Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2020, 09:20 AM

4,972 posts, read 5,235,364 times

Advertisements

I took out $500 back in March. I still have around $200 of it left. I gave my husband some. I just handed my high schooler a $20 a little while ago. She has a friend who is a pretty good photographer. I paid him $60 for a short session a couple of days ago.

I grew up spending cash. I don't think my parents had a credit card until I was in college. I finally got a credit card my senior year in college so I would have it when I went out in the working world. I used it and paid it off every month. I knew not to spend more than I had and to keep a stash of money in the bank. So many of my classmates were in over their heads before they ever graduated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2020, 10:21 AM

3,192 posts, read 2,456,934 times
We have a small business that generates cash plus we accept Venmo. We pay individuals in cash plus mom and pop places to save them CC charges. We also bring cash along when we travel. I don’t see cash disappearing due to underground economy plus no fraud is associated with cash except for counterfeit bills.

Old 06-13-2020, 10:38 AM

102,094 posts, read 107,215,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
Yesterday my wife joked about a wad of paper bills in her wallet that have been there since March and I realized that I hadn’t touched the $60 in my wallet for at least that long. Is paper money dead?
I use it all the time. I get cash from the bank for my grocery money & other incidentals of the week/month. That helps me keep track of how much I'm spending, and helps me stay within budget.

Old 06-13-2020, 10:42 AM

102,094 posts, read 107,215,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
We have a small business that generates cash plus we accept Venmo. We pay individuals in cash plus mom and pop places to save them CC charges. We also bring cash along when we travel. I don’t see cash disappearing due to underground economy plus no fraud is associated with cash except for counterfeit bills.
This. Small businesses these days are so squeezed, that they really appreciate cash payment to avoid CC charges (which really add up at the end of each month), and one business owner told me recently, that B of A wanted to charge her $8 for cashing my check, so she left. B of A has been getting more and more penny-ante with business owners over the last 10 years or so, it's dismaying.

Anyway, all those niggling little charges do add up. I'm glad to see there are others out there, who are mindful of this stress to small business economies.It's getting harder and harder for them to stay afloat. But it's worth it to help them survive, because they really do provide better service than most chain businesses.

Old 06-13-2020, 12:30 PM

10,851 posts, read 7,256,603 times
I left a tip for the grocery delivery guy.
Later, I discovered I could have tipped him online.
But cash tips are nice because the whole thing goes to the worker. I'm never sure if management doesn't take a little from charged tips.

Old 06-13-2020, 12:37 PM

15,994 posts, read 20,986,750 times
Oh yeah, went to the flea/farmers market today. A dollar here, a dollar there, a few bucks elsewhere, all in all a half dozen vendors, broke a twenty and when it was gone I was done. Who needs a card for that.

Old 06-13-2020, 01:43 PM

263 posts, read 92,711 times
almost always use paper money. Way too much trouble otherwise.

Been there done that for YEARS until we finally wised up

Too many issues with using a Credit card/Bank Card with ID theft.

We also do not like the accounting aspect of it.

Having to call Paypal every few months to ask why are there fraudulent charges again. Keeps happening. Apply again, happens again. Sure they credit you but it's too much work. Sure we could ignore these charges, they aren't alot but Paypal needs to stop. Yes we know who is doing it.

We have a Bank card but unless we are planning a trip we generally won't use it. Sometimes if I am in a hurry I will use it to buy gas to save time walking inside.

Cash is so so much easier. We also like the privacy aspect of it too

Old 06-13-2020, 02:03 PM

493 posts, read 512,508 times
I'm a cashier and I just cannot comprehend why people are still paying in cash during this pandemic.

Old 06-13-2020, 02:32 PM

23,015 posts, read 18,357,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmexman View Post
I'm a cashier and I just cannot comprehend why people are still paying in cash during this pandemic.
Well, they have to use something, which means they expose themselves to something. When you think about it, the safest option may be a paper check. They hand you the check that's been in their possession, no one else's. Apparently the virus persists longer on plastic than it does on paper. They don't get anything back that others have touched except a receipt. If they use cash they might get change out of your till, if they use a card they have to touch a machine or screen others have touched unless its one of those gadgets that does everything without a physical touch.

Also agree about being mindful about and avoiding processing fees.

Old 06-13-2020, 02:39 PM

1,348 posts, read 699,180 times
i cannot remember
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics