Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2020, 02:21 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
Flying is not what it once was, either, and I know quite a few people who don't really feel safe doing so.

I note you completely ignored the much more significant second point. Okay.

You also ignored the last question. Moving along, now.
ever since i started watching air disasters and mayday on tv i am less confident about flying
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2020, 02:04 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,787,380 times
went to get takeout at my favorite restaurant today... prices increased by 36%, never going back there ever again... unfortunate.

Old 05-22-2020, 04:11 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,237,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
went to get takeout at my favorite restaurant today... prices increased by 36%, never going back there ever again... unfortunate.
Something similar happened at one of my favorite local restaurants. Is it a sit-down place where you typically order drinks? If so, it's probably because they aren't making any money off of drinks anymore. 36% sounds about right to offset lost profit margin from drinks.

Old 05-23-2020, 03:04 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,978,563 times
It's increasing for food, TP, & whatever other price-gouging retailers can get away w/ because they know people need them now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Some things are, like clothing. There was an article that a bunch of clothing companies were have HUGE sales.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Clothing stores have huge sales all the time.
Clothing & gas prices are going down because no one's thinking about clothes or driving as much these days now since a TON more people are staying at home &/or working at home.

Old 05-23-2020, 05:03 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,584,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
That is a problem when people can get loans for things they should not be able to buy. What is the monthly payment on a $42,000 car?
A 72 month loan for $42k is $583.33 per month even with zero interest.

Old 05-23-2020, 07:48 AM

30,160 posts, read 11,789,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
A 72 month loan for $42k is $583.33 per month even with zero interest.
Its a horrible investment. How much is a 42K vehicle worth in 6 years? I just looked up a Silverado pickup. In 2014 the base model started at $35k. Today they sell for $8k-$15k.

So basically $400 of that monthly payment is going right in the trash. You get none of that back. Essentially people are renting a vehicle for $400 a month plus insurance, perhaps $600 a month. And with a bad economy like now, how many have paid for 3 or 4 years and end up getting the car repossessed? All that money for nothing.

Old 05-23-2020, 08:20 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
Why aren't prices on most goods and services rapidly declining during this pandemic? With high unemployment rates and low stock market indexes compared to January 2020, one would assume that consumers have less disposabledd income. It seems however that prices are holding steady to increasing.
Now why do you think they would or should?Basic economics when you have less option pricoes go up
that's how it goes. High unemployment, less disposable income doesn't come into play.

You have a valid point but it doesn't work that way. Sadly many Americans are idiots(and this isn't directed tpwards you) and it is certainly isn't everyone, but enough to get us where were are today.

I'm not going to great detail, but the US economy has been in peril and propped up for years, kickg the debt can down the since Baby Bush was in office,than Obama, now Trump more and more debt a lot of to China. Reliance on China for just for about everything including pharmaceuticals

This virus while real has been way overblown, not conjecture or conspiracy theory, just cold hard financial facts. The virus will take the blame for the cause of what we are now all facing, some getoy many don't but once they emerge of their dwellings binge watching Netflix reality will start to sink in.

Common sense would make people question 40 million people out of work, businesses gone for good lives ruined, a decimated economy,domestic abuse off the charts, people who died due to suicide or due to surgeries place on hold. For a virus that 98% of people recover from, and don't even go to the hospital. The ones who died due to age and very serious illness who were not long for this world, Covid 19 being put down on the COD. Oh and get ready for crime to go way up. For many states have been releasing including violent offenders Covid 19 the reason of course the one stop solution. It's for their safety, yours doensn't. Imean what could possibly go wrong? If they have no family or friends to take them in, out on the street, bad economy,no money. People who have nothing left to lose,what could possibly go wrong. Those in charge know best dammit, don't question or think right?

These are facts not conjecture. But why let facts and logic get in way, much better to let fear and lack of critical thinking be your driving factors, never mind it never ends well in any scenario, who cares

When you have a country now right wing loons and left wing loons so blinded by hate and wishing death on people they don't even know. So over the top they can't even think straight. so no chance of any critical thinking. This is the end result.Everyone who now have helped create more division, while ignoring real issues.,,,great job,

Arrogance when combined with ignorance never ends well. And those of use who paid attention, who could take emotion out the equation, and look at that situation. Can't speak for everyone. but great job.

I live in CA, now I am not crazy about Trump but Newsom is worse. Oh my, is that even possible in America? Has to be one side or the other right? Wrong, but so much easier pick a side never question what your team does, and insult the other side even if they have valid point. It[s about winning at all costs not the for the long term impact

Sorry for the long rant. But it is beyond mind boggling at this point in t

When we have threads on here for example asking do you wear a mask and who did up vote for...seriously???? All that has been going on in this country and this is their mindset? Wow.

Old 05-23-2020, 08:28 AM

9,870 posts, read 4,641,933 times
The demand for many things is still there and the supply chain including replenishment from warehouses and new product from factories has been interrupted.

Old 05-23-2020, 08:42 AM

208 posts, read 81,173 times
Quote:
Don't worry the government doesn't count any price increases as inflation. They will say that you should eat scraps from the dumpster as an alternative to pay for other more expensive food items.

Old 05-23-2020, 09:16 AM

3,346 posts, read 2,199,361 times
Quote:
So, do you want them to survive until they have a full customer base again?

Or will you just go with the more sensible path of not paying someone else prepare your food for you?

Either way, I see it as a learning experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics