Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2020, 09:47 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
You are sitting fat and enjoy the vacation with your kids per your posts. Have you ever worked warehouse shifts?
Well she is for the time being, but that can change.

I guess it's my Irish upbringing, be grateful for what you have, don't brag or look down on others. And of course the fear of waiting for the other shoe to drop keeps you in line...LOL.

Here on CD when some of us mentioned how bad unemployment is going to get, you got told you're crazy. This was end of March, well now look where we are. It was only "those servers and retail clerks not me" Well layoff have hit sectors across the board. I know two nurses who have been furloughed, thousands of them have across the country including doctors.

Than the ones on the CA board about real estate, not getting that real estate always lags behind a few months in a bad economy. Bragging on how home prices in Southern CA aren't going to go down, and they won't, you see because we're untouchable here in CA, well well guess what is happening. The housing market here is overinflated anyway, but for some to think this won't impact them

Arrogance combined with ignorance is never good.

Last edited by seain dublin; 05-22-2020 at 09:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2020, 09:56 AM

3,348 posts, read 1,235,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
People who filed via paper way back in March to current haven't even had their returns looked at. The mail is in quarantine due to the virus. The IRS is not opening mail.

A lot of people rely on the libraries for internet access. Libraries have been closed for over two months now.
This is true.
My 88 year old grandfather doesn't trust filing online, online banking etc.
He mailed his return in mid February and has not gotten his refund or stimulus as it is still likely unopened.

Additionally for 2019 I was owed money so I filed early. For 2018 I owed money so I filed April 15th last year.If I had owed money for 2019 and they tell me I can wait until July 15th instead of April 15th to pay them that's exactly what I would have done.

Last edited by djohnslaw; 05-22-2020 at 10:04 AM..

Old 05-22-2020, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i don't know why someone who's employer contributed money on their behalf for years in to the company unemployment account would not take what was actually part of their compensation package ..

whatever .... don't want it don't take it ....

for those who are not aware the employer is contributing in to a company account with unemployment on your behalf putting money in to THEIR unemployment fund should you be entitled to take it back .... the unemployment ( not the 600 ) is paid from the company account ...if the account does not have enough money the state loans the employer money at interest and then raises the rate the employer pays in to the fund to cover it ...

even the 600 is really a rebate of taxes we paid in to the irs . anything that lets me keep more of the money i earned through decades of working , tax paying and employer contributions in to the fund on my behalf is just fine if i am entitled to it . i would never say just keep it . i would sooner take it and do as i please .

employers have contributed in to their unemployment fund on my behalf for 42 years . up until now i never took a penny out .

.. any money i am entitled to , you can be sure i will take .

we donated our stimulus check to st mary's childrens hospital .. my wife does volunteer work there
well done. the hospital will do way more with that 1200 than the government ever could.

Old 05-22-2020, 10:01 AM

Quote:
we donate yearly so it was a good use for the money and we get a tax deduction.

keep in mind too that his decision to leave it for others has no merit ... it is his employers own account paying for it and it never runs dry .. none of this money runs dry .no one gets it at the expense of someone else not getting it . the same is true of the 600 ... no one is not getting it because someone else did .
that is just silly reasoning and makes no sense
exactly. if you really don't need or want it you should still take it and give it to a good charity.

Now if they were handing out free groceries to help struggling people on my block for example, I would never even consider taking them as those are finite and I literally would be taking them away from someone who truly needs them.

I think her husbands heart is in the right place, but he was a little misguided.

Old 05-22-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
i don't know why someone who's employer contributed money on their behalf for years in to the company unemployment account would not take what was actually part of their compensation package ..

whatever .... don't want it don't take it ....

for those who are not aware the employer is contributing in to a company account with unemployment on your behalf putting money in to THEIR unemployment fund should you be entitled to take it back .... the unemployment ( not the 600 ) is paid from the company account ...if the account does not have enough money the state loans the employer money at interest and then raises the rate the employer pays in to the fund to cover it ...

even the 600 is really a rebate of taxes we paid in to the irs . anything that lets me keep more of the money i earned through decades of working , tax paying and employer contributions in to the fund on my behalf is just fine if i am entitled to it . i would never say just keep it . i would sooner take it and do as i please .

employers have contributed in to their unemployment fund on my behalf for 42 years . up until now i never took a penny out .

.. any money i am entitled to , you can be sure i will take .

[b]we donated our stimulus check to st mary's childrens hospital .. my wife does volunteer work there
Sorry about the job loss, but it sounds like from what you posted you were semi-retired.

You and your wife our good people. It's nice to hear that in the age of "all about me".

Old 05-22-2020, 10:14 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Suspension of rent and car payments does mean a delayed cost for people and credit card debt has jumped the last 2 months for avg Americans. But I believe the stimulus will eventually make it into people's wallets and ease some of the debts unless people are spending beyond their means which I believe is the true culprit for many poor folks.

