Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will cash disappear on account of Covid-19
Yes, cash is too dirty to handle and vendors will no longer accept it permanently 5 6.67%
No, cash will remain as widely accepted as before and maybe even more 49 65.33%
Not entirely but vendors will still seriously discourage its use 21 28.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2020, 05:20 PM

19,033 posts, read 27,599,679 times

Advertisements

hert84 got it best.

China already took old notes out of circulation under virus protection pretext.

I am bombarded with emails to go electronic on everything. Insurances, banks, cell company, utilities...

Yes indeed, they want control over every penny, so digital is their goal.

there already is digital yuan.

It's headed that way, folks, it's headed.... Now,none of that bitcoin thing.. "legit" but digital money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2020, 09:00 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
Cash is very dirty and always has been. It goes through too many hands. Always use hand sanitizer after handling.

Old 05-18-2020, 09:27 PM

4,904 posts, read 3,361,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Digital scamming has continued to be on the upsurge.
Seen debit cards /credit cards compromised.
Just yesterday I got a scam email that said I had a 'credit' refund due, that was from a world known bank. I laughed since I have no credit card with them and absolutely do not use the peer to peer network to pay a person.
Yet my cash in my secured area hasn't been tampered with.
Sorry folks, cash during this time is still accepted.

Correct that digital monitoring continues to see where folks are spending or investing.
Currency that is tangible form, whether that be cash or even gold/silver, will have a distinct advantages for a long time yet.

Old 05-18-2020, 09:28 PM

4,904 posts, read 3,361,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
hert84 got it best.

China already took old notes out of circulation under virus protection pretext.

I am bombarded with emails to go electronic on everything. Insurances, banks, cell company, utilities...

Yes indeed, they want control over every penny, so digital is their goal.

there already is digital yuan.

It's headed that way, folks, it's headed.... Now,none of that bitcoin thing.. "legit" but digital money.
It's also easier to prevent bank runs and implement negative rates with "digital-only" currency...

Old 05-19-2020, 04:38 AM

3,497 posts, read 2,663,404 times
The last Friday of every month I place two envelopes on a table in my backyard, one has the name of the pool guy and the other the yard guy. Both are very happy and prefer receiving the cash in each envelope.

Old 05-19-2020, 05:43 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
The last Friday of every month I place two envelopes on a table in my backyard, one has the name of the pool guy and the other the yard guy. Both are very happy and prefer receiving the cash in each envelope.
I've got mixed feelings on that. I paid my son's caregivers for years with a check but I'm pretty sure they never reported the income. When asked if they were willing to supply their SSN so I could use my FSA and/or get the child care credit on my taxes, they were not. I figured they were excellent with DS and that was most important. (Sorry, the statute of limitations is up- DS now has kids of his own.)

So- I've been guilty of contributing to the underground economy but now it annoys me. Every darned dime I've made other than babysitting as a teenager has been reported to the gubmint and taxed at the applicable rates. I hire people who do things on the books even though it costs more.

Old 05-19-2020, 07:14 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,431,507 times
I only used cash maybe once or twice a year anyways prior to the pandemic.

Old 05-19-2020, 09:34 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,166,113 times
I lose money if I use cash. My credit cards pay me cashback bonuses every month for using them. I pay them off so I never pay interest. In effect, my credit cards have a negative interest rate. I have never gotten a cashback bonus for using cash.

And, using credit cards comes with a fraud and theft guarantee. If you get ripped off during a cash transaction, you are out of luck.

Wisely used credit cards are superior to cash. Paper money is so last century ;-)

Old 05-19-2020, 10:19 AM

274 posts, read 174,078 times
No, if anything, the value of money would go down. That would not make cash disappear but much less valuable. Similar to the German currency after the Treaty of Versailles. Cash can't just disappear, it's always in circulation, somewhere.

Old 05-19-2020, 01:56 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,493,228 times
Power blackout is the most immediate digital currency failure. Later there's grid reduction as the energy cost rises. I expect barter and other arrangements will mostly replace cash, which will be more precious metals and less wiping paper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics