U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2020, 06:21 AM

12,736 posts, read 6,090,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post
This begs the question, what are people in such an all-fired hurry for all the time?

In all my years shopping at WM I've never encountered a nasty cashier. Maybe one who didn't say hello and was extra quiet, but I still smile and say thank you. I appreciate to no end their help bagging everything up because a whole cart full of groceries can be quite a job for an elderly lady to do by herself.

Self-checkout cashier once told me: if everybody refused to use these checkouts they would bring back the clerks. Only once have I had one too slow, and once I had one too fast, she must have been on speed or something. I couldn't get the bags loaded and get my card put away before she had half the next person's items bagged, kinda mixed with mine. Most of them work at a steady pace. I know they're not easy jobs. Am I the only one who says thank you?
I had about 10 items when I stopped at Wal-Mart on Friday. I needed to return a few items that didn't fit my granddaughter. Stood in line for 20 minutes. THIS is why I rarely shop there. Target has nicer things and they are good about not making people wait in line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2020, 06:29 AM

16,968 posts, read 10,131,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
With close to 5,000 stores, this would be an enormous quantity of jobs lost.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddri...K4f?li=BBnb7Kz
And such great jobs they are - almost all part time and talk about the benefits!

Walmart doesn't even have cheap prices once you compare them - they count on people not checking and have slowly raised them over time.

Now they just want more profit and if they can get customers to do the work, great. I heard that cashiers all have to stock shelves too, so it'll be super easy for them to make the change.

Old 06-21-2020, 07:52 AM

8,113 posts, read 3,257,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
And such great jobs they are - almost all part time and talk about the benefits!

Walmart doesn't even have cheap prices once you compare them - they count on people not checking and have slowly raised them over time.

Now they just want more profit and if they can get customers to do the work, great. I heard that cashiers all have to stock shelves too, so it'll be super easy for them to make the change.
That depends. Walmart's grocery prices are lower then regular prices at any of the supermarkets near me. But they are not lower then supermarket sale prices. Generally supermarket sale prices are 20% - 30% less then Walmart, but regular prices are 20% - 30% higher. Unfortunately over the last few years supermarket sales seem to be farther and farther in between. I have fallen into the trap of just going to Walmart, because I got tired of driving the 20 miles to the supermarkets only to find nothing on sale and nothing I can even afford to buy. At Walmart, I know I'm not getting great prices, but I also know I'm not going to get price gouged with ridiculously high prices. I would much rather shop at Safeway then Walmart, but I just can't afford it.

Old 06-21-2020, 08:41 AM

565 posts, read 256,516 times
I usually compare prices and find Walmart to be the cheapest on most things, especially when compared to Amazon. The only one who comes close when it comes to food prices is Aldi/Lidl.

Example here is my most recent purchase,

https://www.amazon.com/Zeiss-Box-Len...dp/B00L3C93N4/ - $15 for 60 wipes

https://www.walmart.com/ip/ZEISS-Len...Pack/125911673 - $11.25 for 225 wipes

Old 06-21-2020, 09:07 AM

600 posts, read 375,991 times
So, basically unskilled laborers are screwed in this country it seems. We don't have enough jobs because the labor supply is too great for the labor demand / available (or budgeted) positions. Wages are not keeping pace with COL.

Old 06-21-2020, 10:21 AM

8,113 posts, read 3,257,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22003yo View Post
I usually compare prices and find Walmart to be the cheapest on most things, especially when compared to Amazon. The only one who comes close when it comes to food prices is Aldi/Lidl.

Example here is my most recent purchase,

https://www.amazon.com/Zeiss-Box-Len...dp/B00L3C93N4/ - $15 for 60 wipes

https://www.walmart.com/ip/ZEISS-Len...Pack/125911673 - $11.25 for 225 wipes
That Walmart price is a sale price. The regular price is $16.50. Also you are not looking at the lowest price on Amazon. That 60 pack is also available for $9.95 on Amazon. Not that that is a good price, but just saying. The closest comparable item on Amazon would be a 220 pack for $19.99. But it's still more complicated then that. To get free shipping on Walmart you would have to buy four of those packs. On Amazon you would only need to order another $5 item to get free shipping. No other purchase needed if you have a Prime membership. So if you are going to buy 4 packs, or you have other items to buy, the Walmart price is a pretty good deal. If you are just buying that one item, it's not so great.

Anyway one item, doesn't prove that Walmart is the lowest prices, but it does go to show the importance of shopping all of the sites.

Old 06-21-2020, 10:32 AM

2,096 posts, read 555,926 times
Lesson 1... stop buying "wipes."

Old 06-21-2020, 10:38 AM

2,096 posts, read 555,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g500 View Post
So, basically unskilled laborers are screwed in this country it seems. We don't have enough jobs because the labor supply is too great for the labor demand / available (or budgeted) positions. Wages are not keeping pace with COL.
It's not limited to "unskilled workers."

For one thing, it's a long-term trend to call anyone without a degree and a business card an "unskilled worker." Maybe guys who just hump boxes in a warehouse are unskilled, but I wouldn't put, say, forklift drivers or grocery checkers in that class. The implied elitism... solves nothing. But never mind that.

We are already seeing erosion of more skilled positions, and it's going to keep creeping up the tree to white-collar, desk-bound, "automation proof" jobs in the very near future. The takeaway here is that you can't cling to some fragment of comfort because it's these "unskilled workers" who are in deep weeds, and not you, of course. Your job may be no more secure than that of old-school longshoremen or night janitors.

Old 06-21-2020, 10:46 AM

600 posts, read 375,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
It's not limited to "unskilled workers."

For one thing, it's a long-term trend to call anyone without a degree and a business card an "unskilled worker." Maybe guys who just hump boxes in a warehouse are unskilled, but I wouldn't put, say, forklift drivers or grocery checkers in that class. The implied elitism... solves nothing. But never mind that.

We are already seeing erosion of more skilled positions, and it's going to keep creeping up the tree to white-collar, desk-bound, "automation proof" jobs in the very near future. The takeaway here is that you can't cling to some fragment of comfort because it's these "unskilled workers" who are in deep weeds, and not you, of course. Your job may be no more secure than that of old-school longshoremen or night janitors.
You don't even know me. I'm unemployed. You sound like you are trying to pick a fight. It's a common term unskilled worker, one I've never put much thought into. I didn't say it intentionally or with malice. You don't like the word unskilled? Workers without a college degree then? Either way doesn't change the premise of my argument.

Edit: I am also seriously considering one of these unskilled jobs like working at Target for $15 an hour or in the FedEx or Amazon warehouses here. You don't even know me, trying to make it sound like I'm talking down on people. LOL

Last edited by g500; 06-21-2020 at 10:55 AM..

Old 06-21-2020, 11:16 AM

4,615 posts, read 2,134,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g500 View Post
You don't even know me. I'm unemployed. You sound like you are trying to pick a fight. It's a common term unskilled worker, one I've never put much thought into. I didn't say it intentionally or with malice. You don't like the word unskilled? Workers without a college degree then? Either way doesn't change the premise of my argument.

Edit: I am also seriously considering one of these unskilled jobs like working at Target for $15 an hour or in the FedEx or Amazon warehouses here. You don't even know me, trying to make it sound like I'm talking down on people. LOL
I think a lot of people are misusing the word "unskilled" as a synonym for "blue collar". Which is incorrect. Welding two heavy sheets of steel is hell of a lot more difficult than writing a VLookUp function in Excel, even though the former job requires a simple welding license, while the latter job often requires a full Bachelor degree.

Now, stocking shelves or unloading boxes, that's a closer match of "unskilled". Basically, something a high-schooler can do with only a set of verbal instructions.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 06-21-2020 at 11:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or