Many people don't even make $1000 a week are gonna get their $500-1000/week from states and on top of that $600/week from the Fed. Why bother working at Amazon Warehouse for $15.75/hr x 40 = $630/week

The only people that don't qualify are illegals. The CARES ART does include provisions for letting those uber and gig workers to apply for benefits.
It just isn't this simple, OP. When aid to self-employed people was announced in my state--a paltry $700, the website crashed within hours. Aid to small business owners/self-employed was gone in two days. Forbearance on mortgage payments doesn't help people, who will be required to pay the full amount owed, once things open up.

Where are they going to get that money?? They'll have it ONLY if they set aside some of this theoretical aid money you envision them receiving with open arms. IOW, the rent/mortage forbearance doesn't "open up" magical extra funds for their other living expenses. They are required to bank some of the aid they get (IF they ever get it), so they can pay all overdue rent/mortgage payments, once they're able to work again. That is a terrifying obligation hanging over their heads, and is an impracticable policy that was poorly thought through. The banks and landlords aren't saying, "you can pay back the accumulated monthly debt over time". They're saying they want the entire accumulated debt paid to them all at once.

And remember; this much-vaunted aid simply has not been available to people in the first place, so there's nothing for them to work with; nothing to strategically save, while scrimping on monthly food expenses, etc.

Old 05-22-2020, 11:49 AM

106,578 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Sorry about the job loss, but it sounds like from what you posted you were semi-retired.

You and your wife our good people. It's nice to hear that in the age of "all about me".
thanks

Old 05-22-2020, 11:50 AM

106,578 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:

i will be going back eventually ... i do motor control and variable frequency drive training for the company so i can't do my thing until everyone is back to work and i can run a class .

Old 05-22-2020, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
THIS! There are scads of self-employed people, ranging from doctors and therapists with their own, independent practice, to artists and artisans, contractors, music instructors, massage therapists, etc. Some families have been getting by for years, with extra income generated by a SAHM running a day-care center in the home. Bye-bye 2nd income! Better hope dad isn't furloughed! And think of all the gig-economy people.
Exactly. OP on another thread seems to think she and her husband are immune to layoffs since they can work from home. As if companies who do layoffs forget about people on their payroll, "out of sight out of mind" doesn't work in this scenario. Layoffs are hitting all sectors the likes of which we have never seen before. Also has a thread saying how the pandemic is a blessing for so many families on the Parental forum.

I remember more than 20 years ago a scenario involving the mother of a special needs child where it was suspected that abuse was going on at home. I will never forget this, a special education teacher(an educated person) said when it was being discussed "oh, I don't think so, she always dresses so nice" So only lower income people who don't wear high end outfits are capable of smacking their kids around? Well it turned out to be the case. But at least that was back in the days before the Internet and now social media took off, so as ridiculous as a statement it was to make, at least it wasn't done online.

Seems to be getting worse these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It just isn't this simple, OP.
When aid to self-employed people was announced in my state--a paltry $700, the website crashed within hours. Aid to small business owners/self-employed was gone in two days. Forbearance on mortgage payments doesn't help people, who will be required to pay the full amount owed, once things open up.

Where are they going to get that money?? They'll have it ONLY if they set aside some of this theoretical aid money you envision them receiving with open arms. IOW, the rent/mortage forbearance doesn't "open up" magical extra funds for their other living expenses. They are required to bank some of the aid they get (IF they ever get it), so they can pay all overdue rent/mortgage payments, once they're able to work again. That is a terrifying obligation hanging over their heads, and is an impracticable policy that was poorly thought through. The banks and landlords aren't saying, "you can pay back the accumulated monthly debt over time". They're saying they want the entire accumulated debt paid to them all at once.

And remember; this much-vaunted aid simply has not been available to people in the first place, so there's nothing for them to work with; nothing to strategically save, while scrimping on monthly food expenses, etc.
Now Ruth why are you bringing up facts, logic, along with common sense?

It's simply no longer fashionable in America to do any critical thinking or much thinking at all.

Quote:
thanks
You're very welcome and again that was a lovely gesture for you and your wife to do. Glad to see things are working out for you.

Old 05-22-2020, 10:21 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Quote:
Exactly. OP on another thread seems to think she and her husband are immune to layoffs since they can work from home. As if companies who do layoffs forget about people on their payroll, "out of sight out of mind" doesn't work in this scenario. Layoffs are hitting all sectors the likes of which we have never seen before. Also has a thread saying how the pandemic is a blessing for so many families on the Parental forum.
There should be an aftershock later in July-Aug when business flesh out whether WFH is productive or profitable for many retailers and B2B companies. We just finished closing out the 1st quarter where many companies still had a profitable or broke even quarter. The economic damage has not been tallied yet and layoffs will come by September. Many of the tech unicorns will probably take heavy losses if they are not immune. I see a lot of online ads as some companies appear to be desperate for sales.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics