U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Economic conditions in the United States in January 2022.
Expansion 56 54.37%
recession 24 23.30%
depression 23 22.33%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2020, 08:42 PM

644 posts, read 255,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
I know! Let’s take nominal GDP and divide it by the deflator. I just came up with this, but I think I’ll call it “Real GDP.” What do you think?

You’ve predicting doom all thread, now you’re simply saying lower than 2019. No deal. It’s a very real possibility that we could be in a recession for the next two years.
I'm confident that the state of the economy will be so bad 3 years from now, that no one will deny that it's a depression. And I'm willing to make that bet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2020, 09:00 PM

8,082 posts, read 7,505,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
I'm confident that the state of the economy will be so bad 3 years from now, that no one will deny that it's a depression. And I'm willing to make that bet.
I hope you’re wrong. If you are you’ll take a macroeconomics class?

Old 05-21-2020, 10:15 PM

136 posts, read 30,535 times
I believe around 3 years i when the Us will start seeing slow economic progress, after 2-3 years of economic recession.

Old 05-21-2020, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post

What resulted in a cohort of economists that simply can not see what is going on as, as their base line of thinking, they are foreign to such idea. Out of roughly 25 Nobel winners in economics, since 2008, when current crisis started, not a single one ever wrote a word on that crisis.

Have you fact checked this? Who are they? It’s completely unbelievable unless these economists fields of study were outside of the scope of the crisis.

Old 05-21-2020, 11:27 PM

1,175 posts, read 725,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Oh, I’m well aware. It’s why I’m fairly certain you’re all nuts. You don’t let facts drive your conclusions, and instead rely on fabricated fantasies.

Have you done any reading on why people believe conspiracy theories? There is a ton of research out there.

https://www.google.com/search?q=why%...=firefox-b-1-m

I put depression as my vote, but I really believe we are going through a transformation into a totally new economic and political system. I also believe that 2019 was the last year of the United States as we knew it. If you think I am nuts, that is okay. I just wanted to give you my perspective.

Old 05-22-2020, 07:11 AM

20,897 posts, read 23,285,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
The FED is propping up a fiscal/monetary system that's ultimately not sustainable.

How does it make sense for housing/rent to keep increasing to astronomical levels?#!

Sometimes, there needs to be some deflation in the system as much as the Powers That Be hate it so much...
Because people keep having kids and multiplying. We can’t build housing fast enough and too many damn people want to live in popular areas. It’s called supply and demand. Which doesn’t stop because it’s a bad economy.
There are places that COL is cheap but few really wanna live there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
Enjoy that sweet deal while it lasts. BTW our federal government has a long list of capital controls (some extrajudicial) in place to prevent average Joes or Janes from moving their assets out of USDs. Producer nations are moving to deprecate the USD and IMO they will eventually succeed in replacing it as the reserve currency. Five years? Ten years? The shift will eventually occur because economies based on expanding debt without any corresponding production growth are doomed to fall behind.

Ok so who is gonna step in and take the place of a dollar? The yen? The ruble? The pound? None of those countries have the economic power to step in.

Quote:
Sorry but Covid has put a permanent stop to the euphoric drunken debt party of 2019. Those "good ol' days" are never coming back.
They said that at every downturn. The good ol days are never coming back. Bull. As soon as you open up stores people are gonna go. Initially there will be some reservations but people will go back to their lives.

Quote:
As I said before, the government has nothing it doesn't first take from the people. The most helpful thing for the government to do in a crisis is cut spending and bureaucracy, reduce the burden of government on the people and the economy.
And the government is and will be taking a pay cut. Lots of people are gonna get furloughed, fired, pay cuts. its coming.

Quote:
Sorry I don’t think that at all.

Old 05-22-2020, 08:34 AM

2,600 posts, read 990,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie the heartbreaker View Post
I put depression as my vote, but I really believe we are going through a transformation into a totally new economic and political system. I also believe that 2019 was the last year of the United States as we knew it. If you think I am nuts, that is okay. I just wanted to give you my perspective.
You’re not nuts, the times they are a changin’. Just look at the Presidential tickets for both major parties. One guy is 74, the other is 77, and neither one has a clue about the aspirations of the two generations that are going to make this country operate day-day. It’s the biggest disconnect I’ve seen in my lifetime.

This week Eric Weinstein’s podcast “The Portal” had a discussion with Balaji Srinivasan, a Silicon Valley tech-guy that among other things touched on money and reserve currencies. The world today has three choices that can be trusted for a reserve currency. #1 is the USD, a currency backed by military might, #2 is age-old - precious metals, which are backed by scarcity and chemistry, and #3 is cryptographic, currencies backed by mathematical “truth”. Of these three, only #s 1 and 3 are scalable for use in a modern society.

The common assumption is that the USD has a lock on things because the U.S. military is dominant, but maintaining that dominance requires a growing, functional economy. Recent events show the fragility of that assumption. As the older generations are swept from power, the newer folks might not be adverse to a wholesale change in thinking about what constitutes “money”. The stage is set.

Old 05-22-2020, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
You’re not nuts, the times they are a changin’. Just look at the Presidential tickets for both major parties. One guy is 74, the other is 77, and neither one has a clue about the aspirations of the two generations that are going to make this country operate day-day. It’s the biggest disconnect I’ve seen in my lifetime.

This week Eric Weinstein’s podcast “The Portal” had a discussion with Balaji Srinivasan, a Silicon Valley tech-guy that among other things touched on money and reserve currencies. The world today has three choices that can be trusted for a reserve currency. #1 is the USD, a currency backed by military might, #2 is age-old - precious metals, which are backed by scarcity and chemistry, and #3 is cryptographic, currencies backed by mathematical “truth”. Of these three, only #s 1 and 3 are scalable for use in a modern society.

The common assumption is that the USD has a lock on things because the U.S. military is dominant, but maintaining that dominance requires a growing, functional economy. Recent events show the fragility of that assumption. As the older generations are swept from power, the newer folks might not be adverse to a wholesale change in thinking about what constitutes “money”. The stage is set.
A tech guy was saying crypto currency is the future???? I’m shocked.

Whose common assumption is that the dollar is the world’s currency primarily because of the US military? That’s simply not the case. I posted an article highlighting the boxes a currency must check to be the global currency. Did you read it? https://www.city-data.com/forum/58159777-post48.html

The fact that we have two septuagenarians as the nominees shows that people are far more resistant to change than we would suspect. One is the standard bearer of the traditional liberal democracy and the other is the standard bearer of the racist underclass. Neither group wants dramatic change. Trump’s whole slogan is keep America the way it was in a nostalgic fantasy world. Biden’s appeal is the stability of the pre-Trump years.

Stability matters in markets. You don’t get that from crypto.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 05-22-2020 at 09:55 AM..

Old 05-22-2020, 10:23 AM

7,367 posts, read 2,734,494 times
Poll: Economic conditions in the United States in January 2022.

Expansion or contraction relative to what? Quarter over quarter, year over year? Spring 2021 Y-o-Y will show lots of growth due to the easy comparison with spring 2020.

It all depends on whether or not a 2nd wave of the virus appears next winter, how severe it is, and whether or not a vaccine or proven treatment regimen is developed in time. Who knows. For the poll I took the optimistic side, assuming weak "growth" based on an easy comparison to Jan 2020....

Old 05-22-2020, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Poll: Economic conditions in the United States in January 2022.

Expansion or contraction relative to what? Quarter over quarter, year over year? Spring 2021 Y-o-Y will show lots of growth due to the easy comparison with spring 2020.

It all depends on whether or not a 2nd wave of the virus appears next winter, how severe it is, and whether or not a vaccine or proven treatment regimen is developed in time. Who knows. For the poll I took the optimistic side, assuming weak "growth" based on an easy comparison to Jan 2020....
100% agree. It’s very hard to make a great economic model until the medical question is answered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or