Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2020, 12:12 PM

334 posts, read 188,400 times

Advertisements

This guy here Jeremiah Babe has good podcasts. He's been predicting the economic situation in the US for a while. Of course, those of us here who have said time-and-time again to prepare were laughed at and deemed "doomsayers." Well...if you still think your 401K and pension is safe and that there's going to be a great recovery soon....I have a bridge to sell you to the moon. Get Prepared People and Good Luck!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2020, 12:27 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,469,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propop View Post
This guy here Jeremiah Babe has good podcasts. He's been predicting the economic situation in the US for a while. Of course, those of us here who have said time-and-time again to prepare were laughed at and deemed "doomsayers." Well...if you still think your 401K and pension is safe and that there's going to be a great recovery soon....I have a bridge to sell you to the moon. Get Prepared People and Good Luck!

https://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2010...0%99s-why.html

Old 06-18-2020, 01:04 PM

19,790 posts, read 18,079,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
Inflation is, by definition, the expansion of the currency supply. Rising prices are a symptom of inflation, not Inflation itself.
False. I'll give you several counter examples.

Simplified greatly in deference to brevity and I'll omit some timing issues and downstream impacts because this stuff gets deep in the weeds fast.

However, first to help with an ongoing misapplied idea in your head persistent inflation is the hallmark of a great economy. The issue is economic growth must be higher than inflation. FE in The US there's been massive inflation since around 1900. But there has been even more economic growth........the yield is the average guy is better off today and by a lot all in than his 1900 kin.

Back on track.........some ways a growth in money supply will yield no change or decreasing inflationary pressures.

1. If money is added to the economy but r (bank required reserve %) is increased enough to absorb the new money - there will be no general price inflation. If changes in r result in more net new reserve money than the injection there will be deflationary pressures.

2. If aggregate saving (no letter s at the end) increases the same or more than a new money injection there will be no or negative related inflationary pressure.

3. If money supply is increased but overseas spending from US accounts increases the same there will be no inflationary pressure. If the same spending increases more than the money supply increase there will be deflationary pressure. This could be business spending, tourism, remittances, charitable giving etc.

4. The mechanisms are simple boiling down to increased cash on hand, slower/fewer transactions etc. but when the economy is slowing even massive increases in money supply may not cause inflation and typically do not. We are seeing this right now. The Fed. has spigots open, government spending is up hugely and yet we are looking at general price deflation certainly not significant general price inflation.

There are more.

You've been suckered by the broken down church of von Mises and Rothbard and some of their living acolites. Contextually speaking, you are a very low information guy with a lot of zeal and that's a really bad combination towards any level of understanding.

ETA - forgive the typos I don't have my glasses.

Old 06-18-2020, 01:15 PM

Quote:

That's sweet! Your financial/economics maven is a donation seeking real estate agent.

Old 06-18-2020, 02:06 PM

4,218 posts, read 2,457,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
False. I'll give you several counter examples.

Simplified greatly in deference to brevity and I'll omit some timing issues and downstream impacts because this stuff gets deep in the weeds fast.

However, first to help with an ongoing misapplied idea in your head persistent inflation is the hallmark of a great economy. The issue is economic growth must be higher than inflation. FE in The US there's been massive inflation since around 1900. But there has been even more economic growth........the yield is the average guy is better off today and by a lot all in than his 1900 kin.

Back on track.........some ways a growth in money supply will yield no change or decreasing inflationary pressures.

1. If money is added to the economy but r (bank required reserve %) is increased enough to absorb the new money - there will be no general price inflation. If changes in r result in more net new reserve money than the injection there will be deflationary pressures.

2. If aggregate saving (no letter s at the end) increases the same or more than a new money injection there will be no or negative related inflationary pressure.

3. If money supply is increased but overseas spending from US accounts increases the same there will be no inflationary pressure. If the same spending increases more than the money supply increase there will be deflationary pressure. This could be business spending, tourism, remittances, charitable giving etc.

4. The mechanisms are simple boiling down to increased cash on hand, slower/fewer transactions etc. but when the economy is slowing even massive increases in money supply may not cause inflation and typically do not. We are seeing this right now. The Fed. has spigots open, government spending is up hugely and yet we are looking at general price deflation certainly not significant general price inflation.

There are more.

You've been suckered by the broken down church of von Mises and Rothbard and some of their living acolites. Contextually speaking, you are a very low information guy with a lot of zeal and that's a really bad combination towards any level of understanding.

ETA - forgive the typos I don't have my glasses.
You have not refuted the fact that the increasing of the currency supply is the true definition of inflation.

Creating Federal Reserve Notes out of thin air doesn't cause inflation. It is inflation.

Old 06-18-2020, 02:08 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,430,666 times
Quote:
You have not refuted the fact that the increasing of the currency supply is the true definition of inflation.

Creating Federal Reserve Notes out of thin air doesn't cause inflation. It is inflation.
And if there’s insatiable demand for the USD overseas?

Old 06-18-2020, 02:20 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,469,715 times
Quote:

How does simply creating a pile of cash effect you or me?

Old 06-18-2020, 02:35 PM

334 posts, read 188,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
That's sweet! Your financial/economics maven is a donation seeking real estate agent.
Uhm...He's not a real estate agent and I would advise you to take heed of his words instead of being indifferent and arrogant.

Old 06-18-2020, 02:46 PM

Quote:

Sure I did. You simply don't understand any of this sufficiently enough to emerge from behind the platitudes and slogans.

Within this context you are the anti-vaccine adherent........the guy shrieking that high dose vitamin C will cure multiforme glioblastoma......the guy who thinks, "the man" is poisoning the masses with chemtrails etc.
You have certain special sources and insight that economists miss etc. It's all bunk and at some level you know it.

Why not engage reality a little and pick up a legit econ. book? What you are doing is going akin to going to the doctor for a sprained ankle and demanding an enema and an eye-patch.

Old 06-18-2020, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Uhm...He's not a real estate agent and I would advise you to take heed of his words instead of being indifferent and arrogant.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateag...ings_ca_396632
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics