Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2020, 05:52 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times

Advertisements

HAHA, nothing is going down is right!

I am a motel-bandit, prices, if anything, have gone up.

Housing prices are actually remaining level or going up in some areas. And the stock-market, well, we know what is going on with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2020, 05:58 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
We were thinking of buying a car before things got weird. For our preferred manufacturer, they shut down production on March 23 and will only start up again on May 18. In the mean time, even though there's been a big sales drop enough people are still buying that there's 60-70% less inventory on the lot than there was in mid-March. And not much in the way of incentives until inventory goes up again.

Old 05-10-2020, 11:59 PM

1,315 posts, read 3,228,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Do a search for "Supply and demand". That should answer your question better than any of us could.

I do not even look at prices when I buy something any more. If it is on the shelf, I'm buying it.

Contractor prices haven't declined and neither have consumer electronic prices.

Old 05-11-2020, 04:15 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,654,062 times
Like somebody else said, give it six month. Get lot more accurate pic of situation by then. Even better notion after a year. Making snap judgements early in game while situation is in play maybe not most enlightening.

I will confirm that I have not seen any lower prices on anything so far. Except gasoline some areas. Notice thats from lack of demand due to people not driving as much. If anything food and clothing has went up in price. I am guessing because some of it has long international supply line and uncertainty how well that supply line will hold up. Same way prices go up after any natural disaster.

What will put pressure on prices is lack of demand due to lot people out of work long term with no income.

Old 05-11-2020, 05:17 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,464,039 times
I was surprised that prices for hotels, cruises, and vacation real estate have increased. I’ve been following the price of vacation condos in a few east coast markets and their prices are up this year compared to the same time last year. I looked at booking the same summer vacation this June that we booked last June and the hotel was slightly more expensive than what we paid last year. We won’t take another cruise again, but out of curiosity I checked the price of a the cruise we took last February to see what it cost for 2021 and it’s the same price it’s been since I started watching it.

Gas is down to $2.10 a gallon, but that’s the only thing I’ve seen that’s gone down. I expected there to be some great deals on hotels for June but that’s not happening in the places I’m watching.

Old 05-12-2020, 05:32 PM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Story out today that prices are falling at the biggest rate since 2008.

Prices are tumbling at an alarming rate

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/12/econo...ril/index.html

US consumer prices declined for the second-straight month in April, the Bureau of Labor Statistics reported on Tuesday. Prices fell by 0.8% on a seasonally adjusted basis in April, marking the largest drop since December 2008.

Old 05-12-2020, 05:49 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,788,932 times
prices are going up not down and certainly not "up at an alarming rate", the reporter is living in a fantasy land

All prices in my grocery store are up, rents are actually up due to stronger demand as people put off home purchases, home prices are up slightly due to massive shortage of listings compared to people looking even though a lot of buyers exited the market sellers exited even faster...

Old 05-12-2020, 06:13 PM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
prices are going up not down and certainly not "up at an alarming rate", the reporter is living in a fantasy land

All prices in my grocery store are up, rents are actually up due to stronger demand as people put off home purchases, home prices are up slightly due to massive shortage of listings compared to people looking even though a lot of buyers exited the market sellers exited even faster...
If you read the story its not the reporters numbers. BLS reports the numbers. Its what is used for COL adjustments, etc. They use a whole basket of items to get current prices. Way beyond this scope of this thread to explain the CPI.

I stayed in a couple hotels in my travels a couple weeks ago. Got 50% off a night at each one. My cell phone bill was cut 20% and my car insurance was cut 15%. Again that is anecdotal and means as little as your anecdotal information.

Where you are prices might be going up on some things. But we are a big country. Its like saying its colder than usual in my town this week therefore global warming is not true.

Housing prices nationally which were rising quickly have now essentially stopped rising. Slowest growth rate since 2013.

https://www.realtor.com/research/wee...april-18-2020/

Rents nationwide are flat or falling.

https://www.apartmentlist.com/renton...al-price-data/

Deflation is a big concern. And it appears to be happening now. Both my houses are in or near college towns. There is a big chance that there will be no open colleges this fall. Both towns rely heavily on students for housing rentals and all the money they spend during the school year. No students and rents will drop quickly with a glut of units. I would imagine when the Northeast and west coast areas open up there will be a flood of listings on the market. Everyone trying to sell before prices collapse.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 05-12-2020 at 06:40 PM..

Old 05-12-2020, 06:45 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,200,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I would imagine when the Northeast and west coast areas open up there will be a flood of listings on the market. Everyone trying to sell before prices collapse.
Kind of circular logic here. As with the whole rental/eviction etc. situation... who are they going to sell to, if prices are unstable and there are no student renters?

I predict that in general we will be about where we were, with some shakeups at the individual level. There just isn't anywhere for panic reactions... to go.

Old 05-12-2020, 07:11 PM

10,068 posts, read 7,239,454 times
Price of meat and eggs and some other grocery staples went up 2.6%, a huge increase relatively speaking. Overall cpi declined by 0.8%.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/12/us-g...-and-eggs.html

Rising grocery store prices will hit the poor harder. I said it before and I'll say it again - this is going to be a crazy un-equal recession/depression in which the poor and lower middle get absolutely hammered, the middle shrinks a bit but the upper middle does pretty well, and the rich make out excellent. Markets will probably go back, driven almost all by tech.

I give it less than a year before we get another Occupy Wall Street type movement that dwarfs the last one, this time with a stronger call for some kind of UBI funded by taxes on wall street/big tech.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics