U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2020, 08:13 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
25,210 posts, read 43,000,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD59 View Post
I have a doctor in my family that has told me we need a vaccine before this virus will go away. Might be two years for a vaccine. I hope they find one soon.
Very, very unlikely to find a vaccine, less likely to be distributed and used WW.

Treatment has improved as we learn how unique this covid is.

Likely a 'game-changer!', but we will adapt.
USA = 27% of world cases, 112k dead in 14 weeks (58k dead in 14 yr Vietnam war)

Taiwan = 7 covid deaths. They were in the frontlines of infection. No economic shutdown.

USA had lots of pre-warning. We are very smart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2020, 09:43 PM

9,610 posts, read 10,231,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Very, very unlikely to find a vaccine, less likely to be distributed and used WW.

Taiwan = 7 covid deaths. They were in the frontlines of infection. No economic shutdown.

Taiwan does not have a constitution.

Old 06-07-2020, 11:11 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
25,210 posts, read 43,000,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Taiwan does not have a constitution.
And their public rebelled where their government was bent on relaxing social distancing.

I.e. a responsible population just may be more effective than an irresponsible and uneducated political leadership. (Government). (Just maybe ... 7 divided by 112,000)

Could it be possible the USA political span of control has outlived it's usefulness?
Worse is what we (USA) has created by our inattentiveness. Vast gap for our enemies and our inept political leaders to fill. (While to back to watching sitcoms.)

The 'World' is not quite as ill informed as the USA electorate is.

We(USA) are paying dearly for our passivity.

Old 06-08-2020, 12:49 AM

6,383 posts, read 4,326,658 times
Quote:

Some of that is because the strain directly from China is not as bad as the strain that came from China through Italy. It explains why our west coast has had fewer deaths than the east coast.

Old 06-08-2020, 01:42 AM

2,396 posts, read 3,268,288 times
I run a small charter boat on the east coast. I am getting multiple calls and bookings on most days. Even with losing April and most of May, I am close to where I was at this time last year with trips run and ahead of last year on bookings for the next several weeks. And last year was very good.
People seem to be ready to return to a normal life after these last few month's.

Old 06-08-2020, 05:08 AM

9,927 posts, read 8,599,837 times
No evidence of Blue state lockdowns? NYC did start opening till today. Ca still has severe restrictions in places like LA.

Old 06-08-2020, 07:44 AM

6,383 posts, read 4,326,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
I run a small charter boat on the east coast. I am getting multiple calls and bookings on most days. Even with losing April and most of May, I am close to where I was at this time last year with trips run and ahead of last year on bookings for the next several weeks. And last year was very good.
People seem to be ready to return to a normal life after these last few month's.
The kinds of people who lost their jobs were never the kinds of people that chartered boats.

Old 06-08-2020, 07:58 AM

80,169 posts, read 78,518,791 times
certain business's are booming ..

my son is a partner in one of the countries biggest labor law firms ..they only represent corporations .

he heads the national dept that handles the paper work in case mass layoffs will be happening .

he has been swamped for almost 3 months now as they try to process all this work ...

my daughter inlaw runs the tax dept at a famous hedge fund so they have been busy ....

my other son owns an auto leasing business ...he has lots of pent up cars coming back from lease with new ones going to go out as soon as the dealerships can open .

my son inlaw is in construction .. he was swamped with all the make shift hospitals being built ...

today 32,000 construction jobs were reopened here in nyc

Old 06-08-2020, 09:36 AM

18,126 posts, read 8,590,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD59 View Post
I have a doctor in my family that has told me we need a vaccine before this virus will go away. Might be two years for a vaccine. I hope they find one soon.
I have 4 doctors in my family and none of them said anything like that. We may never have a vaccine.

Old 06-08-2020, 09:37 AM

18,126 posts, read 8,590,281 times
Quote:

Taiwan knows China too well. We’re too naive about China and the WHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics