U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2020, 07:34 PM

29,151 posts, read 35,565,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post

Cash is still King.

Long live the King.
Yup! That was exactly the phrase that the last guy said that I sold something to on CL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2020, 08:07 PM

10,459 posts, read 9,437,481 times
I pulled $100 from the bank back in February, several weeks before the shutdown. I have $46 left.

I purchased some plant starts from a roadside stand, I threw in $20 as a going away gift for a retiring coworker, and the rest of the money went to a farmer I buy free range eggs from.

Cash is largely irrelevant.

Old 06-12-2020, 09:28 PM

1,402 posts, read 871,825 times
Broke a $20 at Dairy Queen today.

Old 06-12-2020, 10:09 PM

1,613 posts, read 612,577 times
I bought Girl Scout Cookies in early March.

Old 06-12-2020, 11:11 PM

5,201 posts, read 3,245,922 times
I used paper money yesterday at: the pharmacy; at the Dollar Tree; at the gas station; and blew a whole dollar of paper money ( with a few coins for tax) at Burger King..just to get a snack of 8 chicken nuggets for$1 to fuel my errands.

I have a rule....and it may be different from yours....that ANY "CONSUMABLES" be paid for in cash ( in the envelope system) and NOT charged on a CC, even if paid off every month.

Just in case, say a major car repair happens ( just bought a 2019 last year, so "car fund" may not have enough money in it and Efund remaining untouched, I don't want to be paying for dinner 2 weeks ago in a half payment if I can't actually pay off the CC when the bill comes.

In our case, we've been hit hard by cutbacks in hours last year AND then by covid-19.
Efund is rebuilding ( with the help of a bonus every week for my OH s front lines essential job), and car fund wiped out, but had to replace a very unsafe 06, and we've actually dipped into retirement).

So, with 2 of 3 jobs gone due to covid-19, and it's now been confirmed my hotel job is gone, and my OH s second job is gone. So we survive now on my (little) SSDI check and the grocery store job.

With the stimulus I paid off CC s and closed them from 4 years ago when we updated the house we bought. That was a "good debt" if there was such a thing, but time to pay all that off.

So, to me, and perhaps many of Dave Ramsey s followers CASH is king and using the envelope system, and CASH is NOT DEAD.

I won't do any business with a business that won't take cash. Cash bills DO say "this note is legal tender for all debts public and private".
If you don't trust in that, then we might as well have a greater deeper depression than 1929+, and then rampant inflation that will make those binary codes attached to your CC just as worthless as cash.

CASH may go away totally in the future, but certainly NOT YET!

Old 06-13-2020, 01:08 AM

8,893 posts, read 4,767,714 times
Yeah, nobody uses cash any more; I guess all those people lined up at the ATMs are getting rid of their cash in favor of using plastic or the PayPal type systems.

Old 06-13-2020, 01:19 AM

1,778 posts, read 833,643 times
Today. Splitting a bar bill with friends. Far easier for everyone but one person to drop a couple 20s than to tell the waitress you want to itemize and split the bill and run a bunch of credit cards. Tell a busy waitress you want to split a bar bill 10 ways, and she'd look at you like the herpes breakout on her crotch

Last edited by rya96797; 06-13-2020 at 01:32 AM..

Old 06-13-2020, 03:48 AM

7,876 posts, read 3,824,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
I usually offer small businesses "Paper or Plastic?"

Small folks usually prefer Cash.

Using the VISA systems generally costs merchants at least 1% up to 3 or 4%.

So small businesses seem to prefer Cash.
That bolded part struck me as funny!
So clowns, midgets and person under what height do you consider "small folks'? I gotta make a note to tip or pay cash based on height now... wow whatta world we live in. Okay I did pay cash to the little kids at a lemonade stand, but I did not tip them! They fell over naturally

Old 06-13-2020, 04:24 AM

3,171 posts, read 3,358,071 times
I find there's a sort of correlation with cash or debit and the generations...older folks will pull out pockets of change for everything,while younger people will use cards for everything. I'm Gen X so I'm in the middle...I keep some cash in case of card failure etc but I still find it cumbersome at times unfolding bills or change falling out etc.

Old 06-13-2020, 04:37 AM

5,072 posts, read 2,226,067 times
I'm having to pay rent in cash, stuck here in Europe during the virus. And the ATM limit is 200 euros so we have to make several trips.

The restaurants take plastic but you can't include the tip, so we keep cash for tips and taxi rides.

Back home in Ecuador, no such thing as checks so any small vendor or service guy, it's all cash. A pain, but oh well.
Thankfully the super market takes plastic.

Back in the US we don't use cash for anything. Oh, I take that back...the mj dispensary!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or