Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2020, 09:31 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,613,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
If I wanted self check out no human interaction........I would do all my shopping online.
The average person, myself included, procrastinates or is disorganized way too much to do all their shopping on-line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2020, 09:33 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,613,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I predict it will work well in affluent suburban areas, but will get rolled back quickly in lower income locales due to shoplifting, intentional misidentification of produce items for cheaper ones, and all the other little ways that the presence of a cashier helps prevent fraud and loss.
Doesn't every Walmart already have self checkout? If there are thief's out there wanting to take advantage of no cashiers then they already are.

Old 06-17-2020, 09:44 PM

8,658 posts, read 3,853,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Maybe my biggest thrill is to go in see my favorite nice cashier when I shop for whatever. If I wanted self check out no human interaction........I would do all my shopping online.
You'll have to find other thrills; you can't avoid technology. Amazon Go stores charge you (via an app) as you walk out the door with the item(s).

Old 06-17-2020, 11:14 PM

3,771 posts, read 1,522,403 times
Guess they don’t have the amazon camera tech that knows what items you picked up and automatically charges you.

Old 06-18-2020, 04:43 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I predict it will work well in affluent suburban areas, but will get rolled back quickly in lower income locales due to shoplifting, intentional misidentification of produce items for cheaper ones, and all the other little ways that the presence of a cashier helps prevent fraud and loss.
Right now, it's very easy to steal from Walmart. They're not even checking receipts at my store.

My store was remodeled last year so that there's more self check out then cashier registers. Most days some of the self check out is down for some reason or another.

Even with more self check-outs, there are still lines in every section, self check out and cashier lanes.

Add to the shopping inconvenience of all of their store shoppers that leave those huge carts in the middle of the isle so you can't get passed them. I had one yesterday where the guy just let go of it in a main walkway and dashed in the bread isle. I said "really" because I was right behind him. I started pushing his cart with mine when he back talked me saying "it's not that serious". Well I'm sick of these shoppers. 2 isles down was another blocking the cereal isle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Until a machine is infallible, a human is your better asset to resolve that which a program cannot.

Try fighting with a program. It rang up the price wrong, Who you going to tell??

Or it double charged. Too bad, the cashier that you eagerly said is Useless ..suddenly becomes your ally to resolve that technical glitch.

I worked as a cashier, most consumers were civil. I cannot imagine they enjoy the complainers or the ansty self imposed important person. Yet it put bread on the table and gave them a sense that they were an element in the business module.

Ask any Business Owner and they will tell you that paying LABOR is a bane to them. The Owners sole goal is to PAY out the least amount of funds to keep the golden goose lining their bank account. The Go to has been to cut labor before cutting Budget resources.
True fact- Our one business owner would have ( and did) fire staff so that he could improve his revenue thru an online website. Two years into that "investment" and not a soul was ordering from that debacle of a site. Every customer still insisted on having a LIVE voice hear them out or follow thru on the order tracking or return. You can lead a horse to water , but most STILL insist that it takes a human to resolve a humans concern.
Every business would be nothing without those of us that do the grunt work but of course, we're the least valuable and worth the least. There are executive earning big money that probably have no clue what a physical job is.

I honestly can't see this working for multiple reasons. One is programs like WIC where an actual cashier has to enter the check info. Also for reasons you state such as register issues like I've had the last few times I've been to Walmart. I could cancel an item but the employee had to ok it.

Old 06-18-2020, 04:53 AM

7,179 posts, read 9,306,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
The cashiers at Wal mart seem miserable. I don't even shop there anymore, they're so freaking rude. If their jobs are gone, so be it.
Same here.

I stopped going to Wal-Mart on March 14, my first day of pandemic self-isolation.

I don't trust the people of Wal-Mart to follow hygiene rules.

Old 06-18-2020, 06:58 AM

4,829 posts, read 4,281,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Until a machine is infallible, a human is your better asset to resolve that which a program cannot.

Try fighting with a program. It rang up the price wrong, Who you going to tell??

Or it double charged. Too bad, the cashier that you eagerly said is Useless ..suddenly becomes your ally to resolve that technical glitch.

I worked as a cashier, most consumers were civil. I cannot imagine they enjoy the complainers or the ansty self imposed important person. Yet it put bread on the table and gave them a sense that they were an element in the business module.

Ask any Business Owner and they will tell you that paying LABOR is a bane to them. The Owners sole goal is to PAY out the least amount of funds to keep the golden goose lining their bank account. The Go to has been to cut labor before cutting Budget resources.
True fact- Our one business owner would have ( and did) fire staff so that he could improve his revenue thru an online website. Two years into that "investment" and not a soul was ordering from that debacle of a site. Every customer still insisted on having a LIVE voice hear them out or follow thru on the order tracking or return. You can lead a horse to water , but most STILL insist that it takes a human to resolve a humans concern.
I live in Arkansas and self checkout is a big thing. Wal-Mart will have more self checkout "pods" with an attendant or two overseeing roughly (10) checkout machines within each pod.

Cashiers will/have transitioned over to home delivery and/or grocery pickup. Attrition will take care of the older workers and bad workers who quit/get fired will not be replaced as quickly.

Truthfully, this is nothing new. I solely use self checkout, since I don't smoke cigarettes and I don't buy alcohol from Wal-Mart.

Old 06-18-2020, 07:17 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,299,568 times
I will not use self check-outs. If I'm giving you my money I expect at least a modicum of interaction with a live person. I'm not interesting in increasing profits for the CEO's of huge companies while they cut jobs for their front line employees. I rarely shop at Wal-Mart and if they did away with all cashiers in favor of self check-out they will never see me in their store again.

Old 06-18-2020, 07:22 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,900,543 times
Quote:
The cashiers at Wal mart seem miserable. I don't even shop there anymore, they're so freaking rude. If their jobs are gone, so be it.
Our daughter worked at Walmart for a while and if you had to work there for any length of time, you might become rude and certainly miserable.
Three main issues (and it's not the pay):
Hours, they jerk around your hours from day to day. There is no way one can plan a family like or a second job if needed. The local store does not set your hours but it is done out of corporate. It is done to handle the rush, sort of like JIT in human form.
You are treated by corporate and most cases upper management, not like a valued team member but like an object.
Store Management, not sure if their managers are that terrible, or they have zero control over their store. Could be a combination of both as the managers might have been good to start with but just gave up and have thrown in the towel.

Old 06-18-2020, 07:38 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,430,660 times
Quote:
You get what you deserve..... Never have a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics