Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2020, 04:09 PM

8,234 posts, read 3,492,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
^^This^^ When I try buying clothing online I usually wind up having to return about 75% of it because it doesn't fit. There are no universal sizes. I have tops at home that run the gamut from small to extra large. Plus I'm petite and many stores only sell petites and talls online.

And good luck trying on bathing suits online. I once tried on about 25 bathing suits in a store in order to be able to find one I liked that looked good on me. Plus sometimes it's nice to get out of the house and shop. Are we going to become so completely cut off from other people that we never leave our homes anymore?
This would be a dream for the powers that be where the populace is cut off from social support.

The most successful abusers eliminate most of their victims' contact with potential allies. It helps ensure total control over the person. Create a world where those in powers have the regular folks locked in isolation from everyone or nearly everyone and you can do whatever to those people without much interference if any.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2020, 04:33 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,862,705 times
I know people have issues both philosophically and economically with UBI, but it, or a plan that serves a similar role, is going to be increasingly necessary. It'd behoove state and federal governments to start getting out ahead on that planning and implementation now rather than waiting for a crisis point. This level of automation is only the first snowflakes of the blizzard to come over the next decade or two. Sure, that will create some jobs - like, people need to service automated delivery drones - but they'll be specialized jobs, which locks out people with less education or certain other challenges, and there won't be as many of them. Our current welfare and unemployment systems are not equipped to handle the level of under-employment, unemployment, and employment instability a large percentage of people will be facing - I think Covid-19 has illustrated that pretty vividly.

Old 06-20-2020, 07:47 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
OMG, the Walmart cashiers I see do not speed things up. They are always moving in super slow motion. I just stand there with items in my hand waiting for space to put them on the conveyor belt, and waiting and waiting for it to move even one inch. And the customer in front of me is not the problem. By that time, they are already out the front door and loading their stuff in their car. And I'm still staring at the conveyor belt, hoping it will start moving so I can finish putting my items on it.

But hey I get it, when an employee is paid slave wages and treated like crap, they are not going to work fast. And the slow pace of the cashiers is okay with Walmart too. Because they are hoping you will get tired of the slow checkout and go use the self checkout instead.
When I was a cashier at K-Mart, this was me. When you're working for MW, without any bonuses, there was no incentive to work faster. I was there for an 8 hour shift. Scanning quicker wasn't going to make the hours go by quicker. Mind you, I didn't go in super slow motion either. I went at a normal rate. On the plus side, hearing some customers complained actually made my day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindraker View Post
I used to be really leery of self-check out. But once I started doing it, I fell in love with it.

I don't have to "small talk" some cashier or fellow customer about the weather or their problems. I can check out at my own pace. I don't put the milk on top of my eggs. I don't put the ice cream next to my bananas. I don't put the bricks on top of my lightbulbs.
The only place I can self checkout is at Walmart. The supermarkets don't have such an option. If given a choice, I prefer to have a cashier. However, at Walmart, the people who fill up the cashier lanes often have a shopping cart full of products. Contrast that to the self checkout, there may be 1 to 3 more people lined up for that, but the average product count is roughly one full basket. Many have no more than enough items they can physically hold with 2 hands. As such, I've saved at least 10 minutes via SCO. It helps they have 4 to 5 stations going at once. For ****s and giggles, I've turned back to some of the cashier lines, and one maybe two people have gone through.

Old 06-20-2020, 07:59 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
I worked at four different Walmarts. The customers were usually okay. There were some bad ones. I never had a customer complain against me. I kept getting fired because I got sick so much. The managers were mostly awful and abusive. At one I kept straightening up the underwear and the customers would come along and mess it up again. The manager kept cussing me out in front of the customers telling me how lazy and such I was for not keeping the underwear straight. It was during Christmas shopping time frame and the underwear was popular. I sometimes broke down crying afterwards and the customers would be hugging on me trying to cheer me up after the manager would leave. It was humiliating. If it weren't for the management and my getting sick much of the time it would've been a great job to me.
Ahh. These types of bosses are still common. I heard one story where a high school girl worked the concession stand with a manager. Nobody else showed up, so it was just the 2 of them. She worked a full day's shift, into 9pm, so she figured she'd throw a chicken onto the fryer while sweeping, to keep productive. Manager comes in and says she's not allowed to eat company food. Manager couldn't seem to acknowledge that she got no break the entire day, hasn't eaten anything since noon, and instead, just calls her lazy.

