U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2020, 12:05 PM

1,769 posts, read 867,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Inflation of course remains a possibility

I'm already seeing this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2020, 12:15 PM

2,831 posts, read 799,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
I'm already seeing this.
Be careful about stating this, Sunbiz. I talked about how last year I was seeing food prices going up on items that I buy at the grocery store and I was told by someone who doesn't even do their own grocery shopping that I was wrong lol. That is pretty rich.

Old 06-16-2020, 01:07 PM

3,983 posts, read 4,507,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
I'm already seeing this.
I hope you're referring to groceries. Because otherwise...

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/cpi.nr0.htm

Old 06-16-2020, 01:50 PM

1,769 posts, read 867,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
I hope you're referring to groceries. Because otherwise...

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/cpi.nr0.htm
Yes, most of it is pandemic related; thankfully.
Yet we've been shipping inflation overseas for a long time, we'll see how long that can continue.
Hopefully until I'm dead.

Old 06-16-2020, 01:59 PM

8,082 posts, read 7,505,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post
Be careful about stating this, Sunbiz. I talked about how last year I was seeing food prices going up on items that I buy at the grocery store and I was told by someone who doesn't even do their own grocery shopping that I was wrong lol. That is pretty rich.
I still have a hard time squaring your image as forum investment sage with observations like “My groceries are more expensive so there is national inflation.”

Old 06-16-2020, 02:25 PM

643 posts, read 255,042 times
ThErEs n0 iNfLaTi0n!

Anyone who thinks a dollar today buys you the same amount of housing, healthcare, groceries, etc as 1, 5, 10, or 20 years ago, is living in fantasyland.

And trusting the government to report on its own inflation statistics is probably like trusting schoolkids to create their own report cards. If they did that, it wouldn't be a surprise if they came home with straight 'A's'

Old 06-16-2020, 02:54 PM

2,831 posts, read 799,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
I still have a hard time squaring your image as forum investment sage with observations like “My groceries are more expensive so there is national inflation.”
I was simply stating an observation of what I was experiencing on a day-to day basis. Many items that I regularly purchase were increasing in price last year. I am not sure why this is so controversial or unbelievable. I am not just making it up out of thin air lol. It is really strange because the people who are in such disbelief over this do not even do their own grocery shopping.

Old 06-16-2020, 03:08 PM

2,600 posts, read 990,345 times
Price inflation? You have to use an authoritative index. The Fed gets a break — the closest McDonalds is a mile away from the Eccles Building.

Old 06-16-2020, 04:14 PM

9,609 posts, read 10,231,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post
If you are going to do that reprise the story accurately. FWIIW I believe your grocery prices increased as said.

Where your words and logic cratered some months ago was during the leap from X, Y and Z prices at such and such store(s) have increased ergo there must be significant general price inflation.

Last edited by EDS_; 06-16-2020 at 04:24 PM.. Reason: Big time wording error.

Old 06-16-2020, 04:22 PM

9,609 posts, read 10,231,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
ThErEs n0 iNfLaTi0n!

Anyone who thinks a dollar today buys you the same amount of housing, healthcare, groceries, etc as 1, 5, 10, or 20 years ago, is living in fantasyland.

And trusting the government to report on its own inflation statistics is probably like trusting schoolkids to create their own report cards. If they did that, it wouldn't be a surprise if they came home with straight 'A's'
I. Literally no one with a functioning brain stem believes aggregated prices are the same now as 5, 10 or 20 years ago. 1 year ago might be in question. We'll know a lot more on June 20.

II. If you are so confident that the .gov (day to day functionaries, The BLS, The Fed., NBER, Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid and lots more) + every econ. professor and grad student in the country, bankers, private economists and more are all in on this decades long con you should prove it and become a millionaire and celebrity overnight.

But you can't. A. because you don't have any of the requisite skills B. there is no long con.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics