U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2020, 05:50 PM

4,578 posts, read 3,930,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
LOL I've worked full time for community colleges for 9 years as an instructor and administrator. I'll gladly open the books I have access to if you think you can do better.
Although it's all public information anyway.

Members of the general public who want to cut our budget often think they have some magic accounting that we haven't tried yet. The CFO at my college came directly from the business world. We've tried everything. Cut the budget and you cut instruction or services by reducing the staff. It's that simple.

They also think we have no sense of financial propriety and spend profligately for the sake of it which is also false. There are no billion dollar football stadiums here.

Instruction and instructional support is 50% of our budget. 30% more is student services, mostly personnel. About 20% is evrything else like administration and physical plant maintenance, which is cheaper than most of the public thinks it is. Seriously, the guy who makes $12 an hour to mow the lawns is not breaking the budget.

I am not as good an instructor as my university counterparts. They actively contribute to the field. I don't; it is not part of my job to. I teach more classes.
I was talking about universities, not CC's.

And there are plenty of excellent instructors at CC's who don't "contribute to the field". You don't have to be a researcher to be a great teacher (quite often they don't go hand in hand).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:29 AM

971 posts, read 269,638 times
College and chosen career are voluntary. Signing a contract is voluntary. So why should the rest of society voluntarily forgive those who made financial decisions they don't want to live with.

Old Yesterday, 10:09 AM

6,425 posts, read 4,351,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
I was talking about universities, not CC's.

And there are plenty of excellent instructors at CC's who don't "contribute to the field". You don't have to be a researcher to be a great teacher (quite often they don't go hand in hand).
That is their job.

There are great elementary, middle school, and high school teachers too. Being a good teacher is about communication, charisma, and empathy, often inherent skills. At teaching focused institutions I would expect them to develop a faculty with those attributes.

What they share is that they don't advance their disciplines, while university professors do.

Old Today, 06:27 AM

100 posts, read 26,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
College and chosen career are voluntary. Signing a contract is voluntary. So why should the rest of society voluntarily forgive those who made financial decisions they don't want to live with.
We can say the same about the current mortgage forbearance and eviction moratoriums. Why prop up a grossly over-inflated housing market that is benefiting people who over bought and over-invested? Because we don't want a bunch of people becoming homeless, especially during a pandemic. The real problem is that the real estate market was blown up by the terrible lending practices, credit expansion, and the Fed's propping it up. Basically, f you want a place to live in a place that actually has a decent local economy and jobs, you are going to have to pay for the over valued real estate. None of this was caused by the average investor, home buyer, or renter but they are the ones suffering for it.

Same goes for higher education. Even community colleges and skills/trades programs that will lead to licensing are $$$ now. And, it is all generations right now. Even baby boomers have a high amount of student loan debt- actually some of the highest. You can forgo education/training and stay poor or you can pay tons of money for it and still stay poor. Again, this wasn't a problem that was created the middle class but they sure are the ones getting ripped off by it.

Old Today, 08:24 AM

1,383 posts, read 334,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
What was the State College price per credit hour THEN and what was the minimum wage THERE?
$192.50 tuition my last semester in 1972. I made $1.85 an hour lifeguarding at the University sports complex. Lived in a $135 a month apartment. Got $150 a month from home to eat.

Tuition now's about $4000 per semester in state. Some state schools' out of state tuition is getting up there with private colleges. The majority of University of Alabama students are from out of state, for example.

I checked the other day, and Duke tuition is about $77K per year plus food plus housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or