Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2020, 12:59 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,795,980 times

Advertisements

I actually think universal health care would go further toward stimulating new small business - I actually have a small business, but I have to keep my regular job as well for the benefits, which prevents me from going all-in with my own business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2020, 01:12 PM

6,587 posts, read 5,832,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
I actually think universal health care would go further toward stimulating new small business - I actually have a small business, but I have to keep my regular job as well for the benefits, which prevents me from going all-in with my own business.
This was the argument in favor of ObamaCare. They claimed it would put U.S. businesses more on an equal footing with foreign competitors.

That does make sense, but on the flip side of the coin, it costs the public an extra trillion or two per year though this number was suppressed by the program's cheerleaders. Someone has to pay all that, and in fact ObamaCare didn't stipulate that everyone gets free health care; it just forced smaller businesses to cover their employees whereas before they didn't; and it provided the exchanges for those not employed.

But given that millions of small businesses have been able to do well and provide health plans eventually suggests that your case is not the norm.

Old 06-22-2020, 01:57 PM

3,184 posts, read 2,444,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
So in other words, those like myself who worked hard for 9-10 years to pay off our grad school loans are not owed a refund because we're hard working and independent.

Whereas, those who were irresponsible and lazy get bailed out, just because.

Sorry, that's just not going to fly, no matter how you rationalize it and wrap it up in fancy language "reparations" or whatever.
Thank-you for responding to that ridiculous post. You said it more briefly and better than I could. No one was forced to get an advanced degree in Women's Studies or other frivolous fields.

Old 06-22-2020, 02:01 PM

3,184 posts, read 2,444,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
Look under "Freedom of Choice / Simulations Thereof."

List all the realistic "choices" a bright 18yo has regarding his/her future. You might look up Thomas Hobson, while you're at it.
I was a poor, but bright, 18 year old female back in the late 1960s. We didn’t have the myriad choices that today’s women have. Perhaps, I and others should ge5 reparations, also.

Old 06-22-2020, 04:06 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,159,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
I was a poor, but bright, 18 year old female back in the late 1960s. We didn’t have the myriad choices that today’s women have. Perhaps, I and others should ge5 reparations, also.
Yes, Virginia, it is possible to carry all econ discussions to Absurdia.

Massive student debt is the current problem. I guess we can just keep ignoring it until it goes away.

Old 06-22-2020, 04:18 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,784,278 times
So if we're going to give away a bunch of money to certain people to "boost" the economy, why are we choosing it's going to students who borrowed a lot of money for an expensive college degree? And be honest, many blew a lot of that debt on partying/cars and vacations too, especially if they were going to cheaper state schools but qualified for more loans. No thanks

Old 06-22-2020, 04:23 PM

61,290 posts, read 87,087,136 times
So the theory here is that somebody that owes $50,000 for a worthless degree should Borrow to buy a house and borrow money to start a business?
Sounds good all we need is a pudding head banker

Old 06-22-2020, 05:06 PM

3,865 posts, read 6,772,219 times
What about those who paid theirs already? Do I get a refund? I paid mine off 20 years early!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Purlin View Post
That's right.

And what's next? Are the US taxpayers on the hook for all the money bet on Pioneer of the Nile in the 2009 Kentucky Derby?
Sad to say but this is a great analogy especially because tuitions aren't equal. At least your bet for Pioneer of the Nile was able to provide you with your expected odds. Schools can't even offer that sort of transparency. Many of them take your money for worthless degrees so it's no surprise that people get upset at their own debt, brought on by their own stupid mistake.

Old 06-22-2020, 05:32 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,159,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Many of them take your money for worthless degrees so it's no surprise that people get upset at their own debt, brought on by their own stupid mistake.
Which stupid mistake... choosing a worthless U thought highly of because of its sports program?

(Oh, I'm sure the answer involves some form of Basketweaving or Canine Studies or whatever, but not all Biz and STEM degrees are exactly equal, either.)

Old 06-22-2020, 06:17 PM

2,733 posts, read 1,750,166 times
I guess to some the answer is 18 - 24 year olds should not have been expected to make rational decisions for themselves when they took out these loans. "Society" brow beat them into taking on massive debt for 4 or more years of college.

To correct this, "society" should relieve them of the obligation as they clearly had no idea what they were doing. At the same time, "society" should acknowledge that 18 - 24 year olds are not capable of making these types of grown up decisions. Therefore, they should not be allowed in the military, they should not be allowed to vote, they should not be allowed to enter into legally binding contracts, etc. etc. etc.

Maybe when they reach the wisened old age of 25 they'll be able to do all of these grown up things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics