Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2020, 08:28 PM

29,962 posts, read 11,544,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
You are spot on, but the media can't handle that this is mainly a NYC pandemic which will disproportionately cripple that city's competitive position for generations to come.

Misery loves company.

That is true. Even when its a blizzard or potential hurricane or nor'easter is heading towards NYC the media treats it like its an event that effects the entire country when in fact it is effecting a small sliver of the country.

What would have been different if say Texas or Florida were ground zero for the virus and NYC was the same as some rural communities without many cases?

Would we have been forced to lock down?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2020, 08:54 PM

34,902 posts, read 31,006,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Because we did not know enough a few months back. Our small local hospitals did not know if they would be in a position to handle cases at all. It took some time to prep, and it took some time for all of us to learn. Now we are unwinding, and shall see what we shall see...
But that's where discretion should be left up to local or regional leadership.

No clear thinking person would have ever thought a lockdown strategy appropriate to metro NYC or even urban Nashville would be appropriate for my small town, middle of nowhere area. Hell, for that matter, we didn't even get a chance to distance or to "stop the spread" locally before Nashville came down with a stay at home order.

Old 05-11-2020, 09:00 PM

18,779 posts, read 8,387,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post

No clear thinking person would have ever thought a lockdown strategy appropriate to metro NYC or even urban Nashville would be appropriate for my small town, middle of nowhere area. Hell, for that matter, we didn't even get a chance to distance or to "stop the spread" locally before Nashville came down with a stay at home order.
Not at first. It started from overseas and imported, to who knew where at the time. So it has to start at the federal/national level.

As it necessarily did under Trump, and now evolving towards the states.

I'm small town and we didn't know at first.

Old 05-11-2020, 09:24 PM

3,343 posts, read 1,220,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
My kids in their thirties have had a very tough couple of months. But when I think what their great-grandmother went through, a child in WW1, having four kids growing up during the Depression, having her husband go to war in WW2, what is happening now is nothing comparable.

People are complaining they cannot get a visa to go to see a partner overseas. In the wars people here did not see their loved ones for literally years. They are complaining now that they cannot go overseas to attend a funeral. Almost none of the armed forces killed in WW1 was even brought back to Australia for burial. Their remains are scattered in cemeteries all over Europe.

I actually think some people would benefit from studying a bit more history.
well said.you seem pretty grounded, i'm sure you kids will be fine.

Old 05-11-2020, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Which I didn't take advantage of because of personal circumstances. The 2008 crash devastated me but I also made some bad decisions afterwards which caused me a lot of misery. However, I finally get to the point where I'm in a position to improve my circumstances and coronavirus happens and we have Great Depression II. Now I'm probably going to be spending the next decade or more recovering from this.

Not everyone has shared my own misfortune this past decade and I'm glad for people like yourself who have done well.
my point isn't to be mean and i feel bad if you had any health issues that contributed to those circumstance but to complain about bad timing is really ignorant of history.
i hope you're over any bad personal circumstance but feeling sorry for yourself essentially about when you were born isn't going to help you.

Old 05-11-2020, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Unfortunately, for the last 2 generations, the smarter people figured this out, but the dumber half of the population has been resistant to consistently using birth control. The result is the dumber people have been outbreeding the smarter people. And worse, they've been mostly having kids out of wedlock, which numerous studies (even ones by liberal researchers) have proven to be bad for children. So now the smart people will double down and not have kids while the dumb and the reckless will continue as they always have. We'll have an even bigger underclass than before.
yes this is true.and of course the left will act like it's all bad luck poor people are poor and not their poor decision making at all and the right will act like there is no luck involved in rich people getting rich both ignoring the fact luck and decision making are at play.

Old 05-11-2020, 10:06 PM

191 posts, read 90,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
You are spot on, but the media can't handle that this is mainly a NYC pandemic which will disproportionately cripple that city's competitive position for generations to come.

Misery loves company.
It's more of NE and Great Lakes pandemic. The issue is we had no plan and winged it.

NYC came back after 9/11 pretty strong, but this will certainly be another major set back for them.

Old 05-11-2020, 10:08 PM

191 posts, read 90,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post

Frankly federal leadership doesn't have to be a one size fits all response. The early onset was the most important time period and we let it get out of control as the virus doesn't follow state borders or any man made border.

Old 05-11-2020, 11:09 PM

18,656 posts, read 33,254,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaminB12 View Post

NYC came back after 9/11 pretty strong, but this will certainly be another major set back for them.
9/11 wasn't contagious, or an issue person to person. It did trouble me when people felt it was strictly a NYC occurrence. After all, our country was attacked by outside forces. Do people have to feel personally affected to be interested in an attack on our country or our fellow citizens?

That's nothing like a virus, that is not an attack on the country, that is spreading all over the country. I fear that people outside of the urban Northeast will see it as a problem for decrepit old people, immigrants and people of color and find them all to be "other."

Old 05-12-2020, 01:20 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,516,530 times
Of course there's a chance the economy recovers in 5 years, IMO a very good chance. And what does "the real deal" even mean? Are you implying the economy is ruined for good? No one, and I mean NO ONE knows with certainty where the economy will be in 5 years. It might be much, much better. It could be much, much worse. Or anything in between. My biggest worry right now is boredom. Many others who I've talked to feel the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics