U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2020, 02:53 PM

1,963 posts, read 503,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Agreed. Most of the engineers I know in Silicon Valley started in India. They’re incredibly sharp.
There's a certain selectivity that helps. You're unlikely to ever meet an indifferent, 9-5 one because they still live in Mumbai.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2020, 02:59 PM

8,082 posts, read 7,505,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
There's a certain selectivity that helps. You're unlikely to ever meet an indifferent, 9-5 one because they still live in Mumbai.
No doubt. There are over a billion people in that country. The ones who come here are in the top 1%.

Old 05-29-2020, 03:14 PM

15,596 posts, read 18,823,808 times
You can still buy audio equipment that is made in The US... IF you are willing to pay the price.
If you're not willing or able to pay for the superb-quality audio equipment made by McIntosh Laboratories of Binghamton, NY, then you probably have no alternative to buying imported equipment of lesser quality.

https://americanmadeaudio.com/product/mcintosh/

Old 05-29-2020, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
YIf you're not willing or able to pay for the superb-quality audio equipment made by McIntosh Laboratories of Binghamton, NY, then you probably have no alternative to buying imported equipment of lesser quality.
This would be the same crowd that thought $5k for an iPhone was acceptable and then would fill years of magazines about it on excruciating pixel-by-decibel-by-flop comparos.

Old 05-29-2020, 04:27 PM

9,610 posts, read 10,231,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
You can still buy audio equipment that is made in The US... IF you are willing to pay the price.
If you're not willing or able to pay for the superb-quality audio equipment made by McIntosh Laboratories of Binghamton, NY, then you probably have no alternative to buying imported equipment of lesser quality.

https://americanmadeaudio.com/product/mcintosh/
I'm an audio nut. FWIIW a good deal of the best audio gear is made in the first world - Chiefly The US McIntosh as you noted, Cary, Pass, Audio Research, Red Wine Audio and many more. The UK Naim, Linn, Spendor, Chord, Bowers and Wilkins etc. Germany, Japan and several others countries are well represented as well.

And for the record one may use their computer or phone/iPad (computer is better) as a music hub and output to USB DAC (digital to analog converter) into earbuds or headphones and achieve fantastic SQ without breaking the bank and all from US makers.

Grace, Audioquest, Schiit (that's a real company) and several other marks make realistically priced DACs in The US. Grado out of Brooklyn sells fantastic headphones.

Old 05-29-2020, 05:13 PM

710 posts, read 241,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TestEngr View Post
Motorola was in the communications and phone business, a highly competitive field, from 1928 to roughly 2012, but the cost cutting they saw everyone doing tempted them into essentially death. So they knew, in a competitive environment 1928 till they outsourced, exactly what to do and how to do it. Only when, and exactly when, they decided they had to enter the "cutting to win" strategy did Motorola fail.

Apple is currently in a place where they can move forward to something better as a company, they can probably buy half of Motorolas phone plants in the USA for pennies. If they want they can win for the next 50 years, but they must move forward. I saw the space ship HQ like everyone else, not sure what that buys me. We will have to see, always hopeful on Apple, but also have to see too.
I still have a basic Moto built by Lenovo. Most likely due to bad management too. Read somewhere that Nokia hired an ex-Microsoft guy that ran it to the ground.

Old 05-29-2020, 07:24 PM

4,516 posts, read 3,907,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Agreed. Most of the engineers I know in Silicon Valley started in India. They’re incredibly sharp.
I believe this is part of the answer. If we aren't growing good engineers from scratch here, import them. Let them come here on H1B or similar, and make it so worth their while to stay that they'll never want to return home except on holiday.

As a technology worker, I'm definitely challenged by the thousands of H1B visa holders coming in, who are great programmers (I'm not familiar with the hardware people, assume they're good as well). India seems to have a long tradition of mathematics and their top people are just outstanding.

But I don't regard it as a threat. More of them here means our ecosystem grows, there are more domestic companies taking advantage of the talent, more wealth for everyone.

Plus, I like them; the Asian folks I've worked with have almost all been very good people, gentle, humorous, family oriented, wanted to buy a nice house in the suburb and raise 2-3 kids. This is the kind of immigrants we need.

They tend to like it here because the U.S., like China and India, is geographically huge. But, unlike Asia, we're very sparsely populated by comparison. Even our big cities are more spread out except for NYC, and NYC today is maybe half or a third the size of Shanghai or Mumbai.

Anyway, smart immigrants. That's going to help push us toward more domestic manufacturing.

Old 05-29-2020, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Anyway, smart immigrants. That's going to help push us toward more domestic manufacturing.
Well... I'm all for continuing immigration and all it brings to revitalizing the US every generation or so.

But I'm not sure how all these brilliant engineers are going to "push us [back] to domestic manufacturing" unless they're automation experts.

There is simply no future in which the US has any significant numbers of factory workers. No one is going to make anything with perpetually costly human labor (shift after shift of it) when any new factory, product or industry more complicated than a broom will be automated from day one.

Old 05-29-2020, 08:45 PM

1,565 posts, read 825,405 times
Blisterpeanuts, from the threads entitled “Import Certificates” and “Transferable Import Certificates”:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supposn View Post
Import Certificates:
I'm among the proponents of the improved trade policy described within Wikipedia's “Import Certificates” article. The unilateral proposal would significantly reduce, (if not entirely eliminate) USA's annual trade deficits of goods and would be of net benefit to our economy.
Annual trade deficits indicate our nation has purchased more products than we have produced. Trade deficits are particularly detrimental to their nation's numbers of jobs and amounts of payrolls.
All of the proposal's direct net costs are passed on to USA purchasers of imported goods and any such costs due to markets' behaviors serve as price subsidies for USA's exported goods.
The policy is not a net source of government tax revenue, and other than determining the values of cargo passing through USA's borders, the policy grants no policy discretion to the federal government. Valuation is determined as within the USA expressed in U.S. Dollars.
Refer to: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Import_certificates
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supposn View Post
Transferable Import Certificates:
I’m a proponent of a trade policy based upon transferable Import Certificates, (ICs). (Refer to Wikipedia’s ”Import Certificates” article; refer to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Import_certificates ...This thread is for proponents of free trade willing to argue their case against IC policy. ...

Old 05-29-2020, 09:22 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
25,210 posts, read 43,000,650 times
Also a barrier to USA competitiveness is:
Costs of carrying inventory of completed goods and materials. Land / buildings / insurance / taxes / Labor / Benefits / business loan interest ... are all high in USA, and the taxation of businesses in USA is no longer business 'friendly' as in incentising the business to grow. USA taxation methods discourage business in USA, especially Manf, or capital intensive industries.

:"service jobs' are not too valuable as a 'domestic value added product', and not nearly as high pay as the factory labor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics