U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2020, 10:00 AM

1,988 posts, read 503,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltdumbear View Post
This Human 'Race' NEEDS to slow down, and STOP breeding like rabbits.
And we need to stop using fossil fuels, pretty much right now, too.

Again, you're invited to connect the dots between a non-replacement level of births and the demographic/economic crisis that follows in a fairly short time. Or the consequences of an abrupt end to our basic energy source. Pretty much the same situations with different pieces.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2020, 10:04 AM

1,533 posts, read 725,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
An era of hatred, anger and polarization diminishes the general trend of having children, whether it's due to war, economic depression or an administration that simply makes life unpleasant for as many of generally family-raising age and situation as it can.
Of course you have the studies to back up this assertion.

Old 05-20-2020, 10:06 AM

And, the article cited may be skewing the data considerably. Most sources put the US birth rate at a very steady 12 per thousand people, with minor sub-one-percent bounces for quite some time. The virus issue is likely to produce a dip, but probably not a long-term drop.

So maybe there's no real 'troubling issue' here at all?

Old 05-20-2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuiteLiving View Post
Of course you have the studies to back up this assertion.
They're published every day.

Old 05-20-2020, 10:12 AM

1,533 posts, read 725,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
They're published every day.
So the administration is the cause of the drop, so the downward trend that started in 2008 is all related to the occupant of the white house and the administration he put in place?

https://www.macrotrends.net/countrie...fertility-rate

Old 05-20-2020, 10:26 AM

588 posts, read 198,711 times
what's troubling about this?

this absolutely fantastic news.

Old 05-20-2020, 10:28 AM

588 posts, read 198,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Why immigration? Why not just have policies that encourage more children in US families?
the gov't already does this and they should not be.
they encourage morons to keep shooting out kids they can't afford or take care of properly.

Old 05-20-2020, 11:05 AM

3,632 posts, read 1,487,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
<snip>
Women HAD to go to work to maintain family desire to "live the life" and to pay off consumer debt.
Simply look into statistics, how many married women worked before and work now (well, before they lost their jobs currently).
<snip>
This is part of general policy to reduce world population. Create psychological and economic conditions, when families volunteer not to have children. What is, currently, plague in Europe. True Europeans simply do not want to have children.
I'm old enough to remember when women couldn't get into medical and law schools or into management tracks in corporations. Sandra Day O'Connor graduated from Stanford's law school and got one offer- as a librarian in a law library. Many of us stayed in the workforce after having children because we had access to educational and career opportunities that made it worthwhile. In my own situation (first husband unemployed last 5 years of the marriage, six years as a single mother, remarried to a dear man who was 15 years older who retired and started on SS after we moved for my job), it was a stabilizing influence. How many families are staying a float and maybe even have health insurance because of the wife's job?

I also believe that smaller family size is also a function of more reliable and easily-available birth control. Thank God for that!

I do agree, though, that a decreasing population brings problems of its own as fewer people in the workforce support more retirees in the population. Unfortunately, many systems such as SS have a Ponzi element that falls apart as the average population age increases. It's something countries such as Japan are dealing with now and we'll have to deal with it as well in the US. IMO it's better than over-population.

Old 05-20-2020, 11:37 AM

6,634 posts, read 6,725,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
We don't need any more damn people in this country or the world. What we need is not more people or immigration, what we need is to abolish this deranged economic model of infinite GDP growth and infinite debt expansion
Yeah, have to say I agree. We need fewer people, not more, and to the extent any economy depends on more and more people, guess what? We’re gonna have to rethink that. Because it isn’t going to be reality. Many more people - the most intelligent, according to studies - are choosing to have no kids at all, or fewer. The dumbest people usually have the most kids, which is also not a fantastic sign for humanity. Many high income, high IQ people who do have a family have just one kid.

With higher education and frankly just more to do in the world, it’s hard for many people (myself included) to understand why I’d want the laundry list of negatives associated with having kids. My life is awesome! It would be terrible having to wake up early, change diapers, spend money on another brat in the world, and generally lose the time for things I love doing. Many other young people feel the same way. Bless the ones who do go down that path, seriously we need them, but for me? Not what I consider “the good life.”

Old 05-20-2020, 11:46 AM

5,969 posts, read 1,755,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
We don't need any more damn people in this country or the world.
False.

We know exactly the maximum number of people who can enter the workforce 21 years from now: they have already been born.

Absent net immigration, in 21 years, there will not be enough live human beings inside the USA in the workforce to do the work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics