U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-21-2020, 02:17 PM
 
1,988 posts, read 503,478 times
Reputation: 3196

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Remember in the fall of 2001 the Doomers were claiming people would never feel safe to fly again and the country would never be the same.
In pretty much as many words as you need, explain how that's not true. Flying is a huge PITA most people dread for one reason or another, irrespective of the 'hijacking' threat, and I think I can state few people say the US is the same (or what it would have been without 9/11).

Are you even old enough to remember 2001?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-21-2020, 02:54 PM
 
Location: Living rent free in your head
35,152 posts, read 16,237,227 times
Reputation: 25736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
...thus leading to being one of nearly 40 million unemployed by force majeure, and all their fault?

Did you forget a smiley in there, or (since you live in Sac County) are you just another unionized state worker?
That is not what I said, maybe my post was too subtle to make sense. I feel great compassion for the millions who lost their jobs, what I was addressing is the cruelty that some people resort to when people have lost their job. They go to great lengths to make sure we know that it is the fault of the person who was laid off, usually attributing it to some character flaw while reminding us what a perfect life they have lived and how they knew better than to take jobs they might be laid off from. And FWIW, I'm retired- for the second time actually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2020, 03:44 PM
 
1,988 posts, read 503,478 times
Reputation: 3196
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
That is not what I said, maybe my post was too subtle to make sense.
Okay, maybe I misread you and our viewpoints are more aligned that it seems. You have to be pretty heavy-handed with humor in here, as there are those who probably took your post as completely serious. (Having posted the same thing themselves.)
Quote:
And FWIW, I'm retired- for the second time actually.
Was the first time from the state, at about 50?

Sorry, I lived there a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2020, 07:28 PM
 
Location: Living rent free in your head
35,152 posts, read 16,237,227 times
Reputation: 25736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
Okay, maybe I misread you and our viewpoints are more aligned that it seems. You have to be pretty heavy-handed with humor in here, as there are those who probably took your post as completely serious. (Having posted the same thing themselves.)

Was the first time from the state, at about 50?
Sorry, I lived there a long time.
No, I never worked for the State, but what difference would it make if I had?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2020, 07:43 PM
 
5,968 posts, read 1,755,840 times
Reputation: 10455
Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaminB12 View Post
This is a black swan event and by nature very hard to predict.
I'm a bit late to this thread -- but no, this is NOT a black swan event. A black swan event is something that was not thought possible.

To the contrary, everyone thought this was possible - because it has happened several times before.

In fact, it was likely to happen.

A full 1/5 of all mammals on the planet are bats. Virus have jumped from bats to other species and on to human beings numerous times.

By definition, this pandemic was completely predictable and hence NOT a black swan event.

Pretty much like wildfires & earthquakes in California, hurricanes in Florida, and blizzards in the Rockies, this event was expected -- sometime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2020, 08:30 PM
 
588 posts, read 198,711 times
Reputation: 1014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
...thus leading to being one of nearly 40 million unemployed by force majeure, and all their fault?

Did you forget a smiley in there, or (since you live in Sac County) are you just another unionized state worker?
It is not anyone's fault if they lost their job due to this.
It is a lot of people's fault that they were so unprepared in the event of a job loss- and in the case of this job loss they are getting 600 dollars more per week than they normally would if they lost their job plus the stimulus.

The fact 40 percent of people had something like 400 dollars or less saved up isn't the fault of every single one of those people but it is the fault of a lot of them.



2 people can make the same exact amount of money and be in totally different financial situations. Sometime's it is legitimately not someone's fault such as a lot of medical bills. But often times one person has a nicer car, a bigger house, the latest iphones, credit card debt piled up and the other person doesn't have the latest everything , biggest house etc but has a lot of money saved. When this pandemic hit it's neither one of their faults, but one of them is in a position to do with it well. The one able to deal with it well didn't forsee covid19 but they were prepared for possible job loss at some point and they lived within their means. I'm not going to pretend some people aren't in bad spots through legitimate horrible luck but I'm also not going to pretend this country doesn't has a lot of financial idiots buried in debt because of dumb decisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2020, 08:37 PM
 
588 posts, read 198,711 times
Reputation: 1014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
In pretty much as many words as you need, explain how that's not true. Flying is a huge PITA most people dread for one reason or another, irrespective of the 'hijacking' threat, and I think I can state few people say the US is the same (or what it would have been without 9/11).

Are you even old enough to remember 2001?
the fact people dread it doesn't mean they weren't doing it before this pandemic.

People love to complain about flying but they won't pay for more space and better treatment.
They like to talk about the good old days of flying but flying in the 1970s cost way more than flying today and that's before even adjusting for inflation. Planes used to crash all the time back then too. We haven't had a commercial plane crash in the US in 11 years.

Do i like flying? Once I'm on the plane i don't mind. It's the getting to and from the airport that is a pain in NYC.The dog and pony show that is the TSA is a pain but since I got TSA pre it's a lot better. It is always comfortable? No I've had my share of middle seats. But if I want to go somewhere and I can't drive in less than 8 hours or so I'm flying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2020, 08:39 PM
 
588 posts, read 198,711 times
Reputation: 1014
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
That is not what I said, maybe my post was too subtle to make sense. I feel great compassion for the millions who lost their jobs, what I was addressing is the cruelty that some people resort to when people have lost their job. They go to great lengths to make sure we know that it is the fault of the person who was laid off, usually attributing it to some character flaw while reminding us what a perfect life they have lived and how they knew better than to take jobs they might be laid off from. And FWIW, I'm retired- for the second time actually.
You might say I'm guilty of this as well.
I don't think it is anyone's fault they were laid off due to covid19.
Are you denying that lots (i'm not saying all) of people made bad financial decisions that left them in a bad place once they were laid off?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2020, 08:46 PM
 
1,988 posts, read 503,478 times
Reputation: 3196
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
I'm a bit late to this thread -- but no, this is NOT a black swan event. A black swan event is something that was not thought possible.

To the contrary, everyone thought this was possible - because it has happened several times before.

In fact, it was likely to happen.

A full 1/5 of all mammals on the planet are bats. Virus have jumped from bats to other species and on to human beings numerous times.

By definition, this pandemic was completely predictable and hence NOT a black swan event.
Quote:
A black swan is an unpredictable event that is beyond what is normally expected of a situation and has potentially severe consequences. Black swan events are characterized by their extreme rarity, their severe impact, and the widespread insistence they were obvious in hindsight.
I can spell Q.E.D. Can you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2020, 08:48 PM
 
1,988 posts, read 503,478 times
Reputation: 3196
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
No, I never worked for the State, but what difference would it make if I had?
None, perhaps. I guess you hadda be there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top