U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2020, 04:29 PM

8,868 posts, read 2,460,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
With close to 5,000 stores, this would be an enormous quantity of jobs lost.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddri...K4f?li=BBnb7Kz

Good I am all for automation. Instead of just handing out helicopter money and having people sit at home this was the perfect opportunity for retraining people into new fields. There still will be demand for jobs just not the entry level unskilled ones. During the next year or two where we may be dealing with the pandemic we should be training people for free for higher skilled jobs.

And I like the self checkouts, especially during a pandemic. I really don't think low quality masks and a plastic divider are going to prevent a person who waits on hundreds of people a day from getting the virus and then giving it to me. A lot of cashiers are young, they won't even know they have it. Automation is the smart choice for the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2020, 04:53 PM

2,096 posts, read 555,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Good I am all for automation. Instead of just handing out helicopter money and having people sit at home this was the perfect opportunity for retraining people into new fields. There still will be demand for jobs just not the entry level unskilled ones. During the next year or two where we may be dealing with the pandemic we should be training people for free for higher skilled jobs.

And I like the self checkouts, especially during a pandemic. I really don't think low quality masks and a plastic divider are going to prevent a person who waits on hundreds of people a day from getting the virus and then giving it to me. A lot of cashiers are young, they won't even know they have it. Automation is the smart choice for the future.
Nominated for the maximum amount of self-canceling irony that can be fitted into two paragraphs.

Old 06-19-2020, 07:58 PM

2,758 posts, read 1,187,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Yes, and feel the fabric for quality. Many fabrics are so shoddily made, they are see-through.
Right. See through and rip easy

And some of the fabric is very itchy

Old 06-19-2020, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
I'm not sure what the difficulty of buying clothes online has to do with Walmart going to SCO.

(Written as someone who just had a whole subthread deleted for similar drift...)
People are wanting online shopping to win out. This is one difficulty of online shopping.

Old 06-19-2020, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post

Instead, the virus will be spread all over the self checkout for you to catch it that way instead.

Old 06-19-2020, 08:11 PM

8,868 posts, read 2,460,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
Instead, the virus will be spread all over the self checkout for you to catch it that way instead.
No.

Don't touch your face. Use hand sanitizer after. No one is breathing on you.

Nice try!

Old 06-19-2020, 08:39 PM

1,819 posts, read 884,285 times
This is fantastic. This just makes my decision to quit shopping at Walmart even easier.

Old 06-19-2020, 10:24 PM
DKM

4,085 posts, read 1,495,530 times
How many cashiers do you need for home delivery and curbside pickup?

Old 06-20-2020, 05:01 AM

5,791 posts, read 2,551,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
It's a very, very carefully crafted experience. There's more to it that putting milk and eggs in the back. And besides being mostly pleasant things, we've been conditioned to think of it all as a desirable experience.

But I generally agree — with this, and in that grocery shopping is a long ways from dead. Perhaps some larger number will come out of this having discovered that delivery suits them well; I suspect it will be much the same crowd that shops the premium stores because their purchases are relatively small and definable and the cost of gourmet mac and cheese doesn't break the bank for one or two people.

Oddly, though, I sometimes get hit with an overwhelming sense of depression in a grocery store, and there's no one factor that seems to account for it — not store, weather, time of day, size of crowd, anything. I just get about halfway through and get this terribly funereal vibe.
I go to a family-owned grocery store, but obviously I can’t get everything I want there. Some items are very reasonably priced there and other items are more expensive. At the beginning of the pandemic, they were still able to get most products in while other stores were out, but they had to discontinue their weekly sales for about a month. Now they are back and they regularly have sales on staples like organic milk, eggs, etc. I have not tried the curbside pickup, but they do offer it.

Old 06-20-2020, 05:36 AM

251 posts, read 56,908 times
sorry to hear that,does it come with age?
I feel a sense of obligation,and a need to accomplish when I walk into a supermarket armed with a list and coupons,but I see more and more processed food,ready to eat food,with chemicals and too much spice,they have to make it more palatable by adding exotic ingredients and I do feel kind of depressed that some day we will lose touch with nature,we dont walk,we drive to carryout window and we work from home,conducting virtual meeting,we describe our symptoms to the doctor and he prescribes what we want him to prescribe.
Do man and woman go on a date anymore?
Do we cook from scratch,even Blue Apron looks like a lot of work,you have to unpack,and read the instructions?why not call Domino Pizza?
I know a family with 4 daughters,both parents work so they always order pizza every evening,if they dont,pizza house will call them and ask why?
All 4 daughters grow up,marry and do not know how to prepare a meal,not exactly good for their marriage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or