Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2020, 04:39 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,439,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post
This begs the question, what are people in such an all-fired hurry for all the time?

In all my years shopping at WM I've never encountered a nasty cashier. Maybe one who didn't say hello and was extra quiet, but I still smile and say thank you. I appreciate to no end their help bagging everything up because a whole cart full of groceries can be quite a job for an elderly lady to do by herself.

Today a nice younger chap checked me out and he was very astute, noticing that I reached over and put my Rx bag in one of his bags. He asked if I paid for that 'down there' which is the pharmacy. One never gets a drug or a pharmacy bag which are different without paying for the item or if it's $0 because of insurance they even give you a $0 receipt...so I flashed that in front of him and answered oh yes. So he was looking out for his employer.

A Clerk in charge of the whole self-checkout cluster once told me the shoplifting in that section is awful. She would know. I will use the self-checkout if I have a small order and not more than 1 or 2 things I have to look up. Most of our spots are not set up for big orders. I can't get a big order on the weigh station after scanning. I've never been stopped at the door except for once I had something in the bottom without a bag because it was too big and he checked the receipt. I don't mind that.

I hate online shopping. Go to an online shopping site and look around for something to buy for a gift... where does one start? Online to buy meat or produce or bakery items, never going to do that. Shoes, they all fit differently.

Self-checkout cashier once told me: if everybody refused to use these checkouts they would bring back the clerks. Only once have I had one too slow, and once I had one too fast, she must have been on speed or something. I couldn't get the bags loaded and get my card put away before she had half the next person's items bagged, kinda mixed with mine. Most of them work at a steady pace. I know they're not easy jobs. Am I the only one who says thank you?
I still buy groceries, clothing, and footwear at brick and mortar stores. I buy certain things online because the selection isn't there otherwise. As a bonus, if it's a gift for family, I can just ship it directly to them, rather than having to take up valuable luggage space (not to mention adding to the weight) since I have to fly to visit them.

I mentioned upthread that at Walmart, the self checkouts can save me at least 10 minutes vs. lining up for a cashier. I could check some text messages, or play some games, but there's only so much of that I could do. Also, with COVID-19, I'd rather be out sooner than later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2020, 06:05 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,081,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22003yo View Post
I usually compare prices and find Walmart to be the cheapest on most things, especially when compared to Amazon. The only one who comes close when it comes to food prices is Aldi/Lidl.

Example here is my most recent purchase,

https://www.amazon.com/Zeiss-Box-Len...dp/B00L3C93N4/ - $15 for 60 wipes

https://www.walmart.com/ip/ZEISS-Len...Pack/125911673 - $11.25 for 225 wipes
Your first item wasn’t sold by Amazon, just fulfilled through them. No different than the 3rd party sellers you see on Walmart’s web store.

What I find mind boggling about Walmart these days is that they won’t price match like they used to, and in-store won’t even match their own online price - yet if you buy it online to pickup you can get the lower price.

Old 06-22-2020, 08:09 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,041,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Three words: Universal Basic Income ($1,000 a month) for all citizens making less then $75,000 a year or $100,000 a year in higher COL areas like the Tri-State area or San Francisco Bay area.

One word: No.

Old 06-22-2020, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I will not use self check-outs. If I'm giving you my money I expect at least a modicum of interaction with a live person.

How do you refuel your car?

Old 06-22-2020, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
They stood up to Amazon by purchasing Jet Blue. Wal-Mart's website was horrendous before the purchase. I'd argue Wal-Mart's site is as good as Amazon's now. I use the Wal-Mart website to search in-store availability. I purchase so little when I visit Wal-Mart that I haven't felt grocery pick-up suits me just yet.

They are shutting down Jet, which they purchased a few years ago for over $3 Billion. That's not success.

Old 06-22-2020, 08:22 AM

5,896 posts, read 4,382,887 times
Chiluvr, you’re really going to hate paying the banks and insurance companies~

They take my money without a hint of interaction.

Old 06-22-2020, 08:47 AM

134 posts, read 96,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
Our daughter worked at Walmart for a while and if you had to work there for any length of time, you might become rude and certainly miserable.
Three main issues (and it's not the pay):
Hours, they jerk around your hours from day to day. There is no way one can plan a family like or a second job if needed. The local store does not set your hours but it is done out of corporate. It is done to handle the rush, sort of like JIT in human form.
You are treated by corporate and most cases upper management, not like a valued team member but like an object.
Store Management, not sure if their managers are that terrible, or they have zero control over their store. Could be a combination of both as the managers might have been good to start with but just gave up and have thrown in the towel.

You are spot on with this! I worked for walmart myself. I actually witnessed a customer scream and yell at a cashier so BAD that she was crying! He was in the wrong! He called her all sorts of names and using profanity for a transaction that was not allowed! What did walmart do? They rewarded him with a sorry and a $25.00 gift card! For the cashier, they just just told her not to worry about it and continue on ringing up people! Ya, they have our backs alright!

Old 06-22-2020, 11:07 AM

3,346 posts, read 2,158,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
ps: would you please just not respond to my posts not directed to you?
Anything to avoid further digression posts. Thanks.
Sorry you seem to think this is a private conversation. PS: it's not.

Old 06-22-2020, 12:11 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,619,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
People have to retrain when their job is eliminated. There is little point in trying to stop the spread of more efficient technology.

What you are failing to understand is that there are no new human jobs on the scale needed. It takes far fewer humans to service computers and robots. You just need fewer people IN ALL SECTORS to do the labor. Are we all going to do each others laundry? cook each other's meals? Clean each other's houses? Unclog each other's drains? What are these new human jobs that people will migrate too? Maybe we can all sell cheap chinese trinkets on ebay?

And if you notice the white collar jobs are also being automated. Those that cant be automated, they get people from India or someplace on temporary permanent visas since they work cheaper and have fewer worker rights.

Old 06-22-2020, 12:33 PM

15,189 posts, read 8,768,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
How do you refuel your car?
I just sit in my car and hand the guy my card, and ask him to fill it up with regular. I don't even have to get out of my car. If only checking out at Walmart could be so easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics