U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2020, 02:48 AM

6,550 posts, read 8,928,236 times

Advertisements

I got approved for unemployment, thank God & started getting money through them this month (of May)!

Re: the $1200 stimulus check, I'm grateful for it yes, but that doesn't even cover my rent for a month & most leasing offices aren't allowing people to stop paying their rent. Covid or not, the heartless ___ still say, "Pay up or move out!"

I sure wish I was rich these days & didn't have to worry about working!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2020, 07:00 AM

10,360 posts, read 2,152,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I'm self employed and I did receive a notice to file from a separate program for small businesses. There are more strings attached but since I am still in business I have no need. What I see is the logistics from getting the money out to people.

NJ's unemployment system is over whelmed but they should've been able to handle that since the last 2 recessions. NJ pays $610/week in benefits and plus the CARES ACT that should be $1210/week for recent filers.

In Texas you receive $1000/week and with CARES ACT, that is $1600/week, you don't have to work if you're getting that much and can even pay for the mortgage easily.
Wow. That's more than $6000 a month - or close to double what the average worker gets on the job. Nobody will ever want to go back to work as long as the money spigot is still on.

Old 05-23-2020, 10:11 AM

7,876 posts, read 3,824,760 times
Those figures assume the person's maximum paid based on the computation utilized by it's states system.
I highly doubt that is the norm for most collecting.
In my state you'd have to make 70k consistently to receive the maximum 590 in full benefit. The cares act certainly DOES ease the stress for families enduring medical challenges.
I pay rent and all my monthly bills. Basic as they are. The rest is saved to cover the future when access to be employment will be modified.
I laud the folks who are willing to receive funds that for 40 years may had contributed thru taxes into. I consider it a forty year investment that I can accept with no dirty hands. Sadly though it knocks me out of qualifying for decent funded health insurance. Not that it's decent even when paying out the nose with the outrageous deductibles.

Old 05-23-2020, 10:16 AM

6,200 posts, read 9,702,447 times
In Texas you receive $1000/week and with CARES ACT, that is $1600/week, you don't have to work if you're getting that much and can even pay for the mortgage easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Wow. That's more than $6000 a month - or close to double what the average worker gets on the job. Nobody will ever want to go back to work as long as the money spigot is still on.
The information was not correct for Texas. Maximum unemployment is 521 per week and with the cares act it is 1121 per week or 4857.00 +/- per month. That is STILL very generous for unemployment. Of course the extra payment ends at the end of July.

Old 05-23-2020, 11:13 AM

5,075 posts, read 2,226,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
It is now May.

We're about five weeks beyond the normal 4/15 filing deadline. If someone hasn't filed by now without a good reason, that's basically on them. It is not the fault of the government.

Other than the elderly, how many people can't access a web browser to file a standard tax return at Turbo Tax or whatever in this day and age?
Us for one. Overseas stuck with no access to tax records. Laptop stayed home. Missing all the deadlines.

We filed electronically every year but our check came by mail . To Texas, lol.

Old 05-23-2020, 04:07 PM

6,341 posts, read 2,865,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
The unemployment benefits departments are overwhelmed and many people can’t get through to file. Plus they haven’t changed the system to accept self employed people.
I don't know what state you are in but I know many self employed in NY that are receiving their benefits. I know that many filed and were approved but have not certified each week to receive the benefits. Just because you file and are approved does not mean you are done with the process - you have to certify each week on the web site that you continued to be unemployed.

Old 05-23-2020, 05:08 PM

1,151 posts, read 338,051 times
Quote:
That doesn't make sense. Once the spigot is off, there are no jobs to be had. Surely this logic doesn't sneak by people. I am on unemployment benefits and have a job already however, it won't start for some months down the road. If it started tomorrow, I'd be there

Old 05-23-2020, 05:40 PM

15,429 posts, read 936,086 times
Quote:
I am waiting for the first person to raise a hand and confirm this theory.

Old 05-23-2020, 05:57 PM

588 posts, read 198,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraR. View Post
That doesn't make sense. Once the spigot is off, there are no jobs to be had. Surely this logic doesn't sneak by people. I am on unemployment benefits and have a job already however, it won't start for some months down the road. If it started tomorrow, I'd be there
it makes perfect sense for a lot of people.
if someone is making more money staying home from some dead end up that puts them at a health risk then they're going to stay home.

there will still be jobs once the spigot is turned off especially lower end ones.

Old 05-23-2020, 07:13 PM

5,106 posts, read 3,401,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It just isn't this simple, OP. When aid to self-employed people was announced in my state--a paltry $700, the website crashed within hours. Aid to small business owners/self-employed was gone in two days.
What programs are you talking about? Self employed and small business owners can get unemployment plus the extra $600 through July if they are not earning any money. The PPP program is still funding small businesses as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or