991, first class mail was always one day locally, and two or three days nationally. I ran a company mailroom in downtown Chicago during this timeframe, so I am not just spit-balling numbers.

In the 1990s and 2000s, things slipped a bit, but first class mail generally arrived anywhere in the US within the week (five business days).

Nowadays, first class mail is a crap-shoot. In the past couple of years, it often arrives only after two or three weeks. FIRST CLASS. Junk mail often arrives more quickly.

Time for a reboot.

Old 07-25-2020, 08:48 PM

26,181 posts, read 21,462,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
Less reliable? In my experience, until the 1980s, possibly until 1990 or 1991, first class mail was always one day locally, and two or three days nationally. I ran a company mailroom in downtown Chicago during this timeframe, so I am not just spit-balling numbers.

In the 1990s and 2000s, things slipped a bit, but first class mail generally arrived anywhere in the US within the week (five business days).

Nowadays, first class mail is a crap-shoot. In the past couple of years, it often arrives only after two or three weeks. FIRST CLASS. Junk mail often arrives more quickly.

Time for a reboot.
My office before Covid sent 1-2 buckets of first class mail daily and receive a similar amount. In both ins/outs it rarely takes 2 weeks or more from sending to receiving first class mail. The norm is 2-5 days not 2-3 weeks

Old 07-26-2020, 02:41 AM

15,283 posts, read 8,894,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post

Time for a reboot.
I think you are missing the point. Under the plan, if your mailman doesn't have enough time to deliver your mail in his 8 hour shift, he will just leave it in the post office for another day. This will result in your mail just sitting at your local post office for one or more days. That will be in addition to any other delays. I do not believe that happens now. If my mail arrives at my local post office before the carrier leaves, it gets delivered that day. That will not necessarily happen from now on. That will make the service less reliable. I guess there will be new tracking details: "Arrived At Local Post Office. No Time for Delivery."

Old 07-26-2020, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I think you are missing the point. Under the plan, if your mailman doesn't have enough time to deliver your mail in his 8 hour shift, he will just leave it in the post office for another day. This will result in your mail just sitting at your local post office for one or more days. That will be in addition to any other delays. I do not believe that happens now. If my mail arrives at my local post office before the carrier leaves, it gets delivered that day. That will not necessarily happen from now on. That will make the service less reliable. I guess there will be new tracking details: "Arrived At Local Post Office. No Time for Delivery."
Which is better than the current system of postal supervisors being bullied into showing movement when running out of staff hours so they make up a false report of no access/business closed or animal interference to "stop the clock" on the tracking of a particular item.

Before scanners and tracking we always delayed mail to avoid penalty overtime payments to postal workers. Being capped at 10 hours instead of the 12 available hours. Now we work 12 hours, the last 2 at double our hourly pay rate, and still run out of time at which point the customer sees the fake scan long before higher USPS management gives the lower supervisors an attaboy for scanning everything as the user has no option of reporting it just wasn't done because a man can not keep going indefinitely and must stop to eat and sleep. No matter how much Amazon promised delivery

Old 07-26-2020, 02:44 PM

1,315 posts, read 3,216,746 times
Will these cost cutting measures by the new Postmaster General, stall future USPS rate hikes for all classes of mail?

Old 07-26-2020, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
Will these cost cutting measures by the new Postmaster General, stall future USPS rate hikes for all classes of mail?
I guess if the operating cost of always waiting for the last piece instead of sending the truck like Tom Hanks FedEx boss in the movie Castaway did with their plane does generate the intended savings in fuel and payroll . And if the extra day for delivery doesn't drive a critical mass of customers away then the USPS would have a weaker case when asking the Postal Regulatory Commission for permissin to raise rates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics