U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2020, 03:30 PM

1,770 posts, read 867,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmexman View Post
I'm a cashier and I just cannot comprehend why people are still paying in cash during this pandemic.

I round up to the nearest dollar, you keep the change.
Plus an EBT swipe machine isn't all that better of an option, unless it's disinfected after each use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2020, 03:34 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
32,335 posts, read 58,927,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Well, they have to use something, which means they expose themselves to something. When you think about it, the safest option may be a paper check. They hand you the check that's been in their possession, no one else's. Apparently the virus persists longer on plastic than it does on paper. They don't get anything back that others have touched except a receipt. If they use cash they might get change out of your till, if they use a card they have to touch a machine or screen others have touched unless its one of those gadgets that does everything without a physical touch.

Also agree about being mindful about and avoiding processing fees.
We went to a store today that has a card scanner that is like a gun, you hold the card and they scan it. Debit cards do not cost the store any percentage like credit cards. If they prefer cash, it’s probably to avoid taxes.

Old 06-13-2020, 03:58 PM

64 posts, read 29,816 times
I pay cash for everything that will let me. That is one reason I'm a millionaire.

Old 06-13-2020, 04:11 PM

8,893 posts, read 4,767,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
I find there's a sort of correlation with cash or debit and the generations...older folks will pull out pockets of change for everything,while younger people will use cards for everything. I'm Gen X so I'm in the middle...I keep some cash in case of card failure etc but I still find it cumbersome at times unfolding bills or change falling out etc.
Another great failure of American parenting. Now we find mothers and fathers are failing abysmally at teaching their children the art of how to fold small pieces of paper and the science of gravity that causes small objects to drop to the ground if not contained. Perhaps evolution will step in to produce new appendages for the control of communications devices and the ubiquitous cup of coffee freeing the hands to once again perform the function of manipulating objects.

An alternative may be containing small pouches within one's garments for those objects reachable by ones hands rather than the use of a single large pouch placed out of reach by the wearer on the user's back like some kind of reverse constructed kangaroo.

Old 06-13-2020, 05:14 PM

2,656 posts, read 3,144,977 times
I use cash about every week. I try to keep about $20 in smaller bills handy, particularly for very small purchases (less than 5$ or so). It's a good idea to have some cash on hand, just in case.

Old 06-13-2020, 08:14 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,214,616 times
Paper money is not dead in my home. We use it frequently! Besides, no one can steal my CC# if I leave it at home.

Old 06-14-2020, 12:38 AM

16,881 posts, read 9,354,199 times
Last Wednesday. We got two orders of fish & chips at a chowder shack. It had changed owners since last year and was cash-only. I told them to keep the change. The only money I will put in my wallet at the moment is crisp new bills from my bank ATM machine.

Before that, I paid my marine mechanic in cash and the local tree guy in cash.

Old 06-14-2020, 12:41 AM

22 posts, read 2,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hulburt1 View Post
I pay cash for everything that will let me. That is one reason I'm a millionaire.
Most millionaires don't use cash every chance they get.

Old 06-14-2020, 07:58 AM

11,397 posts, read 5,043,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
Yesterday my wife joked about a wad of paper bills in her wallet that have been there since March and I realized that I hadn’t touched the $60 in my wallet for at least that long. Is paper money dead?
No, and you had better pray it never will be.
Government tries to control every aspect of your life as it is.
If they can eliminate money, they have that much more control over you, and can monitor what you buy, where you are, etc.
Then of course they can tax everything, where as now if you want to give someone a tip or do a personal transaction between two people for a used item, they will try to tax that as well.

`

Old 06-14-2020, 08:05 AM

10,459 posts, read 9,437,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomii View Post
almost always use paper money. Way too much trouble otherwise.

Been there done that for YEARS until we finally wised up

Too many issues with using a Credit card/Bank Card with ID theft.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
Paper money is not dead in my home. We use it frequently! Besides, no one can steal my CC# if I leave it at home.
I think these concerns are overblown. Using a card doesn’t contribute to identity theft, that is brought about in other ways.

As for fraudulent charges, they are not difficult to address. I have had two different card numbers stolen over the years. Each time I have gotten a call from the bank asking if I was charging a particular item, I responded that I was not, and the charges went away. A new card was issued each time, no lingering issues.

It has taken about 5 minutes of my life in total to deal with this.

On the other hand, I have enough air miles for a free round trip ticket to Australia at the moment, so that is a nice bonus which makes traveling a bit more affordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or