Old 06-20-2020, 08:48 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,480,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
A news article from yesterday.

Walmart and Shopify to merge, to fight Amazon.

link. https://www.mymcmurray.com/2020/06/15/shopify-inks-partnership-with-walmart-as-it-prepares-to-battle-amazon-com/

Guess what that means ? A shift to a online business model by Walmart, with Shopify as the fulfilment and delivery supplier.
This is not what I read,it is the other way around,adding 1200 carefully chosen small merchants whose customer service and merchandise complement WMT.COM,like Bozos once said when he started AMZN marketplace,no one has everything.
There are third party sellers on WMT.COM now,they have the options of mailing the item themselves to the WMT buyer or if thebuyer prefers to pick up at WMT store,the third party will be given UPS label to ship the item to the designated WMT store.
Now this is a feature AMZN does not have,you cannot pickup at any AMZN physiocal store,yOu can return items at Kohl BUT no pickup.
Wonder what WMT will do with Jet.com,it spent a lot of money buying that outfit

Old 06-20-2020, 08:58 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,170,085 times
This begs the question, what are people in such an all-fired hurry for all the time?

In all my years shopping at WM I've never encountered a nasty cashier. Maybe one who didn't say hello and was extra quiet, but I still smile and say thank you. I appreciate to no end their help bagging everything up because a whole cart full of groceries can be quite a job for an elderly lady to do by herself.

Today a nice younger chap checked me out and he was very astute, noticing that I reached over and put my Rx bag in one of his bags. He asked if I paid for that 'down there' which is the pharmacy. One never gets a drug or a pharmacy bag which are different without paying for the item or if it's $0 because of insurance they even give you a $0 receipt...so I flashed that in front of him and answered oh yes. So he was looking out for his employer.

A Clerk in charge of the whole self-checkout cluster once told me the shoplifting in that section is awful. She would know. I will use the self-checkout if I have a small order and not more than 1 or 2 things I have to look up. Most of our spots are not set up for big orders. I can't get a big order on the weigh station after scanning. I've never been stopped at the door except for once I had something in the bottom without a bag because it was too big and he checked the receipt. I don't mind that.

I hate online shopping. Go to an online shopping site and look around for something to buy for a gift... where does one start? Online to buy meat or produce or bakery items, never going to do that. Shoes, they all fit differently.

Self-checkout cashier once told me: if everybody refused to use these checkouts they would bring back the clerks. Only once have I had one too slow, and once I had one too fast, she must have been on speed or something. I couldn't get the bags loaded and get my card put away before she had half the next person's items bagged, kinda mixed with mine. Most of them work at a steady pace. I know they're not easy jobs. Am I the only one who says thank you?

Old 06-20-2020, 09:06 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
You cannot try on clothes and shoes when shopping online. You used to be able to when shopping in a store.
Actually, you can with Amazon Wardrobe. Google it.

Old 06-20-2020, 09:09 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,258,290 times
They can eliminate every one of them as far as I’m concerned. I’d much prefer checking myself out as opposed to dealing with the surly, uninterested, and unmotivated people at my local Walmart.

Old 06-20-2020, 09:27 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
They can eliminate every one of them as far as I’m concerned. I’d much prefer checking myself out as opposed to dealing with the surly, uninterested, and unmotivated people at my local Walmart.
I never patronize stores w/o self checkout. I always get out faster with stuff packed better, when I do it myself.

Old 06-20-2020, 09:29 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Probably, zero. But you do need a lot more pickers, packers and drivers. Which would increase the workforce considerably. I doubt that Walmart is willing to employ that many people. Which is why I don't think Walmart will ever be able to transition to e-commerce.
Actually you don't. Most picking and packing in America is done by robots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox05Bks2Q3s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics