Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2021, 12:32 PM

50,860 posts, read 36,563,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Maybe they've recently upgraded self-checkouts but I gave up on them because of major pains with:
Weighing out produce and in general, getting electronically chided about not bagging properly. You HAD to put something in a bag after scanning because it was being weighed to confirm you weren't somehow cheating. Stuff that you just don't bag STILL had to be put into something or you couldn't progress.

Ya know, if grocery stores have systems that are not user-friendly and EASY to use then they can TRAIN me to use it! Or maybe you can come over and help me out?

And by g@d I will NOT wait in line to scan my own stuff and that's basically how Walmart is set up - another reason (among many) to not shop there. Aldis is fast and easy - and they scan for you and you bag it.
I do agree Aldi has it down to a science. I like too that they have one central line and you get called to the next open cashier. So you don't have to choose the "wrong" line and watch the other lines go by you, lol. There have been times the line was long there and I thought "Ugh, do I want to wait?" when I saw it, but it moved really fast.

I have to say Walmart and ShopRite scanners are not that persnickety anymore in the stores near me. And I admit I like using the scanning gun, lol. I prefer a manned line though in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2021, 05:06 PM

10,503 posts, read 7,054,125 times
I won't do it. It's slower and more work for me, it essentially puts someone out of work, and it takes payroll taxes away from my community.

Old 10-04-2021, 07:23 AM

9,872 posts, read 7,753,976 times
I've used all sorts of SCO's at various stores, haven't really used any that irritated me. Sometimes I do have a full cart. It's not really a big deal.

Yes, you have to bag your item or sit it on the shelf after scanning so it can confirm the weight.

As you continue scanning, you can move those bagged groceries back into your cart. You don't have to keep them all on the little shelf until you're done. I just put them in a separate area in the cart so I don't miss anything.

Old 10-04-2021, 07:52 AM

9,182 posts, read 6,216,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I won't do it. It's slower and more work for me, it essentially puts someone out of work, and it takes payroll taxes away from my community.
I agree and I will wait for a checkout line with a real person. It may not mean much, but it is my small contribution to providing employment to local people. I wish other people would do the same.

Old 10-04-2021, 09:01 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,946,405 times
I've got self-checkout down to a fine art at the local supermarket. Bring up the app, scan my shopper code, then beep the items through.

Sometimes, it won't take a coupon or BOGO deal, so I have to hit the Help button. Employee comes over, enters a password, then discounts the item, no questions asked. Not worth their time to "investigate".

I much prefer this process to the very slow human checkout lines.

That said, my favorite supermarket is an extra 9 or 10 minutes away, and has no self-checkout. But they have a lot more workers, every checkout lane is manned, and the lines move fast. And their prices are much better.

Old 10-04-2021, 09:10 AM

3,159 posts, read 2,736,955 times
SCO is a godsend. The last time I used a cashier at a grocery store the cashier tried to order me around about how I set my groceries on the counter (conveyor belt actually). Screw these overpaid union protected deadweight. Put her ass in the backroom breaking down cardboard boxes so she can actually be useful.

ATM's have been in service at banks forever. I'm shocked that retail stores have taken this long to adopt SCO.

Old 10-04-2021, 10:13 AM

1,095 posts, read 885,054 times
I like the ones where you can put the bag back in the cart once it is full.

I don't like the ones where you can't reach the bag holder if you are in a wheelchair.

And the real "fun" is finding where they put the scandroids on some of the products:

- One product had a paper flap to fold back to reveal the scandroid.

- A towel had the scandroid on a tag that was folded into the towel. You had to unwrap it to scan it.

- One product disguises the scandroid as an electric mixer.

- The scanner could not read one scandroid on a colored background.

Old 10-04-2021, 11:01 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,046,790 times
I've gotten use to the self-checkout at the grocery store. The funny thing is that the grocery store has to keep a walkaround worker in the area because the scanner will suddenly flip out and declare "unknown item" or it will time out if you're idle for too long.

Old 10-04-2021, 05:25 PM

6,776 posts, read 5,495,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Our self checkout lanes are designated for express shoppers and this post a limit to th E number of items, is that not the case where you live? The self checkout systems work for me in the 15-20 item total limit and I’ve never found the ergonomics to be an issue
Exactly.

Although they are forcing the self checkout issue, the self checkout has a sign clearly stating "for 20 items or less".

There are two belted self checkout near the single stand checkout that are for larger orders.

I work at the store, and, admittedly if I'm doing a major shopping early am, I've more than 20 items.
The "paid and bagged" side IS big enough to hold at least 4 regular paper grocery bags, and I can squeeze in 5.

It's simple, here in NY we no longer use single use plastic bags, so you bring your own, or pay $0.10 per paper bag.

Aldi sells a big recycled plastic bag, about the size of two regular paper bags. They hold a lot.

I have a thick plastic coated canvas bag for canned goods.

I set up my bags, remove item from cart, scan deposit by type in a bag on paid side.

Walmart selfies is easiest..just walk up, start scanning. When totalled it will ask how many bags you bought, I hit zero, pay by any method, while it does that, I load my cart and collect the receipt and leave.

It's not hard.

Though I will admit the stupid slow talking ones you have to enter name rank and serial number before scanning IS a pain in the patootie!

I have no prob using self checkout.

Gee did you complainers complain as loud when gasoline went to self serve decades ago???
Probably not because to start you could save 5-10 cents for pumping yourself.

You complainers are also probably the ones who think checkers and baggers deserve subpar wages, now you know what that "anyone can do it so they don't deserve a paycheck" really means to you.

The complainers are also the same who will complain the loudest when a can of soup goes up a nickel..to cover the cost of "anyone can do it, so they don't deserve to be paid" people to actually put the cans of soup on the shelf from a 30# carton of cans.

See? You can't have it both ways.

So, since it's "so easy anyone can do it" subpar jobs...well now YOU can PROVE ," anyone can do it"...and do it yourself!!!

Karma? What goes round comes round? Well, you got it in spades!

Best

Old 10-05-2021, 01:42 PM

9,182 posts, read 6,216,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
Does anyone remember the days when we would push our grocery carts up to a lane at the cash register and the cashier would take the item from the cart, scan or punch in the item number, then bag the groceries for you? I would love to see that option available again. When I'm in a rush and I have a small amount of items I don't mind self check out. I just prefer having choices.
Still happens at many markets here. Always happens at Fresh Market.

Other markets here always scan and bag groceries. You do have to put them on the conveyor belt however. Publix here always has people bagging the groceries who will take your bagged groceries to your car and do not accept tips!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics