U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2020, 10:35 AM

2,758 posts, read 1,187,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post
As I stated in my above post, Walmart has free curbside pickup. You order online (free), pick out a pick up time (which can actually be done now), they do all the shopping....and put it in your trunk for you. You don't even have to get out of the car, and during the pandemic, they sign for you, so you don't even have to touch the reader. (I think a problem may one day arise from that, but I use an account with very little money in it)

I hate walmart as much as the next person, but those shopping services not only charge, but I've read that they charge more for each item, in addition to the fee. And I'm only talking about curbside pickup...I don't need someone to deliver it to me, as I'm perfectly capable of driving to the store...I just don't want to go in.

Note too, that I'm frankly stunned by the quality of the produce they pick out for me. I think they want to be careful about that, because people won't be happy with them if the produce is wilted/old.

PS: I'm still reading...I see I've missed much...back now to page 3
Around here you might have time slots booked up for a week or two and when the workers mess up your order you are not allowed to return to store for refund due to the virus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2020, 10:42 AM

38,996 posts, read 34,940,019 times
I love self check. I just wish you didn't have to go through a checker cause you have a 12 pack of beer. Just swipe your DL is how it should be setup like many other stores already do. Whatever way gets me out the door the quickest.

Old 06-19-2020, 11:19 AM

5,115 posts, read 2,247,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
High labor costs will always result in less demand for labor. Now that automation can replace labor, things like $15/hour labor costs will result in mass layoffs replaced by automation.

When labor is cheap, it costs more to maintain the automation, so you just higher more labor. It has been a long time since labor was cheap in America.
Uh, wait staff in red states has been raking in $2.13 an hour since the 60s.

I call that cheap.

Back to the discussion, I loathe self checkout. But def things are going in that direction...just not where I live. The cashiers get to sit down, lol.

Old 06-19-2020, 11:23 AM

5,115 posts, read 2,247,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
You cannot try on clothes and shoes when shopping online. You used to be able to when shopping in a store.
Yes, and feel the fabric for quality. Many fabrics are so shoddily made, they are see-through.

Old 06-19-2020, 11:25 AM

2,096 posts, read 555,926 times
I'm not sure what the difficulty of buying clothes online has to do with Walmart going to SCO.

(Written as someone who just had a whole subthread deleted for similar drift...)

Old 06-19-2020, 01:11 PM

99 posts, read 26,492 times
I am not surprised. The self-checkout options have expanded quite a bit at many stores. I have seen Walmarts with 6 self-checkouts. Grocery stores have 6-8 self checkouts. Some stores have scanners so you can checkout and bag as you shop and then all you do is pay once you get to the register.

Old 06-19-2020, 01:36 PM

1,142 posts, read 227,052 times
Walmart I go to (to get anything I cant get at Aldi), they have a bored person supervising a huge empty self checkout section and two or three live cashiers with LONG, LONG lines. The bored person cant even temporarily open a regular checkout lane, just has to sit there. Its obviously to convince people to use the self checkout by minimizing cashier availability. Tough toe nails, you want me to self check out, you need to PAY ME to do it with a big discount. Sometimes when I get up to cashiers and its going to be an hour wait, I just abandon cart full of crap and leave. They dont want to pay cashiers, they can pay somebody to put the groceries back on the shelf.

Old 06-19-2020, 03:04 PM

1,681 posts, read 629,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I don't think grocery stores will ever completely close down. Many people like picking out their own produce & meats.

I stepped foot in a grocery store the last time 3 months and 9 days ago. Everything has been ordered since then.

It has worked - we have numerous chains to choose from for delivery - but with flaws. Meat products have more than once been perilously close to expiration date, fruit & veggies sometimes rotten, items you ordered missing from the delivery, and worst of all some clueless delivery drivers who just throw the bags in front of your building and drive off - without telling you they were there.

At this point, I'm close to venturing back out again simply because my annoyance with those elements may finally outweigh my concern about the situation out there. So yes, I do believe in person grocery shopping will always remain a thing.

Old 06-19-2020, 03:15 PM

251 posts, read 56,908 times
I love shopping in a store in the summer,free air conditioning,browse this and browse that,wide aisles,clean floor,free samples,better than a bowling alley

Old 06-19-2020, 03:26 PM

2,096 posts, read 555,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
I love shopping in a store in the summer,free air conditioning,browse this and browse that,wide aisles,clean floor,free samples,better than a bowling alley
It's a very, very carefully crafted experience. There's more to it that putting milk and eggs in the back. And besides being mostly pleasant things, we've been conditioned to think of it all as a desirable experience.

But I generally agree — with this, and in that grocery shopping is a long ways from dead. Perhaps some larger number will come out of this having discovered that delivery suits them well; I suspect it will be much the same crowd that shops the premium stores because their purchases are relatively small and definable and the cost of gourmet mac and cheese doesn't break the bank for one or two people.

Oddly, though, I sometimes get hit with an overwhelming sense of depression in a grocery store, and there's no one factor that seems to account for it — not store, weather, time of day, size of crowd, anything. I just get about halfway through and get this terribly funereal vibe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or