Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2020, 12:42 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,253,683 times

Advertisements

Bump to read more
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2020, 01:47 PM

12,383 posts, read 8,136,596 times
I'm on the phone and never figured out how to link but the big story now is the plan to slow down service in order to cut the amount of overtime payments going to postal workers.

However at the moment due to quarantines and it being prime vacation season many districts have less than half their authorized strength in workers report.

So in many areas, even with staff still working overtime daily. 2 hours at 1.5 times their pay then 2 hours at double pay if the assigned carrier is under sick or vacation leave residents are only receiving mail twice a week,if they are lucky.

Parcels are being delayed unless they are from Amazon Priority Mail or look and feel like Prescription bottles

Old 07-22-2020, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
I'm on the phone and never figured out how to link but the big story now is the plan to slow down service in order to cut the amount of overtime payments going to postal workers.

However at the moment due to quarantines and it being prime vacation season many districts have less than half their authorized strength in workers report.

So in many areas, even with staff still working overtime daily. 2 hours at 1.5 times their pay then 2 hours at double pay if the assigned carrier is under sick or vacation leave residents are only receiving mail twice a week,if they are lucky.

Parcels are being delayed unless they are from Amazon Priority Mail or look and feel like Prescription bottles

Taiko, I don't know how/why this post suddenly appeared just after I bumped the thread to re=read it. Nevertheleass, I am glad to see it.

First, I opened the thread to try to find your post (I think it was yours) explaining that "40% penalty" I never did find it and gave up. Maybe you can help?

Second, your last sentence above got my attention this very day, when USPS carrier brought me a bar-coded package early this morning, not too long after his run starts. But our regular mail is not here yet. Well, the eight hours isn't spent yet but it's getting close.

I did not know they were still being allowed overtime. Is that nation-wide? Thanks.

Old 07-22-2020, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
Taiko, I don't know how/why this post suddenly appeared just after I bumped the thread to re=read it. Nevertheleass, I am glad to see it.

First, I opened the thread to try to find your post (I think it was yours) explaining that "40% penalty" I never did find it and gave up. Maybe you can help?

Second, your last sentence above got my attention this very day, when USPS carrier brought me a bar-coded package early this morning, not too long after his run starts. But our regular mail is not here yet. Well, the eight hours isn't spent yet but it's getting close.

I did not know they were still being allowed overtime. Is that nation-wide? Thanks.
It probably had to do with thinking that I was going home after 10 hours only to be mandated to go back out with a single piece from Amazon and at my penalty overtime rate being paid about $40 to deliver a single package. If it came from any other mailer the piece would be the next day.

Old 07-22-2020, 03:30 PM

Quote:
It probably had to do with thinking that I was going home after 10 hours only to be mandated to go back out with a single piece from Amazon and at my penalty overtime rate being paid about $40 to deliver a single package. If it came from any other mailer the piece would be the next day.

I have no doubt of it. To make it even worse - or better, depending on p.o.v. - my Amazon shipment came two days early. Meanwhile, we await our utility bills - late.

I'd best say no more.

Old 07-22-2020, 03:56 PM

With Walmart having an almost exclusive contract with another company and Amazon having their own service I am watching pieces from Target being push aside for later and thinking postal managers are not known for their brainpower

Old 07-22-2020, 04:08 PM

Quote:
With Walmart having an almost exclusive contract with another company and Amazon having their own service I am watching pieces from Target being push aside for later and thinking postal managers are not known for their brainpower

Oh, I know one who has quite a brain power. She is fast on her feet to come up with a different answer for the same question or complaint, depending on who it is calling - from a lowly customer to the district supervisor. Even I can't do that. I have trouble thinking of just one excuse and that usually gets me into trouble.

Old 07-22-2020, 04:24 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:

Quote:
The U.S. Postal Service is cracking down on late trips in an effort to reduce labor and transportation costs, with the agency’s new top executive looking for ways to redesign its business model.

The cash-strapped USPS, whose poor finances have taken a further hit during the novel coronavirus pandemic, has instructed workers to leave each phase of their deliveries according to a set schedule, meaning some mail will likely be delayed. Louis DeJoy, who became postmaster general last month, directed the changes, which the Postal Service suggested could save $200 million.
Looking to Cut Costs, New USPS Leader Takes Aim at Overtime and Late Trips - Government Executive

So they are going to make the mail service less reliable by delaying delivery of mail, to shave $200 million off a $10 billion deficit? Wait till Christmas comes and the mail just starts piling up because the USPS doesn't want to pay overtime to get it delivered. Better start mailing you Christmas cards and packages around September 1st if your want them to be delivered before Christmas.

Old 07-22-2020, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Looking to Cut Costs, New USPS Leader Takes Aim at Overtime and Late Trips - Government Executive

So they are going to make the mail service less reliable by delaying delivery of mail, to shave $200 million off a $10 billion deficit? Wait till Christmas comes and the mail just starts piling up because the USPS doesn't want to pay overtime to get it delivered. Better start mailing you Christmas cards and packages around September 1st if your want them to be delivered before Christmas.
To be fair when I started we never went into penalty overtime, over 10 hours/day, except to pick up a blue collection box that showed as missed on the computer and mail was routinely brought back for delivery the next day or left at the station in the first place as being the lower class of mail at a lower price point. Change no penalty overtime of pre scanners and tracking postal service to no overtime and we have the new Postmaster General's position. But the public never saw how the sausage was made.

Then came scanners with real time reporting along with the service trying to prove they were as good as email with "every piece, every day" and the SOP changed from control cost to no cost was too high when something had a bar code on it. Suddenly it didn't matter if folks were working 2 hours at double their pay rate and mailers caught on so now market ads and catalogs carry a bar code on them to which line supervisors made sure must get out , even if they were paying lower bulk business rates, lest they show a missing scan event

And Christmas, the entire month of December actually was special. For the month there are no double rate overtime payments. Thus no "penalty" for postal management forcing postal workers to keep on working for 12 hours a day. I would imagine at the end of the day the fallout would be to try to change the postal management culture of cost doesn't matter as long as you are busy to one were they are to take into account that we had classes of mail and legacy forms for reporting mail not being delivered for a reason.

Old 07-23-2020, 12:30 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,162,246 times
The first thing to junk is Saturday delivery...........tons of employees to get that extra day........we can do without it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics