U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2020, 09:15 AM

324 posts, read 82,090 times

Advertisements

Does anyone remember the days when we would push our grocery carts up to a lane at the cash register and the cashier would take the item from the cart, scan or punch in the item number, then bag the groceries for you? I would love to see that option available again. When I'm in a rush and I have a small amount of items I don't mind self check out. I just prefer having choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2020, 09:36 AM

12,043 posts, read 15,666,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
No, they really don’t. Nobody goes to self checkout with a cart full of groceries - it doesn’t fit. Think about what you’re saying - it makes no sense at all. If you have 5 bags of groceries, they don’t fit on that tiny little shelf. You can’t possibly think that’s an effective system. Do you routinely go to the store for just a single bag of groceries?! I don’t go more than once every 4-6 weeks, it’s going to be a full cart of stuff including the lower area being soda. If you don’t have enough space to PUT those things after ringing them up, it’ll yell at you. Period.
What kinds of stores do some of you guys shop? Like really old out dated places?
Even in the small city I live in there are options. Self check outs that have a conveyor belt, self check outs that have a carousel plus an area or two for overflow, and self checkouts that don't require you to bag the items but let you scan them in your cart with the scan gun. Unless my cart is stuffed to the point of overflowing I do not have any problems going through self checkout with a full cart, and frankly the only reason I'll go through regular checkout with a huge cart is because I want the help to bag it all.
A typical cart for us includes a 48ct bottled water and three 6-packs of water to take to work, a 5 or 10 lb bag of potatoes, and a lot of produce that has to be weighed, plus the occasional 38 lb kitty litter and one of those huge bags of cat food.

@Therblig- my daughter and I frequently shop together, two transactions out of a single cart. I promise you that we can be in and out of the checkout with an entire cart in the same or less time than anyone else, especially if that anyone else is someone using self checkout without a clue. All it takes is a familiarity with the system.

Last edited by DubbleT; 06-25-2020 at 09:44 AM..

Old 06-25-2020, 09:42 AM

9,702 posts, read 7,327,495 times
I don't care for them for more than a few items, myself. It's not utilizing the payment or even scanning things, really, it's when it gets confused, or when one wants to buy something that requires an ID, and you wait, for the attendant to identify you, and then also for someone to check the receipt when you leave.

Old 06-25-2020, 10:20 AM

1,803 posts, read 1,163,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
Does anyone remember the days when we would push our grocery carts up to a lane at the cash register and the cashier would take the item from the cart, scan or punch in the item number, then bag the groceries for you? I would love to see that option available again. When I'm in a rush and I have a small amount of items I don't mind self check out. I just prefer having choices.
A few chains here do that ... Trader Joe's, Kowalski's (Twin Cities chain), Byerly's (another Twin Cities chain). Kowalski's will also walk your bagged groceries in a cart to your car in the lot if you are not just taking the bags (you cannot take the cart by yourself - if a cart is needed, they walk it out and put it into the car for you).

I miss the drive-thru lane when purchasing in store, going through the check out and the baggers put your items into bins that go to the drive thru pick up area. That used to be common - perhaps standard - with Hy Vee, Byerly's, perhaps Cashwise. With curbside pickup during COVID, I wonder if chains will re-consider that for in-store shoppers.

Old 06-26-2020, 02:13 AM

6,103 posts, read 3,350,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
Sigh. Again with the idea that it's up to customers to adapt to a pointlessly clumsy system created for a few items and now being forced on major shoppers.
It can be a little clumsy sometimes, I just don't let it bother me. It is evolving. I find it constantly getting easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
If Self Checkouts are so great, how come the lines at the cashiers seem to get longer and longer while the self checkout machine stay idle?
Not in my area! Cashiers seem to always be out there fishing for Customers. There could be ten people in line for self check out and no one in line for the Cashiers!

Old 06-26-2020, 06:17 PM

23,495 posts, read 16,165,289 times
Love me some self-checkout! *LOL*

Stopped into Home Depot yesterday; went in, grabbed what I wanted, paid using self-checkout easy as 1-2-3. Done and dusted in < twenty minutes.

It's how my dad always shopped, and truly believe if self checkout was possible then he would have used it. Though couldn't really call what dad did "shopping", more like mission accomplished.

Older I get find don't have time to stand in long checkout lines while someone at counter has to ask "how much is this?" for every item. Then go on to debate why this or that isn't on sale. Then when it comes time to pay (finally) they have to root through their purse or wallet to find CC, decide which one to use....

You also have the ones who act as if they've been let out of prison or something; they get up to the register and start talking, talking, talking....

Then there are the ones who insist on paying with cash and coins. Holding up line even longer as they hunt about for dimes,nickles and pennies (wait, how much is it, I have a penny...), so they can make exact change or get a whole nickle or quarter back instead of mix of coins.... Life is just too short for that nonsense.

Old 07-02-2020, 10:40 AM

6,438 posts, read 4,351,078 times
Self check works quite well for 20 or fewer items in one order. It's bad for big orders; there is not even the space to bag large orders.

Old 07-02-2020, 09:57 PM

23,495 posts, read 16,165,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
If Self Checkouts are so great, how come the lines at the cashiers seem to get longer and longer while the self checkout machine stay idle?
Oh and by the way, many high school students are extremely intelligent, when store hire them, they normally get the cream of the crop!
Those paying cash cannot use self-checkout in some stores.

Those buying items that require ID, cannot use self-checkout.

People with issues or problems like returns, rain checks.

Those paying by EBT or other welfare programs often don't like how some self-checkout machines annouce "please insert your EBT card...".

Old Yesterday, 10:42 AM

13,072 posts, read 3,776,088 times
if it's bothersome enough most grocery store chains will shop for you. You don't even have to get out of your vehicle.

Old Yesterday, 04:05 PM

10,441 posts, read 9,062,461 times
I use SCO only if I have a few (10 or fewer) items. Otherwise, I want a cashier and a bagger especially for groceries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics