U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2020, 08:08 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,492,217 times

Advertisements

I haven't read through all this, but some people like me don't qualify for unemployment because we are still working full time.

I was making about $800 per week between my full-time job and a part-time job before all this hit. Take away the $150 per week from the past-time job and it was $650 or so from the full-time job. Now, the full-time job is paying less but it is still full-time. I am making $400-$450 per week now. So, I have lost close to half my income, but get no assistance from any program since I work full-time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2020, 11:03 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
25,210 posts, read 43,000,650 times
I do not know anyone in TX getting $1000/ week UI. $500/ week for high earners. But that would not include the majority of people who are on UI. The way the feds are throwing bones, one does realize how much dough flows through the normal economy daily. Then there is the CASH economy...

Old 05-23-2020, 11:18 PM

1,778 posts, read 833,643 times
As people mentioned, not everyone is getting unemployment timely.
Self employed getting screwed.
Illegals getting screwed

It's going to sound bad, but even if someone is getting state unemployment + $600, they might still not be able to cover their bills. If you go from 2 people making $100k each to 2 people collecting $50k each on unemployment, that's slashing household income by $100k, and they might already have a large mortgage, credit cards, car payments, tuition, whatever. So $50k/year annualized sounds great to a high school dropout, but in reality, people might still be struggling. Also the amount you collect on unemployment is subject to federal and state tax and you probably need to cover your family's medical insurance as well.

Also you may have a situation where someone is working 2 jobs to make ends meet, they lose 1 job, but keep the other. Their income is drastically reduced, but dont qualify for unemployment.

Someone who gets their salary cut 30-40% doesn't qualify for unemployment.

The list goes on. Everyone doesn't fall into a cookie cutter situation.

Old 05-23-2020, 11:24 PM

1,778 posts, read 833,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
In Texas you receive $1000/week and with CARES ACT, that is $1600/week, you don't have to work if you're getting that much and can even pay for the mortgage easily.

The information was not correct for Texas. Maximum unemployment is 521 per week and with the cares act it is 1121 per week or 4857.00 +/- per month. That is STILL very generous for unemployment. Of course the extra payment ends at the end of July.
It is extremely likely to get extended if the economy is in the gutter. People would riot otherwise. The government knows they need to keep the peasants appeased. It's why they were so quick to pass the stimulus in the first place. We will see an extension in late june plus another stimulus amount, I'm guessing.

Old 05-24-2020, 12:57 AM

16,385 posts, read 10,583,780 times
Assuming you and spouse both lost your $30k+ job, the state will give you atleast $500+ per week depending on the state. The Fed is giving everybody $600 bonus per week. So a couple can rake in $2k+ each week and that's $8k/month with UI. If this does last up to the rest of the year or more the couple is gonna get a combined income of $90K+

$8 x 12 = $96k That beats most couples that are making $30-40k each working as a retail manager, office worker, or factory worker. A lot of people may come out winning staying at home and collecting and not have to go out and shell out money for transportation and lunch money.

Old 05-24-2020, 03:31 AM

80,167 posts, read 78,518,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Assuming you and spouse both lost your $30k+ job, the state will give you atleast $500+ per week depending on the state. The Fed is giving everybody $600 bonus per week. So a couple can rake in $2k+ each week and that's $8k/month with UI. If this does last up to the rest of the year or more the couple is gonna get a combined income of $90K+

$8 x 12 = $96k That beats most couples that are making $30-40k each working as a retail manager, office worker, or factory worker. A lot of people may come out winning staying at home and collecting and not have to go out and shell out money for transportation and lunch money.
it is a crazy deal .... i am waiting to go back to my one day a week of working and i am getting 2x what i earned not working .

i get just above the minimum unemployment in ny which is 192 dollars plus i get the 600 a week .

i only get 400 for the day when i do work , now i get almost 800 and don't work .....

i love it , but they really should have indexed that 600 to earnings .

Old 05-24-2020, 07:15 AM

6,200 posts, read 9,702,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rya96797 View Post
It is extremely likely to get extended if the economy is in the gutter. People would riot otherwise. The government knows they need to keep the peasants appeased. It's why they were so quick to pass the stimulus in the first place. We will see an extension in late june plus another stimulus amount, I'm guessing.
Maybe they'll be smart next time and provide an incentive for returning to work. I say the total amount of unemployment should be somewhat less than you earned by working your last job. If you were washing dishes at some restaurant making 10 dollars an hour where is the incentive to get back to work if unemployment pays you the equivalent of dollars per hour + ?

Old 05-24-2020, 01:56 PM

2,455 posts, read 904,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I keep reading news of food banks having long lines before it opens up and how dire it is for the recent unemployed. But unless you are an illegal you should have gotten the stimulus check along with unemployment benefits including the Federal additional $600/week bonus.

With rent being frozen at many cities and mortgages getting forbearance. This should help people free up $1500-3000+ in monthly living expenses.

CARES ACT Expands unemployment insurance benefits

Unemployment benefits for each person should receive atleast $1000/week+ with the CARES ACT bonus. That equates to around $4000+/month for the unemployed without having to pay rent or their mortgages for the time being. A couple should receive atleast $2000/week if they are both unemployed.

Isn't that too much assistance?
I am not in dire straits, but the Stimulus (And any future ones this year) totally bypass me because I made over $75k in 2018 and 2019, but will qualify in 2021 when I file my 2020 taxes since I will be under $75k for this year. I have suffered business loss on account of Covid, but am making the best of it. PPP is too complicated and I don’t want to mess with it. I do think that the stimulus for ppl and most of all the Corporations is WAY TOO MUCH SPENDING for a Senate and POTUS who are always screaming about high deficits.

Old 05-24-2020, 02:34 PM

8,739 posts, read 4,829,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
The unemployment benefits departments are overwhelmed and many people can’t get through to file. Plus they haven’t changed the system to accept self employed people.
Yup...almost impossible to get aid....in getting aid.

Old 05-24-2020, 02:38 PM

6,383 posts, read 4,326,658 times
It would be a great depression if we weren't doing stimuli. No economy can withstand an instant drop of 30-50% gdp. As has been observed, those in power are deathly afraid of deflation or depression-like conditions ever returning, and will do anything to stop it.

Last edited by redguard57; 05-24-2020 at 02:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or