U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2020, 04:30 PM
Status: "I'm not voting for the old white guy." (set 19 days ago)

16,352 posts, read 9,749,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post
This begs the question, what are people in such an all-fired hurry for all the time?

In all my years shopping at WM I've never encountered a nasty cashier. Maybe one who didn't say hello and was extra quiet, but I still smile and say thank you. I appreciate to no end their help bagging everything up because a whole cart full of groceries can be quite a job for an elderly lady to do by herself.

Today a nice younger chap checked me out and he was very astute, noticing that I reached over and put my Rx bag in one of his bags. He asked if I paid for that 'down there' which is the pharmacy. One never gets a drug or a pharmacy bag which are different without paying for the item or if it's $0 because of insurance they even give you a $0 receipt...so I flashed that in front of him and answered oh yes. So he was looking out for his employer.

A Clerk in charge of the whole self-checkout cluster once told me the shoplifting in that section is awful. She would know. I will use the self-checkout if I have a small order and not more than 1 or 2 things I have to look up. Most of our spots are not set up for big orders. I can't get a big order on the weigh station after scanning. I've never been stopped at the door except for once I had something in the bottom without a bag because it was too big and he checked the receipt. I don't mind that.

I hate online shopping. Go to an online shopping site and look around for something to buy for a gift... where does one start? Online to buy meat or produce or bakery items, never going to do that. Shoes, they all fit differently.

Self-checkout cashier once told me: if everybody refused to use these checkouts they would bring back the clerks. Only once have I had one too slow, and once I had one too fast, she must have been on speed or something. I couldn't get the bags loaded and get my card put away before she had half the next person's items bagged, kinda mixed with mine. Most of them work at a steady pace. I know they're not easy jobs. Am I the only one who says thank you?
My sentiments exactly. I do a lot of online shopping but when I go in a store the last thing I want is to be automated right back out of it. Self checkout, u-scan, u-bag, u do it all, ugh. Not everyone can be astrophysicists, and especially now, I would imagine a few people wouldn't mind a job, even it it doesn't pay a whole lot. Take a minute and say thank you to your cashier. They were considered essential personnel a month ago, you know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2020, 05:18 PM

2,758 posts, read 1,187,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
At my local Walmart they currently have more employees than ever before at the registers. I suspect that will only last until they have us all "trained" on the correct self-checkout procedure.

I used to hate self-checkout until they added the "gun" scanner. Now that I can leave everything in my basket and scan it all with the handheld gun, I don't mind doing it myself.

Throughout history, people have been replaced by technology. Autos replaced horse-drawn buggies causing stable boys to be replaced by mechanics.

People have to retrain when their job is eliminated. There is little point in trying to stop the spread of more efficient technology.
At the Walmarts I worked in there were grade levels of pay. Cashiers was level 3. Walmart will hire more floor people at the lower levels and train them to run the cash registers. They hired less official cashiers and would work the lower levels for the work that usually costs them more pay but they save lots of money that way. The lower level employees do not get extra time to finish their usual tasks and are wrote up. Eventually, a lot of the workers are let go and they bring in new workers and do the same thing to them. They try to get rid of as many as they can before they are due to receive benefits. The managers get extra bonuses for saving the money.

Old 06-23-2020, 05:32 AM

251 posts, read 56,908 times
Others do the same as well,HD,KR ,make them work part time so no health benefits

Old 06-24-2020, 07:58 AM

2,173 posts, read 869,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Four words:

Not . Going . To . Happen

Pay people to do nothing? I don't think so.
Even if there is nothing for them to do? The main driver behind the universal basic income is that automation is going to vastly reduce the demand for human employment. In all industries. So how else are people going to survive?

Old 06-24-2020, 08:08 AM

8,595 posts, read 17,166,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
You just need fewer people IN ALL SECTORS to do the labor. Are we all going to do each others laundry? cook each other's meals? Clean each other's houses? Unclog each other's drains? What are these new human jobs that people will migrate too? Maybe we can all sell cheap chinese trinkets on ebay?
The aging industry will generate a good number of those kinds of unskilled jobs as the boomers try to figure out how to stay out of the nursing home as long as possible. For someone with only moderate physical or mental decline, it's far more cost effective and healthier to pay someone to come in and help for 10-15 hours a week than it is to move to 'the home' too early when they're being billed for a lot of stuff they don't need yet.

Old 06-24-2020, 08:10 AM

14,208 posts, read 5,861,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
Even if there is nothing for them to do? The main driver behind the universal basic income is that automation is going to vastly reduce the demand for human employment. In all industries. So how else are people going to survive?

There is always something to do.

Old 06-24-2020, 02:51 PM

6,345 posts, read 3,609,118 times
Basic economic concepts:

-There is an inverse relationship between population size and resources per person

-Given a competitive profit motive businesses in an open society will look to reduce labor costs to offset rising natural resource (input costs) given above

Automation, IT, Robotics, AI, etc.. are all tools that businesses will use to lower production costs via labor inputs to remain competitive. In the future we will have less jobs but require more efficient/technical people to fill those fewer jobs. The problem are a growing population and a disrupted population of people that lose jobs and cannot or choose not to retrain to a new industry.

Old 06-25-2020, 08:11 PM

251 posts, read 56,908 times
someone posted WMT bought Jet blue,No,it bought Jet,com
I just found out they wrote off Jet,com,they paid billions,

Old 06-25-2020, 08:54 PM

3,932 posts, read 1,038,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
someone posted WMT bought Jet blue,No,it bought Jet,com
I just found out they wrote off Jet,com,they paid billions,
JetBlue filed suit against WMT/Jet.com last year re: alleged trademark infringement relative to Jetblack, which WMT has since discontinued.

Old 06-26-2020, 05:24 AM

75,923 posts, read 88,805,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
With close to 5,000 stores, this would be an enormous quantity of jobs lost.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddri...K4f?li=BBnb7Kz
I truthfully see no problem with the idea. I think, if we really consider what has been happening over the years, the printing is on the wall. Sooner or later this will happen in retail period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or