Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2020, 06:11 PM

2,540 posts, read 1,026,268 times

Advertisements

Covid 19 rises, peaks and seems to be on a slow decline (at least in terms of death rates) but now the riots ravaging those cities that have been shut down for months. The recession doesn't look as strong as expected for the circumstances given the unemployment rate decreasing rather than increasing in May. But I imagine things won't return to normal until either we a) get a vaccine or b) herd immunity) and can do away with all those social distancing requirements and masks in public. When do you think that will be? Will we go into a boom similar to the one that dominated most of the 2010s or will it be very stagnant?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2020, 06:38 PM

5,809 posts, read 3,581,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingOutsideTheBox View Post
Covid 19 rises, peaks and seems to be on a slow decline (at least in terms of death rates) but now the riots ravaging those cities that have been shut down for months. The recession doesn't look as strong as expected for the circumstances given the unemployment rate decreasing rather than increasing in May. But I imagine things won't return to normal until either we a) get a vaccine or b) herd immunity) and can do away with all those social distancing requirements and masks in public. When do you think that will be? Will we go into a boom similar to the one that dominated most of the 2010s or will it be very stagnant?

I don't think that Covid-19 to going to totally go away anytime soon. So, a "return to normal" will depend mostly on whose perspective we are considering. If a person is old and with one or more serious physical conditions which make them more susceptible to the CV virus, then it may be a long time before they feel safe in going out in public.

OTOH, many younger/healthier people are ready to do so right now... and many of them are, in fact, doing so in states which allow it. I wouldn't bet any money on an effective vaccine anytime soon. We've been trying to find vaccines for the common cold with no success and vaccines for the "common flu" for decades with only limited success. So, the chances of a "Silver Bullet" vaccine for the Covid-19 flu are pretty slim, IMO. It's just something we'll have to adapt to.

Old 06-05-2020, 06:58 PM

5,062 posts, read 2,991,660 times
Back to normal? Any day now, the real economy is on fire!

Old 06-05-2020, 07:23 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,199,642 times
I think we will practice some form of social distancing for years to come. I am totally used to standing 6 ft away from everybody.

Old 06-05-2020, 07:27 PM

4,230 posts, read 2,436,004 times
The pre-Covid economy was the largest, most grotesque credit hyper-bubble in economic history. Covid has ripped a huge gaping hole in that bubble, so we will not be returning to the "good ol' days" of 2019 at any point in the future.

Old 06-05-2020, 08:15 PM

232 posts, read 179,153 times
People don't care about covid anymore. That news cycle passed. Now it's all about protests and blm. Those protestors are not social distancing. Restaurants are opening back up and people are not wearing masks. Stock market is near all time high. Even if cases and deaths go up, people don't care as long as they are not the ones dying. Most of society are merely sheeps that follow whatever is trending or viral. Covid is so last week.

Old 06-05-2020, 08:50 PM

3,343 posts, read 1,222,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamyst View Post
People don't care about covid anymore. That news cycle passed. Now it's all about protests and blm. Those protestors are not social distancing. Restaurants are opening back up and people are not wearing masks. Stock market is near all time high. Even if cases and deaths go up, people don't care as long as they are not the ones dying. Most of society are merely sheeps that follow whatever is trending or viral. Covid is so last week.
most people don't give 2 ****s about blm or protesting.
It's good news bc race baiting is always makes for good news, way better than day 90 or whatever of corona coverage.

things are opening up- in some places a lot more than others. most people are concerned with going back to work, opening their businesses and concerned with the protests with regards to looting and rioting.

Old 06-05-2020, 08:50 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,138,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamyst View Post
I agree. It's hard to buy into the "stay home until we get a vaccine" when thousands of maskless rioters and looters are standing shoulder to shoulder and governors look the other way.

Old 06-05-2020, 08:56 PM

7,801 posts, read 10,080,408 times
My guess would be around early 2021 ... assuming there isn't a large second wave and that there's better treatment plans or even a vaccine.

Old 06-05-2020, 09:07 PM

496 posts, read 442,583 times
My guess around 2021. The news on the vaccine front looks pretty promising, even from Fauci this week, but I'm not entirely expecting it to work completely as far as being the end of this that knocks it out. I think what will most likely happen is the virus will weaken. There seems to be some doctor's claims of this in places like Italy, but still very debatable and I'm a little skeptical of those claims, although the hospitalization rate going down may be indicative of it in general. If it does in fact weaken in most places, and doesn't come back worse, I think social distancing will be decreased and likely end at some point without a vaccine. Possibly later in 2021, though if a vaccine works and is distributed maybe sooner than that even.

Some treatments like the antibody plasma transfusions seem to be working very well, so there are better treatments than there were a few months ago, even if there hasn't been a 100% workable treatment yet.

Practically nobody wants to live like this forever, so I think most people will be glad to see it go and get back to normal again. Which means the economy will come back stronger, since consumer interest hasn't gone away like some predicted.

If there are not a high rate of increase in hospitalizations and deaths after these protests, it may even be sooner, because that would be an indication that it's relatively safe even now to let things down a bit. But I'd be wary of another wave in the fall, just like 1918 flu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics