Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2020, 11:48 AM

208 posts, read 81,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
dont forget the great depression somewhere in between
No one can time the markets. No investor ever has in the history of the world. A broken clock is right twice a day. It is best to have an infinity all weather portfolio that is always up regardless of market conditions. If the market is way up it is up even more. If the market is way down it is up even more. Make sure to also trade TLT and GLD on the sides daily as well. Stocks too. Timing is critical on those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2020, 11:55 AM

106,658 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenInNY View Post
No one can time the markets. No investor ever has in the history of the world. A broken clock is right twice a day. It is best to have an infinity all weather portfolio that is always up regardless of market conditions. If the market is way up it is up even more. If the market is way down it is up even more. Make sure to also trade TLT and GLD on the sides daily as well. Stocks too. Timing is critical on those.
stop with your nonsense already on my posts ... i wont respond to them anyway..you stalking my posts to throw on your ridiculous comments is a waste of time

Old 06-03-2020, 12:20 PM

2,478 posts, read 1,550,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
100,000 deaths from covid

66% of those deaths occurred in long term care facilities

80% of these deaths were people over 65.

another media created crisis to destroy the country. Eventually something will have to be done about the media. Many are becoming domestic terrorists.
I wonder what those numbers would be if we didn’t take the precautions?

Old 06-03-2020, 01:34 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,106,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
That is correct. I think we will see a lot of struggling people come the end of July, and another rash of unemployment come October once the PP loan requirement of not laying off employees until October expires. Many businesses are waiting until October (if they took the loan) because they can't have it forgiven if they lay off employees before October.
Republicans seem deadset against any additional stimulus checks other than perhaps for Social Security recipients. I think it's very shortsighted on their part, I realize that the American conservative orthodoxy is rooted in the "pick yourself up by the bootstraps" mentality but the reality is that this crisis isn't over. Some economists predict that up to 40% of people that got laid off don't have a job to go back to even if we reopened every single state 100% right now with no restrictions.

The Republicans still have this fantasy that everything will magically return to normal the instant we reopen and that just isn't happening. Unemployment claims are still being filed in significant numbers in all those states that have largely reopened. What now? We can't continue to stick our heads in the sand and pretend the crisis is over just because bad numbers are inconvenient to Trump's re-election plans.

Old 06-03-2020, 01:36 PM

20,102 posts, read 9,015,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
For the record it's not 100,000. It's now 108,000 and going up about 1,000 a day, with no end in sight. But hey, most of them are over 65 and in long term care facilities, so LET EM DIE. Human lives are expendable if it helps the stock market go up.
I'm 67, stay in your basement, beg for government scraps.

Old 06-03-2020, 01:49 PM

20,102 posts, read 9,015,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
I wonder what those numbers would be if we didn’t take the precautions?
not sure. New York accounts for almost a third of the deaths and that can be directly attributed to Cuomo's decision to force elderly people who tested positive into nursing home death traps.

Old 06-03-2020, 02:17 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,765,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Republicans seem deadset against any additional stimulus checks other than perhaps for Social Security recipients. I think it's very shortsighted on their part, I realize that the American conservative orthodoxy is rooted in the "pick yourself up by the bootstraps" mentality but the reality is that this crisis isn't over. Some economists predict that up to 40% of people that got laid off don't have a job to go back to even if we reopened every single state 100% right now with no restrictions.

The Republicans still have this fantasy that everything will magically return to normal the instant we reopen and that just isn't happening. Unemployment claims are still being filed in significant numbers in all those states that have largely reopened. What now? We can't continue to stick our heads in the sand and pretend the crisis is over just because bad numbers are inconvenient to Trump's re-election plans.
I couldn't agree more. Many Republicans think the UE numbers are high simply because many lower wage workers don't want to return to work due to the fact that their UE is more than their pay. But the jobs just aren't there. Many businesses have closed down, and the ones that have not are not going to be in a hurry to hire at their former staff capacity when they are getting by on half that (or less). Oh, and of course, fewer people are traveling, eating out, etc. - basically, not spending as much money.

Old 06-03-2020, 02:56 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,106,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
I couldn't agree more. Many Republicans think the UE numbers are high simply because many lower wage workers don't want to return to work due to the fact that their UE is more than their pay. But the jobs just aren't there. Many businesses have closed down, and the ones that have not are not going to be in a hurry to hire at their former staff capacity when they are getting by on half that (or less). Oh, and of course, fewer people are traveling, eating out, etc. - basically, not spending as much money.
Yep

I was just reading an article about Republican opposition to additional stimulus checks and renewing the PPP and they quoted several Republican senators as outright calling laid off workers lazy and entitled. When Sen. Kenendy of Louisiana was asked if he supported another stimulus check he responded "Well people in hell want ice water too". Talk about callous

Old 06-03-2020, 02:59 PM

4,828 posts, read 4,283,808 times
When discussing unemployment, it's been mostly in the restaurant and hospitality industries. The bank I work for has seen a significant increase in EIDL funds being deposited into checking accounts. So the two industries that have been hit the hardest will not rehire a good portion of staff, while they continue to survive the ongoing pandemic with PPP and EIDL funds. That's going to be the sad reality for many individuals trying to reenter the workforce.

I don't blame any small business going after EIDL funds, since the rates are insanely competitive and their local financial institution wouldn't fund them for the same $ amount anyways (already too leveraged). The terms are very favorable for the borrower. I've seen a few customers be approved for 3.75% interest and 30 year amortizations. If you paid off a loan that originally had a 15 or 20 year amortization, you can drag that amortization back out and save a small fortune. You can weather a pretty good storm with your savings from refinancing through EIDL funds.

If you get an EIDL below $25k, you don't even have to provide collateral. Also, if you don't have enough collateral to comply with SBA guidelines, they will not decline your loan for lack of collateral (they'll take what they can as collateral).

Old 06-03-2020, 04:35 PM

3,349 posts, read 1,237,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
not sure. New York accounts for almost a third of the deaths and that can be directly attributed to Cuomo's decision to force elderly people who tested positive into nursing home death traps.
Nursing home death traps are a small part of it

The bigger issue is that it's the most densely populated city in the country, has the most international flights arriving than anywhere else and it shut down too late.

If it shut down earlier we would have saved more lives and done less economic damage

And now somehow protesters and looters are allowed in mass gatherings but small businesses still can't open.Apparently covid doesn't impact protesters only every other large group of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics