U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2020, 02:44 PM

585 posts, read 198,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
One, First Amendment. I LONG asked why we didn't do it with the terrorists... I mean protesters that entered the Michigan state house. We didn't do that for any of the Operation Gridlock even if they blocked ambulances from the hospitals. Two, do we have enough police to do that for all protestors, especially just peaceful protesters? I have no problem jailing the looters, but a good chunk of protesters are non-violent. Yet that don't stop the President having Barr use the DCPD as his goon squad.
i'm not against free speech. i'm fine with peaceful protesters whether i agree with them on not on any topic.
but allowing people to gather in large numbers, in some cases thousands right on top of each other, in nyc of all places during a pandemic is insane. they're pretending covic magically avoids protests. they force businesses to remain closed and those that can open have to make massive adjustments.
sports leagues are still closed and will not be allowing fans. but somehow covid won't harm protesters screaming. the complete inconsistency is mind boggling. the same mayor who says the police will pull you out of the water at the beach for swimming is fine with protestors on top of each other not remotely social distanced.

so either covid is totally behind us and open everything up with no restrictions (which i think is stupid) or don't let large groups of people gather together regardless of the reason.

Free speech is fine. People can say anything they want. That's not in dispute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2020, 02:51 PM

80,166 posts, read 78,518,791 times
They came down hard on the orthodox for having a funeral in Williamsburg ...but thousands of protesters is just fine ......love how things get decided on

Old 06-04-2020, 04:23 PM

348 posts, read 138,898 times
I am worried about the future too. The civil unrest has thrown another monkey wrench into an already troubled world. (Apparently, the civil unrest is happening all over the world too!)

My goal is to move to a rural place. I don't want to live near a big city anymore.

Old 06-04-2020, 05:28 PM

2,831 posts, read 799,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLessTraveled2015 View Post

My goal is to move to a rural place. I don't want to live near a big city anymore.

I think a lot of people are going to be with you on that one!

Old 06-04-2020, 08:23 PM

31,254 posts, read 17,641,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
i'm not against free speech. i'm fine with peaceful protesters whether i agree with them on not on any topic.
but allowing people to gather in large numbers, in some cases thousands right on top of each other, in nyc of all places during a pandemic is insane. they're pretending covic magically avoids protests. they force businesses to remain closed and those that can open have to make massive adjustments.
sports leagues are still closed and will not be allowing fans. but somehow covid won't harm protesters screaming. the complete inconsistency is mind boggling. the same mayor who says the police will pull you out of the water at the beach for swimming is fine with protestors on top of each other not remotely social distanced.

so either covid is totally behind us and open everything up with no restrictions (which i think is stupid) or don't let large groups of people gather together regardless of the reason.

Free speech is fine. People can say anything they want. That's not in dispute.
I think it is stupid but a lot of keyboard warriors on here using Covid as an excuse didn't for Operation Gridlock protests. Why, because they agreed with the protests and disagree with these protests.

Old 06-05-2020, 08:45 AM

8,018 posts, read 3,225,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I have extended my prediction of DJIA 30k by this Friday with a slight adjustment of somewhere between this Friday and October 2024.
DJIA 50,000 by the end of the year.
US Unemployment: 50%
US COVID-19 Deaths: 500,000

Because Americans just love to buy stocks when they hear bad news. OMG, that is terrible news. I think I'll buy some stocks, so I feel better.

Old 06-06-2020, 11:10 AM

2,731 posts, read 1,178,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumpslapdog View Post
That’s not screening. You can take 15 minutes and apply too. Applying for SNAP benefits is a joke to the food bank. SNAP often refers people to food banks when their benefits are exhausted. Don’t be foolish, that’s as superficial as it gets.
Eligibility means everything.
If you are found ineligible for food stamps the food bank here often won't help you.

It takes a lot longer than 15 minutes to apply for food stamps. Years ago I was cut off because the worker forgot to process my re-certification and I had to wait over five hours to been seen just to talk to someone about it. I was very angry. I actually did my jobs, when I'd have them, to the best of my ability and would get fired anyway because of my health problems. The worker was healthy and could just "forget" to do her work and keep her job anyway. I never forgot to do my job whenever I briefly had one.

You have to show proof of residency, proof of ID, proof of income, and proof of food stamp eligibility to receive help from the food banks around here usually. If you were cut off because your three months of eligibility was up then the food bank may not help you. Sometimes, they're nice and let you have one more month of food bank help. That's it.

Fortunately, with all that's going on with the shutdowns, a lot of that screening is waived for now. There are people getting help from the food bank that had been doing quite well before the shutdown.

Old 06-06-2020, 01:07 PM

80,166 posts, read 78,518,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
DJIA 50,000 by the end of the year.
US Unemployment: 50%
US COVID-19 Deaths: 500,000

Because Americans just love to buy stocks when they hear bad news. OMG, that is terrible news. I think I'll buy some stocks, so I feel better.
Actually. No , most small investors get emotional and panic over their investments in bad times and exhibit poor investor behavior ...smart money knows nothing last forever , and that money is glad to take the small investors equities off their hands at depressed prices

Old 06-06-2020, 07:04 PM

2,731 posts, read 1,178,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumpslapdog View Post
I worked for the SNAP program for over 11 years. It takes 10 minutes to think about your answers and 5 minutes to pre screen yourself on the web. Sure if you want to know exactly what you qualify for then you will need to spend a boy 30 minutes completing the on line application. You can even use your phone.
Currently food banks are not screening, they don’t have the capacity for that currently.
I have never applied on the internet. I wouldn't even know how. I always applied in person at the office. I did attempt to re-certify on the phone as a letter told me to do back in 2013. I was on hold for over three hours, and ever so many minutes it asked if I just wanted to leave a call back number or something and that they'd call me back when it was my turn in the queue. After all that time I finally did that and all these years later they never did call me back. Therefore, they lied. I never even bother trying to call now. Back then I had to track down the food stamp office location in that town so that I could go in since my time was nearly up to re-certify. I found the place and went in. Had to wait from that morning when I got there until nearly 3pm until someone finally got to me. The restroom was nasty with feces smeared all over the place. The smell from the restroom made the wait area smell bad. Then I had to bring back the documents and turn them in later on another day.

I don't know how you could possibly turn in documents on the internet anyway. Unless the applicant has a scanner? Can't afford such things. And the applicant would need a printer to print off forms to have landlord and other people fill out to verify info. The libraries are shut down because of the virus.

Old 06-07-2020, 01:32 AM

4,587 posts, read 1,944,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Many people love four letter words that start with F ... FREE AND FOOD .

you likely have many getting food simply because it’s free whether they really need it or not ....

I know quite a flew people that will have jobs waiting once the 600 runs out ...employer s are not expecting business to boom day one and so many welcome the chance to bring back staff slowly after they open
in our area schools still give our breakfast and lunch for economically disdavnatged at some schools. and people who can afford it also get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or