U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2020, 10:33 AM

6,183 posts, read 1,617,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
People of means need to step up and support the food banks.
They were. Did you see the makes/models of some of those vehicles on line to get free food ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2020, 10:44 AM

1,956 posts, read 1,067,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
The stock market isn't really indicative of how main street and the average person is doing. This is the whole problem with the American conservative economic view, they don't understand that many people live paycheck to paycheck and can't really put money aside for savings. They sure as heck don't have money invested in the stock market either.

The majority of recent layoffs were of people making less than $40,000/year .... and many of those jobs might not come back. A payroll tax cut or a capital gains tax cut isn't going to do squat to help these people.

If I was Mitch McConnell I would throw Dems a curveball and introduce a temporary UBI until unemployment returns to normal levels (ie <5%). The usual GOP solutions of tax cuts aren't going to solve the problems we're facing today. If McConnell thinks he can sit back and end the Federal unemployment assistance and block further stimulus checks he is delusional. The Republicans are going to be wiped out in November if he keeps on this path.
I know the market is not indicative of how the average worker is doing, especially lower income workers who are the ones most impacted by stay-at-home implementation . My point is, GOP doesn't care - they only care how the market is doing. They are not stupid - they know how many people are living paycheck to paycheck. My point is, they don't care. As long as the market is up, federal UE will not be extended.

Although states may still extend their UE.

Old 05-27-2020, 11:19 AM

5,226 posts, read 2,905,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I don't see Sen. McConnell pushing a second stimulus. I heard he wants a stimulus bonus for when you return to work. The problem being is that not everyone is being told to return to work or are able to return to work due to the lack of considerations to make workplaces safer. Let's remember warehouses, food plants and car factories have seen a rather high amount of Covid-19 spread no matter where you are because of close quarters. The Republican response is keep people working and get them back to work.

Yep, just like 2008/9 when people were out of work and couldn't find work due to the credit crunch. Economic slumps is apolitical and so is this virus. These two things don't care where you lean, they are equal opportunity offenders. The Republicans in Washington and a number of states continue to put their heads in the sand and it is just going to make things worse.
Mitch McConnell is a buffoon. Without a 2nd stimulus for at least the unemployed, Main Street will tank. The unemployed need 99 weeks of standard unemployment protection and the $600/week supplemental unemployment payments need to continue until at least the end of 2020, if not the end of Q1 2021.

The white collar people who've gotten laid off need it as a life line, and these are sometimes ideological conservatives. There are many white collar, conservatives earning like $50,000-$110,000 a year who have been laid off. Up until about $75,000/annual income, that's full income replacement. Even from $75,000-$110,000, that's a good portion of income replacement. The hardly, rich white collar layoffs who used to make $50-$110k a year will have to drink Natty Ice beer and eat Spam without their $600 a week. These middle income workers won't like this and they'll abstain from voting or possibly vote Dem. People vote with their wallets, and the Republicans are not helping people's wallets.

Laid off conservatives will remember that Mitch McConnell abandoned them and wished for them to perish. They'll remember this for multiple election cycles, up to 10 years.

Coronavirus is making a good case for Keynesian economics.

Old 05-27-2020, 11:29 AM

12,229 posts, read 11,139,451 times
The feds can't be propping up the unemployed forever. Sooner or later, they'll have to go back to work. A large number of them are very happy to stay home now. They're earning more money sitting on their keester than working. But .... the lollipop will soon be gone and they'll have to return to work. Sorry, but if they're financially damaged because they delayed returning to work and they lose out, it's on them.

Odd how, once upon a time, a person got some satisfaction and self-worth by earning their own money. I hope mankind doesn't go down the rabbit hole altogether, thinking that sucking on the government's teat is going to bring them prosperity.

Sorry, not sorry. It ticks me off when I hear someone saying they don't want to go back to work because they make more staying home.

Old 05-27-2020, 11:33 AM

1,956 posts, read 1,067,938 times
There will be another stimulus, but it won't be in the form of federal unemployment. I think we will see another check because this crumb will be a LOT cheaper than the $ 600/wk payout. On the other hand, the benefits we see to corporations will be huge (liability reform, tax cuts, etc.). Sadly, this won't help the millions of Americans living paycheck to paycheck.

The federal unemployment only amounted to $15.00/hour. The way the left is hemming and hawing, you would think workers won lotto.

But in the words of Lyndsey Graham, "over our dead bodies will federal unemployment be extended." I think that sums up the GOP view of struggling workers.

Old 05-27-2020, 11:36 AM

31,254 posts, read 17,641,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
There will be another stimulus, but it won't be in the form of federal unemployment. I think we will see another check because this crumb will be a LOT cheaper than the $ 600/wk payout. On the other hand, the benefits we see to corporations will be huge (liability reform, tax cuts, etc.). Sadly, this won't help the millions of Americans living paycheck to paycheck.

The federal unemployment only amounted to $15.00/hour. The way the left is hemming and hawing, you would think workers won lotto.

But in the words of Lyndsey Graham, "over our dead bodies will federal unemployment be extended." I think that sums up the GOP view of struggling workers.
Here is the problem that one time check once it's spent on rent or utilities is gone, it's gone. The $600 is more likely to be reinvested into the economy in a meaningful way.

Old 05-27-2020, 11:53 AM

5,226 posts, read 2,905,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Sorry, but if they're financially damaged because they delayed returning to work and they lose out, it's on them.
Once again, ignorance. People who want to return to work can't because there are no jobs when there is 20% unemployment. It's also unreasonable to expect a laid off white collar worker to deliver packages for Amazon or be a supermarket cashier.

Extended unemployment is a lifeline for the middle income white collar worker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
Mitch McConnell and Lindsey Graham want to see the unemployed die in the streets, like what happens in third world countries. Voters will remember this.

Old 05-27-2020, 01:39 PM

12,229 posts, read 11,139,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Once again, ignorance. People who want to return to work can't because there are no jobs when there is 20% unemployment. It's also unreasonable to expect a laid off white collar worker to deliver packages for Amazon or be a supermarket cashier.
I should have clarified. Recent openings in our state have resulted in employees having the opportunity to return to work. I realize there are so many still out of work. I was referring to open positions. Sorry, my bad.

Old 05-27-2020, 09:17 PM

7,876 posts, read 3,822,192 times
Thankful that my tax dollars that I paid into for 40 years is being relinquished to aide others and myself.
My area has re opened. Not safely though. So any funds that I received will be used down the road to survive. Our company already has made it clear that no one other the management (salary) will get full time hours. My hours are budgeted at 30 hrs a week. I assure you it will not sustain my being . My low pay to begin with left me with barely 40$ to even save. Now I will either have to give up electricity or food. Gee that's an incentive to go back to work and hope the industry I work in will pull out of this okay.
Our business Dynamics are all over the place. Some just opening with no safety in place. Just grab the money. Others are hiring to ensure better care to the patrons.
I will stand with bells on when one of our local business owner is seen by our magistrate to pay the 10k a day fine for operating without a license. If he thinks his 'non essentiail' business saved our economy. He is in for a Folgers wakeup and smell the coffee moment .
My state has already approved an additional 13 weeks for unemployment. But as par the course, us who go back will get just enough hours to knock us out of unemployment but NOT enough hours to sustain.

Old 05-27-2020, 09:59 PM

6,631 posts, read 6,725,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Yes especially when stocks cost a lot. Apple stock is currently $314.34, Disney stock is $120.19, Facebook is $221.98, Google is $1,400.65, Microsoft stock is $176.92, Target stock is $114.43, Tesla is $790.77, Toyota is $125.11, and Walmart stock is $ 121.91. These are roughly 8AM PDT so they will likely change. And often times you need multiples of any stock to actually get your money's worth. Unless you are a mark for a company, I doubt you'd typically buy say Ford, GM, Honda or WWE stock.

I don't see Sen. McConnell pushing a second stimulus. I heard he wants a stimulus bonus for when you return to work. The problem being is that not everyone is being told to return to work or are able to return to work due to the lack of considerations to make workplaces safer. Let's remember warehouses, food plants and car factories have seen a rather high amount of Covid-19 spread no matter where you are because of close quarters. The Republican response is keep people working and get them back to work.

Trump bungled a lot of the virus. That is why we are at 100k deaths. I'm not saying Trump is a murderer persay, but he is guilty of being too late and not taking it seriously. Lots of the cases we ended up with came from European spread, not Asian spread. Instead Trump blames just China even though he had his China ban...

Arizonans see right through that. Sen. McSally actually lost ground in polls after her blame China ad dropped. Trump nationally has slipped in polling and favorability with the blame China ads.

Yep, just like 2008/9 when people were out of work and couldn't find work due to the credit crunch. Economic slumps is apolitical and so is this virus. These two things don't care where you lean, they are equal opportunity offenders. The Republicans in Washington and a number of states continue to put their heads in the sand and it is just going to make things worse.
Not taking it seriously?! Taking what seriously??? The only thing to be taken seriously is the economic damage caused, the virus itself proved to be an absolute joke. A 0.1% mortality rate - if even that - confirmed by many studies and beyond that, turns out you don’t even need a study, it’s right there and obvious - Singapore 33,000 cases, 23 deaths. That’s not even 1 in 1,000. The use of the term “deadly virus” makes me chuckle, I guess we should call aging a deadly disease because it kills everyone. The virus gave a nudge to people already on the edge and pushed them over faster, it didn’t come through and kill a bunch of healthy people. In fact in NYC the death rate for those 18-45 was just 0.01%. So what do you mean he didn’t take it seriously?! He took it TOO seriously! I think more people will end up dying and having their lives ruined because of the idiocy of responding to the virus at all. The best response was Sweden, and the absolute best response would have been to pretend it doesn’t even exist and just go on with our lives. The number of people not getting critical medical care because of these stupid lockdowns is way more concerning than some old and weak people dying of a strong flu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or