Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2021, 02:15 PM

5,327 posts, read 6,012,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
there's almost always something that needs looking up that I just can't find (when that happens I just don't pay for it..sorry not sorry).
I just returned from the supermarket, without "my" lettuce. I couldn't find a code for it, so I left it with the clerk at the end of the corral. It never occurred to me to steal the product.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2021, 08:02 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
I just returned from the supermarket, without "my" lettuce. I couldn't find a code for it, so I left it with the clerk at the end of the corral. It never occurred to me to steal the product.
Next time it will . And mine was lettuce too. Consider it pay for doing someone elses job.

Old 10-07-2021, 08:22 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
On a recent visit to CVS, there was nothing but the self checkout. Usually you put in your coupon before you decide how you want to pay, but I was waving the thing around and eventually just stuck it in the hole thinking that it might work- only to find out after that it asked for the coupon AFTER I put in how I was going to pay. At that point, I had already lost the coupon. Talk about a horrible system.

I usually buy bananas and that is such an issue- I usually just get in the line anyway because it seems to have trouble when there are stickers on the bananas and then I put 4 on the scale- it may scan the sticker and meltdown, or it decides I have put too many on the scale.

Old 11-10-2021, 12:52 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,512,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post
The Walmart near us has four of those [self-checkout stations with conveyer belts]. It's a great system because you don't have to struggle to place everything on that little shelf, and even better is the fact that there's no weight check so you don't have to put everything in the bagging area before you put it in the cart. I always put everything into the cart and bag it later, because good quality large reusable shopping bags don't work at all with self checkout.
ETU:...the local Walmart recently did away with the conveyor belts, and customers have been complaining.

Old 11-10-2021, 07:02 PM

119 posts, read 58,825 times
If there is no discount for self checkout, I don't use it. The store isn't paying me to be a cashier.

Old 11-11-2021, 01:22 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
If you don't like self check, find a store that has cashiers. I happen to prefer them at grocery stores, so I don't have to hear the same canned chatter like "did you find everything?" and more often than not I can self check faster than the checker does it. Ergonomics are no problem because we buy most items at Costco where we do use their very efficient checkers, and at the supermarkets it's just a few items needed in a hurry or not available at Costco.

Old 11-11-2021, 02:37 PM

6,693 posts, read 5,923,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
If you don't like self check, find a store that has cashiers. I happen to prefer them at grocery stores, so I don't have to hear the same canned chatter like "did you find everything?" and more often than not I can self check faster than the checker does it. Ergonomics are no problem because we buy most items at Costco where we do use their very efficient checkers, and at the supermarkets it's just a few items needed in a hurry or not available at Costco.
The Costco near us put in self-check machines recently. I haven't tried it yet, because usually I check out with a pretty large cartload, and it seems awkward to balance your stuff on the little ledge. Basically I guess you need to grab an empty box and dump into that, but then you might run out of room, etc. I'll stick with humans for a while unless just buying one thing.

Old 11-11-2021, 02:58 PM

4,861 posts, read 4,794,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
The Costco near us put in self-check machines recently. I haven't tried it yet, because usually I check out with a pretty large cartload, and it seems awkward to balance your stuff on the little ledge. Basically I guess you need to grab an empty box and dump into that, but then you might run out of room, etc. I'll stick with humans for a while unless just buying one thing.
At our Costco, you have to place scanned items on the flat platform next to the scanner . If not, it won't scan another item. I think it must a scale to track each item by weight. So, you have to unload the items from your cart as you scan, then reload you cart after you are done. That's OK with a few items, but not the volume we usually have.

Old 11-11-2021, 03:08 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
I will NOT self-scan (it's not like I don't know how to, I worked at KMart on a workers-permit since I was only 15) - if they won't hire enough employees or give a discount for doing their job....

Old 11-11-2021, 05:22 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,567,076 times
I'm amazed at how many of you choose to self checkout or not based on some abstract concept of objection to doing their job for them.

For me it's far more pragmatic, which option gets me out of that store faster? If there is nobody in self-checkout but lines in the manned registers, I'm doing self checkout. If I've got a lot of fruits/veggies that I don't know the codes for I'll go for the manned registers as well. To hell with all this notion of self-righteousness indignation over services, I'm not offended to run a damned packaged of bologna over a scanner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics