U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2020, 07:19 AM

4,559 posts, read 3,409,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22003yo View Post
AWS is not killing Walmart, it's a completely separate business. Walmart is doing just fine. The Walmart app is really good, fast delivery, cheaper prices than Amazon and less price fluctuations. Your article even states revenue was up YoY, net income was down which can be due to many factors.

More recent
I don't think people account for all the Wal-Mart's in rural areas that would not be cost effective for Amazon to enter. Sure, things could change in 30 years, but for right now, Wal-Mart is doing just fine.

When you live in metropolitan areas that have options, of course Wal-Mart looks cheap and dated. However, there's a lot of areas that will not support Amazon E-commerce, at the moment. I shop for some things on Amazon that aren't readily available locally, but I typically don't buy from Amazon if I can buy it locally for nearly the same price.

Wal-Mart's grocery pickup is far more effective than people realize. My local Wal-Mart is packed M-F @ 5PM with parents doing grocery pickup after work. It's been a positive for Wal-mart overall.

I still say their website is better than it was in 2013. I'm able to search the website for what I need easily. I typically search Amazon and then compare the price on Wal-Mart's website.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2020, 07:42 AM

15,352 posts, read 20,713,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Three words: Universal Basic Income ($1,000 a month) for all citizens making less then $75,000 a year or $100,000 a year in higher COL areas like the Tri-State area or San Francisco Bay area.
It's pointless without "Universal Health Care"

Old 06-19-2020, 07:44 AM

8,113 posts, read 3,257,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
No. Most people can’t wait a day or even half a day for something to show up at their door. They need to go to the store so they can get it NOW so they can work on the project around their house that weekend of bake that birthday cake for later that afternoon.
Planning. Most people planning a birthday party, would order the ingredients for the cake more then a day in advance, maybe even a week in advance. If you are running to the store to buy a cake mix to make that same afternoon, you are seriously disorganized, or you forgot somebody's birthday. LOL.

But even using your scenario, online shopping would work fine. Assuming it was Friday, you would order the cake mix online. It would be delivered later that day. You would bake the cake as soon as it arrives, and it would be ready for the weekend.

Old 06-19-2020, 07:56 AM

8,113 posts, read 3,257,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I don't think grocery stores will ever completely close down. Many people like picking out their own produce & meats.
Likely that will be done with virtual shopping in the future. You will see a live image of the display case. You will tap on the screen to select what you want and a robot will grab it for you and drop it in a package with your name and address on it.

It's coming. You can drag your feet and try to delay it, but it's still going to happen. There will be no brick and mortar stores in the future.

Old 06-19-2020, 07:59 AM

118 posts, read 27,435 times
I agree that many cashiers are slower than I would like. I agree that many customers on the check out line act as if this were their first time in a supermarket. Despite all this I still use the cashier because I realize that many of the workers are doing their best and won't be able to find another job. I consider it my neighborhood and I want to keep as many jobs as possible, at all levels.

So, it takes me a few extra minutes to check out. While I value my time, I consider it small change compared to cashiers loosing their jobs. Relatively unskilled work - hard to find. But important to the worker. Helping people keep their jobs is very important to me.

Remember - we're all in this together. Or at least I thought we were.

Old 06-19-2020, 09:44 AM

2,758 posts, read 1,187,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
You have to be organized to shop in a store, not online. You have to figure out everything you need, when you need it, and make sure you don't forget anything when you go.

With online shopping you just click buttons for what you need, as you need it.

If it was so damn hard and expensive to buy groceries online, I would never step foot in another store.

You cannot try on clothes and shoes when shopping online. You used to be able to when shopping in a store.

Old 06-19-2020, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
A lot of people grocery shop at walmart. I think people who do that really prefer NOT to have people doing their grocery shopping for them. Most people I know who do that are not satisfied with the results. You might look for a specific type of fruit in terms of ripeness level, want to get a specific weight of meat, look for the latest expiration dates, etc.
Right. Plus, people like to look over clearance sections for deals.

Old 06-19-2020, 09:52 AM

8,595 posts, read 17,166,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
You cannot try on clothes and shoes when shopping online. You used to be able to when shopping in a store.
There have been a number of attempts at 'virtual try ons' but unless you're talking Uniqlo, sizing is so inconsistent they're pretty worthless because you can have two different pairs of what are allegedly the same cut and style of pants with a size 32 waist and one of them will have a 31 waist and the other one will have a 33 waist.

And the majority of 'fast fashion' brands aren't going to pay factories to make sure every 32 waist pant is actually a 32 waist.

Old 06-19-2020, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post
I hope you're right, but Walmart is the fifteenth largest company in the world. I think there's a lot of traction still. I don't think Amazon can compete with them IRT groceries. Is it whole foods amazon bought? Still pricey. And the masses don't have money to burn. However, the rest of what they sell is crapola.

I've known people who worked at walmart, and it's a complete nightmare, right down to assistant store managers wishing they could break their own leg to not have to come into work. I kid you not. It's the worst I've ever heard of. Plus, for lower-level workers, to get the extra buck an hour, you have to argue with your manager for the time to complete the computer work necessary. Moreover, that computer work is useless, as is the videos they make all new hires watch (basically propaganda).

As far as shopping there, I've been using their free curbside pickup by shopping online. I don't go in at all. There's only one other store in my area that doesn't charge for pickup, but you have to be 60+ to get that, and I'm sure it will disappear once the pandemic is over...or lessened.

PS: Walmart bananas arrive very green (inedible) in the US and go to a massive warehouse(s?), and hang from the ceiling in long bunches to the floor under lights to ripen. The former manager told me it's bananas as far as the eye can see...rows and rows. It's a big secret, and the assistant store managers learn of it during training, and are told not to tell anyone. Supposedly American's would be angry. (I'm not sure why...but it's an interesting story).

Lastly, I don't don't get the idea of social interaction needs from cashiers? I'm friendly enough with them, but I don't need nor want it...it just "is". I socialize elsewhere.
I worked at four different Walmarts. The customers were usually okay. There were some bad ones. I never had a customer complain against me. I kept getting fired because I got sick so much. The managers were mostly awful and abusive. At one I kept straightening up the underwear and the customers would come along and mess it up again. The manager kept cussing me out in front of the customers telling me how lazy and such I was for not keeping the underwear straight. It was during Christmas shopping time frame and the underwear was popular. I sometimes broke down crying afterwards and the customers would be hugging on me trying to cheer me up after the manager would leave. It was humiliating. If it weren't for the management and my getting sick much of the time it would've been a great job to me.

Old 06-19-2020, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
There have been a number of attempts at 'virtual try ons' but unless you're talking Uniqlo, sizing is so inconsistent they're pretty worthless because you can have two different pairs of what are allegedly the same cut and style of pants with a size 32 waist and one of them will have a 31 waist and the other one will have a 33 waist.

And the majority of 'fast fashion' brands aren't going to pay factories to make sure every 32 waist pant is actually a 32 waist.
Yes, I have had two shirts of the same brand and style before supposedly the same size and one shirt would be too small.

Facebook marketplace around here has a lot of clothes on it where the person bought the clothes, without being able to try it on first, and the item didn't fit. Stores don't allow return of clothes. So, you can lose a lot of money trying to find clothes that fit right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or