Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2020, 07:44 AM

4,828 posts, read 4,284,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
someone posted WMT bought Jet blue,No,it bought Jet,com
I just found out they wrote off Jet,com,they paid billions,
That is my fault. I did mean Jet.com. Wal-Mart bought the company to gain access to all the software and employee expertise. It's not unusual to fold a purchase after you have stripped it of the content you want or need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2020, 03:36 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,480,995 times
This may be true with Google buying Motorola,but this is not the case here.
WMT bought Jet.com ,hoping to compete with AMZN.
Then it realised,it is not working,few people have heard of Jet.com but almost everyone has heard of Walmart.
Also website is nothing to write home about.,

Old 06-26-2020, 03:39 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,480,995 times
AMZN has stores where you walk in with your cell phone ,scan it with your phone and just walked out,your phone does the check out for you,but these are convenience stores,no raw meat and fresh produce

Old 06-26-2020, 04:48 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
With close to 5,000 stores, this would be an enormous quantity of jobs lost.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddri...K4f?li=BBnb7Kz
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I truthfully see no problem with the idea. I think, if we really consider what has been happening over the years, the printing is on the wall. Sooner or later this will happen in retail period.
I don't see an issue either. The people who used to be cashiers will simply get allocated to new job functions in the store. Someone here, or the article mentions that WM has been looking for excuses to go cashier-less. COVID-19 is just that excuse.
These jobs were never really anything good nor long term anyways. For the people who do them long term, Walmart will certainly not offer anything above MW, or maybe only _slightly_ above MW. They should try to work at Costco where they pay $16/hr. For high schoolers and otherwise young adults, it's not really worth it to them either. Many of them live at home with their parents where they can easily afford to quit whenever they'd like. I myself was doing "grunt work", and had an opportunity to spend with family abroad. Parents told me to see if I could get time off for a month or 2. If not, then just quit. The job pays MW so it's too little to really value, and the opportunity cost of missing out on travel wasn't worth it.
In recent times, some in hs and college don't even bother with these types of jobs. They either get an internship that contributes directly to future career experience, or the time lost is simply not worth it compared to devoting their times to their studies and extracurricular activities.
Last but not least, this sort of change has been occurring throughout history. If you go back far enough, stores used to operate like so... you walk in, go to the counter, tell the clerk what you'd like, he'd go to the back of the store, and come out with the products you wanted. You paid the money, and left. At some point, they changed the layout of stores where the customer walks around and picks up the stuff they wanted, and brings it to a cashier. The 2 good things about this new model was (1) customer knows ahead of time how much things cost, and (2) this frees up labor that the store can reallocate to other tasks. The stores had to convince men that pushing around a shopping cart was still manly, while women had to be convinced that pushing around a shopping cart was just as easy a pushing around a baby carriage. I'm sure some may have complained about this change, but it has stuck.

Old 06-26-2020, 04:57 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,654,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
The aging industry will generate a good number of those kinds of unskilled jobs as the boomers try to figure out how to stay out of the nursing home as long as possible. For someone with only moderate physical or mental decline, it's far more cost effective and healthier to pay someone to come in and help for 10-15 hours a week than it is to move to 'the home' too early when they're being billed for a lot of stuff they don't need yet.

LOL... let em wipe butts? Really? Thats worse than "let em eat cake" that started French Revolution. And that was not pretty end for the elites that could care less. I see now why they dont teach real history anymore. Dont want to give anybody any ideas.

And what happens when Boomers die off and all those fancy high paying butt wiping jobs disappear? By that time sure AI will be up to taking over the CEO jobs. Hal 2000 for president!

Old 06-26-2020, 10:11 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post

These jobs were never really anything good nor long term anyways. For the people who do them long term, Walmart will certainly not offer anything above MW, or maybe only _slightly_ above MW. .
That is what the industry and other low/no skill jobs pay. So those w/o WM jobs will likely make no more at their next McJob.

https://www.usawage.com/usa/cashiers-salary.php

Old 06-26-2020, 10:26 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
LOL... let em wipe butts? Really? Thats worse than "let em eat cake" that started French Revolution. And that was not pretty end for the elites that could care less. I see now why they dont teach real history anymore. Dont want to give anybody any ideas.
I’ve been management for personal care providers in the aging industry and have a world of respect for the people who do those jobs. It’s necessary work and it’s hard to find people with the right personality for the job (extreme levels of compassion) willing to work for the wages most of them get.

Old 06-27-2020, 01:41 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
That is what the industry and other low/no skill jobs pay. So those w/o WM jobs will likely make no more at their next McJob.

https://www.usawage.com/usa/cashiers-salary.php
Well, it's the same issue with those jobs as well. They are treated as "disposable", by both the employer, and the employee

Old 06-27-2020, 06:54 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
Well, it's the same issue with those jobs as well. They are treated as "disposable", by both the employer, and the employee
IMO customer service jobs should never be considered "disposable". They can make or break a business.

Old 06-27-2020, 07:38 PM

20,106 posts, read 9,018,880 times
surprised they haven't done this years ago... like any business, the fewer employees you need to hire the better. Happily for many, it will eliminate law wage jobs so it will free up their current employees who feel they don't make enough to find better paying jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics