U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2020, 02:48 PM

1,982 posts, read 503,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
The US is incredibly family-unfriendly.
Well, not if you come from enough privilege to make all those cost issues a minor thing.

Call it economic eugenics, I guess. And since possession of wealth is the defining metric of the very best, brightest, most honorable and worthy among us, who's to complain?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2020, 03:10 PM

21,426 posts, read 37,655,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
As much as M( as in 'thousand words per post') can annoy me, I agree.

If you want to argue this stuff, some review of the base stats and numbers goes a long ways in building and justifying a sensible argument. Vaguely pontificating on a news article, pretty much any news article regardless of source but much more so for a devalued and untrustworthy shell like WSJ... well, I guess it's entertaining, but anyone who's hanging in the Econ forum for "entertainment" purposes is one deranged puppy.

It often takes no more than seconds to look up salient numbers of more reliability than what some feature reporter thought he read somewhere.
Even sources like Census Quickfacts site have a good amount of population demographic data that is detailed. One can draw quite a few inferences and conclusions from that depending on how you analyze the data.

Old 05-21-2020, 03:35 PM

8,697 posts, read 2,418,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
I think there are two separate issues:
  • The actual data - a drop in birth rates
  • The journalists interpretation of the data

The latter point is always limited by space (column-inches). The SS support issue is just one of numerous issues. I can imagine a college senior thesis being written about the implications of the actual data.
I am just going by what the article you linked said. And it said that we need a higher birthrate to keep funding social security. And your thread title called that troubling. Otherwise for the average person it makes no difference if the birthrate drops and we have less people in America.

Quote:
Those policy proposals - and others - are certainly worthy of discussion. Note that each of them is "how do we treat the symptom" rather than address the root cause.
Social security has a major flaw. It was started without the first retires having to pay for it. So its been a ponzi scheme since day one. We have never been able to catch up and do it right. In a country now with close to 30 trillion in debt I don't see the money out there to get it in line. Only solution I see is the cut it back.

Quote:
There I disagree. I think the reverse will be true.
You think there will be less automation and more unskilled jobs?

Old 05-21-2020, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I am just going by what the article you linked said. And it said that we need a higher birthrate to keep funding social security.
Which is about as loaded a position as there is, especially from what's devolved to a right-wing mouthpiece. It's groundwork for OMG IMMIGRATION! and SOCIAL SECURITY IS FAILING WE SHOULD PRIVATIZE IT INTO USELESSNESS! while pretending to soberly consider the issues.

Social security will become a non-issue within 25 years. Whether the US survives as the kind of nation we know it as depends on a sensible immigration policy... which is not codespeke for "only let in 30yo professionals."

Old 05-21-2020, 05:24 PM

5,226 posts, read 2,905,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
People seem to forget what kind of economy young people have had to endure in the last 20 years. We are now into our 3rd. Recession in that time frame with the 2008-2009 one literally destroying careers and finding a job with financial stability & healthcare.
Who in their right mind would bring a child into the world in a situation like that?
I have 6 nieces & nephews and only 2 are married.
None have children because they can't afford too.
It's no longer a viable option for many young people.
The people born between 1982-1988 had it the absolute worst. Many of them graduated into the late 2000s recession and have been affected by COVID 2020. And then we wonder why they aren't having kids!

Old 05-21-2020, 07:08 PM

8,697 posts, read 2,418,954 times
Quote:
Which is about as loaded a position as there is, especially from what's devolved to a right-wing mouthpiece. It's groundwork for OMG IMMIGRATION! and SOCIAL SECURITY IS FAILING WE SHOULD PRIVATIZE IT INTO USELESSNESS! while pretending to soberly consider the issues.

Social security will become a non-issue within 25 years. Whether the US survives as the kind of nation we know it as depends on a sensible immigration policy... which is not codespeke for "only let in 30yo professionals."
Automation is going to take away lots of unskilled and entry level jobs. So opening the floodgates and to keep letting in unskilled workers so they can compete with our citizens is cruel. Its not fair to our citizens and green card holders. Why not insist on the best and the brightest?

Old 05-21-2020, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Automation is going to take away lots of unskilled and entry level jobs. So opening the floodgates and to keep letting in unskilled workers so they can compete with our citizens is cruel. Its not fair to our citizens and green card holders. Why not insist on the best and the brightest?
Automation is going to take away a lot of jobs quite a ways further up the chain than 'unskilled and entry level.' Imagining that that's the sides of the issue is outstandingly myopic.

No one said anything about 'opening the floodgates'; I quite carefully said the opposite. Don't dog-whistle me. For one thing, we largely do not let in those with no skills; it's the illegals, largely in the SW, that do the scut/field work because even legal immigrants don't want to.

And 'best and brightest' goes considerably beyond 30yos with sh*tty IT degrees.

Old 05-21-2020, 09:05 PM

1,533 posts, read 725,926 times
Quote:
Automation is going to take away a lot of jobs quite a ways further up the chain than 'unskilled and entry level.' Imagining that that's the sides of the issue is outstandingly myopic.

No one said anything about 'opening the floodgates'; I quite carefully said the opposite. Don't dog-whistle me. For one thing, we largely do not let in those with no skills; it's the illegals, largely in the SW, that do the scut/field work because even legal immigrants don't want to.

And 'best and brightest' goes considerably beyond 30yos with sh*tty IT degrees.
According to you, the only problem was the occupant of the White House and his administration since this decline in fertility rates started in 2008.

Old 05-21-2020, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuiteLiving View Post
According to you, the only problem was the occupant of the White House and his administration since this decline in fertility rates started in 2008.
Quote and cite where I said anything even remotely like "only," or that I said anything about the current monkey, or that I said anything about a time frame.

Or go study up on RFC, since it eludes you. Start with the point that you interpreted my comments as meaning something specific that you object to... and which of us that says the most about.

Old 05-21-2020, 09:36 PM

9,611 posts, read 10,231,140 times
Quote:
Quote and cite where I said anything even remotely like "only," or that I said anything about the current monkey, or that I said anything about a time frame.

Or go study up on RFC, since it eludes you. Start with the point that you interpreted my comments as meaning something specific that you object to... and which of us that says the most about.
You might want to review your post #2 in this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics