Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2020, 09:50 AM

3,346 posts, read 2,195,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
I guess you missed it. The discussion was to increase immigration of women of childbearing years rather than relying upon a lottery.
And, while I don't defend M often, he was addressing a specific turn in the argument. Reliable data trumps cooked sensationalism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2020, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuiteLiving View Post
Trump would be proud of you, it’s a page straight out of his playbook. When there’s a statement you no longer want attributed to you just deny it and attack the person pointing it out.

I will acknowledge you did not provide a time frame. I can only imagine that you were under the impression this trend began with the “current monkey” since the article focused on 2017 and 2018, not realizing the trend has been in place for much longer. Once this was pointed out, looks like you decided you no longer wanted to defend your original assertion.
Oh, please. You make me want to chant "I'm rubber, you're glue," here.

You misread my first post. You misread my second post. Your prejudices assigned narrow political nonsense to what I wrote. And when I said so and that you need to Read For Context better, you descend to this.

Let's complete your descent... *click*.

Old 05-22-2020, 10:01 AM

9,820 posts, read 11,534,907 times
I have one Gen Y and 2 Gen Z Kids. None of them are married. The Gen Y lives in the Bay Area with his long time Girlfriend. The 2 Gen Z kids, Boy and Girl, both live at home and are still in college. Both currently have no Boyfriend, Girlfriends and very few friends. Both would sit and play video games all day If I let them.
I blame this mostly on my Bread winning wife. These 2 kids have only seen a, six figure, upper administrative, prude, no fun women as a role model. My wife’s mom was a career Lawyer so that’s all she saw growing up. I think something is broke in this country and I goes way past birth rates.

Old 05-22-2020, 10:11 AM

8,479 posts, read 6,875,465 times
Fewer people. Flatten the population curve. We don’t need more people to pollute and live a heavily materialistic life style. You can live a meaningful life without an economy pumping out junk that we don’t need in the first place.

Old 05-22-2020, 10:13 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,426,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
I blame this mostly on my Bread winning wife. These 2 kids have only seen a, six figure, upper administrative, prude, no fun women as a role model. My wife’s mom was a career Lawyer so that’s all she saw growing up. I think something is broke in this country and I goes way past birth rates.

Where were you?

For the record, I'm like your wife because my mom was a stay at home mom.

Last edited by charolastra00; 05-22-2020 at 10:22 AM..

Old 05-22-2020, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Fewer people. Flatten the population curve. We don’t need more people to pollute and live a heavily materialistic life style. You can live a meaningful life without an economy pumping out junk that we don’t need in the first place.
You've almost got it.

Reduce global population on a Phase 1: 100 Years basis. Restructure major national economies around a different basis than the biggest dumpster fire we can create.

Old 05-22-2020, 10:48 AM

274 posts, read 173,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
You've almost got it.

Reduce global population on a Phase 1: 100 Years basis. Restructure major national economies around a different basis than the biggest dumpster fire we can create.
Agreed, we also, we need to crackdown on Private corporations owning big swaths of what are considered "Essential rights"

We need to start with schooling, how many school districts in Ohio alone? 611. How many corrupt ones? countless dozens I bet.

We do not need that many school districts in one state, let alone every state in the US. The key to good education is a good education system, followed by good regulations, so corruption in the school system isn't as easy.

If we can bring that number down to 10-11 per state, we can start focusing and helping much more on education than our corrupt system is, and rooting out the corrupt school systems, since there are too many in the US to count.

Especially in the inner cities, they need a dire change, nothing in the school curriculum is currently helping people living in those areas, we need to start implementing real life situations into the everyday classroom.

Things like credit score, how much a house will cost, financial planning, family planning, how to create a resume, why having a record at a young age is sure-way to not being able to live a stable life, things that will help these kids understand the gravity of the real world is like.

I sure wish my teachers taught me credit score before I recklessly used my credit card, and ended up paying much more in interest then I ever would had I paid it off.

Old 05-22-2020, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarbroo View Post
Agreed...
Well, there are short term issues and long term ones. Most of what you've noted is immediate stuff. I can't agree more that young adults should be turned out with far, far more personal financial understanding, along with that nebulous and ill-taught "critical thinking." Teaching to the tests, teaching for job entry, teaching for college entry... all badly undercut if the mopes are so stupid they're screwed up for life financially by 25. It's an issue separate from all others; practical economic education is something we do badly at and should fix starting right-the-eff-now.

But good luck on that; the overall system wants pliable, gullible consumers even more than it wants pliable, gullible voters.

This is getting away from the thread topic, though.

Old 05-22-2020, 02:48 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,264,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
If we're going to encourage childbirth, we need to encourage breeding by the right kinds of people.

The birthrate for college educated, white collar professionals is really low. Those kids are the ones that have the parental involvement and resources that best positions them for success. The birth rates for the poor and working classes are higher, and many of those kids will not have the parental involvement or resources to succeed in life.
While a subsequent post brought up the ugly subject of eugenics in response, I've been thinking about how to point out tactfully what I see, independent of eugenics.

People who were raised by parents who taught them how to read, how to ride a bicycle, who built things with them, who helped them with their homework, enforced discipline and saved for their college education will view parenting as a very heavy commitment. They may well limit family size based on their own resources- financial, emotional, time, etc. As I noted earlier, I certainly would not have wanted more than two.

People raised by parents who were OK with what the government programs (WIC, EBT, whatever they call welfare now) paid them, who left education to the schools, who were never read to, who spent a lot of time with TV and video games and who never worried about the cost of college education will have a different view of the commitment involved in having a child and may very well have more kids than the ones raised by more involved parents.

Not a good trend.

Old 05-22-2020, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
While a subsequent post brought up the ugly subject of eugenics in response, I've been thinking about how to point out tactfully what I see, independent of eugenics.
Eugenics is almost wholly genetic in focus. There is simply no argument that children should be raised right, preferably by at least one parent, under stable circumstances.

But I'm sure there are pure Aryan couples out there with completely effed-up kids, and couples of "lesser heritage" whose kids all graduated from college. Only in a very general sense do nature and nurture overlap here.

The US has failed its children on a wide and generational level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics