Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2020, 09:27 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times

Advertisements

Two big factors are now holding back the economy. Dem states that want to keep the lockdown going to hurt Trump and lockdown of major sports, college and pro. Once those allow things go back to normal, things will quickly return to "normal". Yes there are a lot of people who are still afraid, but again, once the logjam breaks, the fraidycats will be a minor issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2020, 10:08 AM

10,065 posts, read 7,239,454 times
It will never be like 2019 again. Lots of businesses will never come back. Many surviving companies are figuring out how they can do more with less or more with almost no workers. A lot of them will never hire back labor forces the size they had in 2019.

My employer has laid off 18% and instituted a hiring freeze that may last 2-3 years. Those of us remaining are being told to pick up the slack and be happy we still have jobs. With work-from-home there is no separation from work anymore. We are simultaneously never at work but always working. Some weeks I have been 14-17 hours a day on the computer.

There will be a jobless recovery in which the markets go higher and higher for fewer and fewer beneficiaries. Eventually the Millennials and Gen Z will take power, elect a Bernie Sanders type, and the markets will crash like we've never seen them crash before.

Old 06-07-2020, 10:55 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
I agree. It's hard to buy into the "stay home until we get a vaccine" when thousands of maskless rioters and looters are standing shoulder to shoulder and governors look the other way.
That’s mantra is gone. The governors did nothing.

Old 06-07-2020, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Two big factors are now holding back the economy. Dem states that want to keep the lockdown going to hurt Trump and lockdown of major sports, college and pro. Once those allow things go back to normal, things will quickly return to "normal". Yes there are a lot of people who are still afraid, but again, once the logjam breaks, the fraidycats will be a minor issue.
I’m travelling again soon, within driving distance to us, I’ve just booked the hotel last night.

Old 06-07-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
It will never be like 2019 again. Lots of businesses will never come back. Many surviving companies are figuring out how they can do more with less or more with almost no workers. A lot of them will never hire back labor forces the size they had in 2019.

My employer has laid off 18% and instituted a hiring freeze that may last 2-3 years. Those of us remaining are being told to pick up the slack and be happy we still have jobs. With work-from-home there is no separation from work anymore. We are simultaneously never at work but always working. Some weeks I have been 14-17 hours a day on the computer.

There will be a jobless recovery in which the markets go higher and higher for fewer and fewer beneficiaries. Eventually the Millennials and Gen Z will take power, elect a Bernie Sanders type, and the markets will crash like we've never seen them crash before.
I disagree with you, my daughter is a small business owner, she has not fired anybody, business is picking up for her. Nobody in my immediate families were laid off, even though their companies have been laying off people.

Old 06-07-2020, 12:32 PM

106,670 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Right now for us ,economically nothing has changed either ..of course we lost family and friends to this and we miss the kids and grandkids , but financially us and all family members are unchanged

Old 06-07-2020, 02:09 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,284,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
That has to be one of the dumbest things I've heard yet. What evidence do you have that "dem states" are prolonging lockdown for political reasons? Local communities are in tatters. EVERYONE wants things to go back to normal. Everyone. I don't care what your political affiliation is.

Old 06-07-2020, 02:13 PM

13,072 posts, read 7,508,849 times
OP
uh, Like, never

Old 06-07-2020, 03:31 PM

6,824 posts, read 10,520,613 times
I think there could be some effects that are long lasting or permanent, but that in a lot of big ways things will seem to operating fairly normally sometime in 2021, but we'll see.

Old 06-07-2020, 03:52 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times
I have a doctor in my family that has told me we need a vaccine before this virus will go away. Might be two years for a vaccine. I hope they find one soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics