U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2020, 08:15 PM

585 posts, read 198,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
Because people are in debt up to their eyeballs and have little to nothing saved up.
this is the correct answer in most cases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2020, 09:17 PM

10,759 posts, read 9,457,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I keep reading news of food banks having long lines before it opens up and how dire it is for the recent unemployed. But unless you are an illegal you should have gotten the stimulus check along with unemployment benefits including the Federal additional $600/week bonus.

With rent being frozen at many cities and mortgages getting forbearance. This should help people free up $1500-3000+ in monthly living expenses.

CARES ACT Expands unemployment insurance benefits

Unemployment benefits for each person should receive atleast $1000/week+ with the CARES ACT bonus. That equates to around $4000+/month for the unemployed without having to pay rent or their mortgages for the time being. A couple should receive atleast $2000/week if they are both unemployed.

Isn't that too much assistance?
Florida's unemployment system is a mess. Not only did it take people weeks to log on and for Florida to straighten out the website, you absolutely cannot call them. I tried five times this morning and could not get through. My unemployment says I am eligible and I have been approved. I have yet to see any money.

I personally have been unemployed since March 14th and haven't seen a dime.

Rent doesn't go away, you still have to pay.

People have different bills. I have servers that have been out of work for two months. Things like medicine, gas, food have to be paid for. Yes, Comcast may not not off your cable but you still have to buy groceries.

Old 05-21-2020, 10:30 PM

16,385 posts, read 10,583,780 times
The reason why we haven't seen mass looting or riots yet because I think there are enough safety nets in place to keep the streets empty at night in NYC. Sure, crime has risen because that d-bag DeBlasio has let out a lot of criminals to prevent them from getting corona but people aren't breaking down store windows. Instead there is usually a mad dash at the Costco store early to try to beat other shoppers to the usual shortage items.

As long as people are getting handouts I think the economic fallout are retail businesses and local economy that depends on workers.

Amazon warehouse is hiring, Target, Costcos, super markets all hiring all shifts. This is a sign that people are all sitting home laying back and living large on government assistance.

Old 05-22-2020, 12:30 AM

2,731 posts, read 1,178,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
It is now May.

We're about five weeks beyond the normal 4/15 filing deadline. If someone hasn't filed by now without a good reason, that's basically on them. It is not the fault of the government.

Other than the elderly, how many people can't access a web browser to file a standard tax return at Turbo Tax or whatever in this day and age?
People who filed via paper way back in March to current haven't even had their returns looked at. The mail is in quarantine due to the virus. The IRS is not opening mail.

A lot of people rely on the libraries for internet access. Libraries have been closed for over two months now.

Old 05-22-2020, 03:54 AM

80,166 posts, read 78,518,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
Your husband is a massive exception. There are way more people scamming unemployment than voluntarily not taking it.
He'd be far better off taking it and donating it to a good charity than letting the government keep it.While he's trying to be noble an extra person is not actually going to get his.
i don't know why someone who's employer contributed money on their behalf for years in to the company unemployment account would not take what was actually part of their compensation package ..

whatever .... don't want it don't take it ....

for those who are not aware the employer is contributing in to a company account with unemployment on your behalf putting money in to THEIR unemployment fund should you be entitled to take it back .... the unemployment ( not the 600 ) is paid from the company account ...if the account does not have enough money the state loans the employer money at interest and then raises the rate the employer pays in to the fund to cover it ...

even the 600 is really a rebate of taxes we paid in to the irs . anything that lets me keep more of the money i earned through decades of working , tax paying and employer contributions in to the fund on my behalf is just fine if i am entitled to it . i would never say just keep it . i would sooner take it and do as i please .

employers have contributed in to their unemployment fund on my behalf for 42 years . up until now i never took a penny out .

.. any money i am entitled to , you can be sure i will take .

we donated our stimulus check to st mary's childrens hospital .. my wife does volunteer work there

Last edited by mathjak107; 05-22-2020 at 04:16 AM..

Old 05-22-2020, 05:05 AM

22,359 posts, read 11,497,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I keep reading news of food banks having long lines before it opens up and how dire it is for the recent unemployed. But unless you are an illegal you should have gotten the stimulus check along with unemployment benefits including the Federal additional $600/week bonus.

With rent being frozen at many cities and mortgages getting forbearance. This should help people free up $1500-3000+ in monthly living expenses.

CARES ACT Expands unemployment insurance benefits

Unemployment benefits for each person should receive atleast $1000/week+ with the CARES ACT bonus. That equates to around $4000+/month for the unemployed without having to pay rent or their mortgages for the time being. A couple should receive atleast $2000/week if they are both unemployed.

Isn't that too much assistance?
My daughter and son in law have a salon and have been shut down for over 2 months so they have all of the expenses of a business without the income. They do get I think $900/wk unemployment which means they are losing less now that they're getting that. But even with that amount, it's only a matter of time before it would bankrupt them.

My younger son has been denied unemployment due to his former employer claiming that he wasn't laid off and hasn't gotten anything yet.

Old 05-22-2020, 05:18 AM

6,200 posts, read 9,702,447 times
Personal debt levels exceeded the all time high just prior to this Covid-19 shutdown. A lot of people spend everything they make AND use leverage to get the toys they want today instead of saving. Wasn't the big story last fall the fact that over half the people in the US could not come up with 400 dollars in an emergency? It's as if everyone had forgotten what happened a mere 11 years ago.

Old 05-22-2020, 05:43 AM

80,166 posts, read 78,518,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Personal debt levels exceeded the all time high just prior to this Covid-19 shutdown. A lot of people spend everything they make AND use leverage to get the toys they want today instead of saving. Wasn't the big story last fall the fact that over half the people in the US could not come up with 400 dollars in an emergency? It's as if everyone had forgotten what happened a mere 11 years ago.
again , there is a lot of myth , hyperbole and stories that circulate about the supposed it health and resources of what we all are supposed to have . however there is no way anyone can really know since there is no more financial census . it is just a random sampling survey for
a long long time .

a lot of that debt is the fact money is the cheapest ever and not all debt is bad debt . at these levels you have more mortgages being taken then ever .

Australia's personal debt levels are the highest in the world ... they have not had a recession in decades .

as experian said , and they see first hand :

" Consumer debt has increased nearly $2.3 trillion since the height of the Great Recession in 2009—growing across almost all debt products to top $14 trillion in 2019. And while high debt often carries a negative connotation, the good news is the average FICO® Scores* of U.S. consumers have never been higher. At the same time, overall delinquency rates are at record lows, according to Experian data, showing that consumers are not only spending, but are generally doing so responsibly.

In addition to responsible repayment, incomes in the U.S. are growing at a rate that is outpacing the growth of debt."

Old 05-22-2020, 06:38 AM

1,151 posts, read 338,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
Your husband is a massive exception. There are way more people scamming unemployment than voluntarily not taking it.
He'd be far better off taking it and donating it to a good charity than letting the government keep it.While he's trying to be noble an extra person is not actually going to get his.
Cannot agree there are way more people scamming the system. Even if they don't qualify for unemployment, maybe they need the $ to meet basic needs as that is the spirit of these kitties eh? & it's $ to help stimulate the economy so it isn't just about that one particular individual.

Any sort of public fund is something we try not to get involved with. Signed up for Medicaid since it was difficult to get solid info as the ACA was rolled out. My employers health insurance was offered to me yet I never accepted it with the high deductible...useless...and it's only once a year sign up. Sraight/traditional medical charges the taxpayer $50 a month to be on the rolls. The Exchanges, it would be a "tax rebate" of hundreds of dollars fronted to us...though we'd only have paid about less than $100 for us both with REAL health insurance if I recall correctly. So signed up with employers health insurance as soon as the opening period started. We were able to avoid 3 months of the mandated penalty for not having health insurance due to medicaid. We've always cycled to some degree, keeping in shape more than most people to whatever degree, so we are cheap regarding healthcare. Except hubby;s breathing issues but we just buy any necessary equipment off ebay where I sell online.

As stated, getting a food stamp card for one month allowed us $10 internet. AT&T fraudulent charges for back years not allowing us to port over the business phone, bad. So each year, we will recoup $ without charging taxpayers really since not using the ebt card.

I receive an adder of $600 to my own unemployment check. Un-earned $. My new job doesn't start for months from now. we are more than set with our needs until then.

I am technically working right now earning $ while I'm taking unemployment. That is against the rules yet I don't care. Not making alot $$ yet sitting home doing nothing is not desired. This boring little town of 125 people is un-exciting. Campgrounds closed, AirB&B not allowed, second home owners discouraged from sheltering in place up here, huge signs telling visitors to kindly go home to shelter in place. We need to work for sanity. Nothing noble here (except the feeling maybe if not taking something that can drain a particular budget). Everyone chooses for themselves.

Last edited by SaraR.; 05-22-2020 at 07:27 AM..

Old 05-22-2020, 06:50 AM

1,151 posts, read 338,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
we donated our stimulus check to st mary's childrens hospital .. my wife does volunteer work there
He might have done something like this with unemployment benefits, however, we never thought of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or