Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2023, 05:27 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times

Advertisements

Why does nearly everybody want easy riches when they know such a thing is impossible to achieve?

What is it about human psychology that they don’t like the bottom line and their place in life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2023, 06:47 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,902,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Why does nearly everybody want easy riches when they know such a thing is impossible to achieve?

What is it about human psychology that they don’t like the bottom line and their place in life?

That's like asking why water flows through the path of least resistance. Except you argue that in this case, there is no path of least resistance. Everyone must toil tirelessly for what little they are able to scrape up monetarily speaking. It sounds like you are assuming all work pays according to the effort applied and this is the only way to become rich.

Old 07-11-2023, 08:42 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,478,124 times
if it is easy to make money,a Malibu condo would cost you $100 million

Old 07-11-2023, 09:02 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times
Have some accident, blame on local govt, and sue the living crapola out of the taxpayers.

Join the right Frat, let them bully, and haze you, then get a job in I-Banking, then buy some RE, flip it, then flip more. That is what my cousin did but instead of just flipping he develops large condo/commercial mall complexes. It is almost the same because he does lease out or outright sell units.

If you a pretty girl, you can do OnlyFans.

It really just about getting to a certain level of income. Then you can become a speculator. As long as you dont speculate too far out there, you should be pretty settled.

edit, oh yeh, and my cousin married into a wealthy family too. That helped. Stan Kroenke did the same thing. He married a Walmart Scionette, and just buys property that Walmart pays him to let his wife's family's business to be on.

Old 07-12-2023, 03:12 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
what do you consider a lot of money ?

most american don’t have even a million dollars but we have more that do then ever before

Old 07-12-2023, 07:06 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
It comes down to envy. People see the social media influencers getting rich by just hopping around on TikTok, and the new college graduates in tech jobs at Amazon or Microsoft starting at $200k, and think they should make the same with a high school diploma or AA for being a cashier at Walmart, bank teller, or telemarketing in a call center for an auto warranty place.

Only 10% of Americans make over $200k, the median family income is still only $70k, and 50% of Americans make less than that.

Old 07-12-2023, 07:49 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
i never was a high earner but i did make efficient use of what i did mange to scrimp , save and invest .

so today just my ira is multiple 7 figures from rollovers and profit sharing plans over the decades.

we used the sale of my house to buy a business and made even more .

so it isn’t just about income …it is about deploying what you have as efficiently as you can .

even a penny doubling every day for a mere 30 days is 5,369,000 dollars.

making good money is where preparation, skill , opportunity and luck all converge.

those who really want to be successful will find a way , the rest willl find an excuse

Last edited by mathjak107; 07-12-2023 at 08:06 AM..

Old 07-12-2023, 08:02 AM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
It comes down to envy. People see the social media influencers getting rich by just hopping around on TikTok, and the new college graduates in tech jobs at Amazon or Microsoft starting at $200k, and think they should make the same with a high school diploma or AA for being a cashier at Walmart, bank teller, or telemarketing in a call center for an auto warranty place.

Only 10% of Americans make over $200k, the median family income is still only $70k, and 50% of Americans make less than that.
I do hear a lot anoint how much these social media influencers make and apparently some make a lot. I still don't think just anyone can get on social media and get rich. You have to have a talent or look like a model. Then maybe you can make some money

I think we just hear more about how much people make through the internet and on social. I've seen some people become very rich through a business they started. Like almost unfairly rich or I won the jackpot rich. They weren't the smartest people, and no I'm not calling them dumb either. They just happened to be in the right place at the right time. 2010's were a very good decade to get rich.

Old 07-12-2023, 08:06 AM

9,127 posts, read 6,180,105 times
I won the birthday lottery! I am an early baby boomer and entered the workforce when large companies provided excellent benefits.

As a woman with a STEM degree (although it was yet named STEM), I had my pick of jobs. Many of the men who would ordinarily have been offered these jobs, were staying in school because of the Viet Nam war era draft. Companies were forced (by the laws of supply and demand, not the Federal govt) to offer these jobs to woman. Yea me!

My career path was mostly in fields that valued meritocracy. Merit was determined by passing qualifying professional exams or was measured against industry benchmark performance.

Those of us who advanced, were compensated with above average pay and benefits.

Prudent living (but not totally frugal living) and strategic investment decisions resulted in a nice retirement investment portfolio.

My DH and I retired in our fifties to a life of relative freedom to pursue our interests.

I wouldn't call my path "easy riches", but I was definitely helped by being born when I was.

Luck and smarts were my path to riches!

Old 07-12-2023, 09:56 AM

10,350 posts, read 8,567,170 times
Social media has made many people think it’s easy to get rich. When I drive my Ferrari or mclaren many young men ask me how to such a car. When I tell them it takes years of hard work and sacrifice they look so disappointed there wasn’t a get rich in three months with no effort secret to be learned.
It isn’t uncommon to see young people posing with my cars for selfies. I have no doubt they are telling people it’s their car and giving the impression their life is much grander than reality.
We found a wanna be rapper taking selfies with our cars and posting them up on social media like they were his lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics