Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2021, 02:59 PM

5,656 posts, read 3,167,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
This is a topic that's been brushed on in several recent threads and I thought I'd break it out on its own. (Anyone who has the slightest idea of what my user name represents can figure out why.)

Please and thank you: Refrain from clogging this topic up with general discussion of self-checkout stores, experiences, preferences, etc. There are several threads that cover those generalities already; Thank you and please.

Besides all the other issues of SCO, one of the things that drives me batscoot about it is how badly the stations are designed... not just bad, not just awful, but about as badly as someone could do while trying to discourage people from using them.

(Side rant/backgrounder: I think this stems from the equally abysmal design of single-lane checkout stands, where you and cart have to go down the same narrow ravine. Safeways in particular seem to love this model, which is one of several reasons I avoid them like torture chambers. There is never any good way to push your cart up to the belt, then swap positions and pull the cart after you while you try to empty it. Even if you are a relatively tall, gibbon-armed person, it's difficult to either unload from behind or reach the top tray from in front. And if you aren't built like Twiggy, it's awkward to shuffle your way past your cart to the front, especially if there are people behind you that can't/won't back up. And without knocking down candy bars and other impulse items crowded in like airbags. Just stupid, inconvenient, ill-thought layout.)

SCO stations are much the same. I've seen a couple of different designs but absolutely none of them have any good way to deal with "outflow" — once you've managed to scan an item and put it in ze bag as directed by Frau B*tchyvoice... there's no place to go with more than a few items. No shelf. No good way to turn and put it in the cart, which often triggers even more stern instructions/warnings/fraud notice shoutings from the system. The only checkout system that's even remotely like this is the one I see at Walmart Groceries, where the checker has to put the scanned item directly in a bag... but at least has a carousel of them to help, the top of the carousel to set large or fragile items (for top-bagging)... and they always expend far too much time trying to check/scan/and then properly bag, making the process as inefficient as possible.

That's the worst design sin, and I suspect it forms the dividing wedge between those who approve or like SCO and those who don't. If all you have is a smallish number of smallish packaged items, the system works fine; you just pick up, scan and put in your one or two bags. But if you have more, if you have to fill several bags, if you have things like a 12-pack of soda or eggs or loaf bread that either can't go in a bag or need to be bagged carefully... the job becomes an unwieldy mess of trying to do several conflicting things at once... all the while Das Guten Frau is urging you nonstop to get on with it.

Add in that you are supposed to do all of this from one basket or cart that MUST be kept on the unpaid side...

So, SCO customers are expected to do all of the following, more or less simultaneously:
  • Position the cart so the goods in it can be reached, but without being in anyone's way, especially not that of the shopper at the next station, which is probably too close. OR
  • Put a basket down on a tiny shelf, if there even is one. AND THEN
  • Scan each item and IMMEDIATELY put it in a bag, of which some stations have one and a few have two. SO
  • You have to make continual decisions about what to pick up and scan next, working from cans and jars to boxes to soft stuff, all the while being hectored by voice prompts when you don't seem to be moving fast enough. AND THEN
  • Figure out what to do when the bag or bags are full, as you're not usually supposed to turn and put it back over in the cart and there is rarely if ever a shelf to set them on.
If they really want us to adopt this process, and it looks like we are stuck with it to an increasing degree no matter how much we protest... we really should be given AT LEAST the ergonomics and work space a regular checkout person has, if not a little more along with a little more "patience" from the endlessly urging voice prompts. As I said, if someone tried to design most of these systems to discourage use and make shoppers give up on it, they couldn't have done a better job.

Those who buy small amounts of packaged items and have memorized their store's process so that they can breeze through are pretty much thanked and excused; this is a topic aimed at those who do significant quantities of shopping, a cart full/several bags' worth, and have noted either the presence of the above problems... or, in miraculous circumstances, their absence with perhaps such a thing as an outbound shelf to hold things prior to bagging.

If they want us to do the job, they should at least enable us to do so.

I SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO want to know you in person and commiserate with you! You are singing the song of me and my people! LOL

I often say shopping at Walmart is like dying from a thousand papercuts. You've touched on MANY of the reasons why. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2021, 07:23 AM

50,860 posts, read 36,563,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
I SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO want to know you in person and commiserate with you! You are singing the song of me and my people! LOL

I often say shopping at Walmart is like dying from a thousand papercuts. You've touched on MANY of the reasons why. LOL
Sounds like your Walmart machine simply suck. At my Walmart, the robot lady doesn’t scold you for anything. I repeatedly put things back in my cart throughout the entire process. Every time I fill a bag, I put it back in the cart. Large things like a big gallon of tide, I don’t even put in a bag I simply scan it and put it back in the cart as is. Sometimes I don’t even take it out of the cart, but use the scanning gun while it’s still in the cart. It sounds like in your store and the poster before you, your Walmarts have old systems that they haven’t upgraded.

Old 11-19-2021, 07:41 AM

9,872 posts, read 7,753,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Sounds like your Walmart machine simply suck. At my Walmart, the robot lady doesn’t scold you for anything. I repeatedly put things back in my cart throughout the entire process. Every time I fill a bag, I put it back in the cart. Large things like a big gallon of tide, I don’t even put in a bag I simply scan it and put it back in the cart as is. Sometimes I don’t even take it out of the cart, but use the scanning gun while it’s still in the cart. It sounds like in your store and the poster before you, your Walmarts have old systems that they haven’t upgraded.
I'll have to try leaving things in the cart, I thought they had to be placed on the counter to register the weight still. But I do agree with you on the rest of the above and about not running into rude cashiers. Ours are all very nice.

Sometimes I wonder if the people who complain about Walmart ever actually go there.

Old 11-19-2021, 07:15 PM

480 posts, read 317,415 times
If you do online orders you don't even have to go in the store, and they bring it out to your car.
Thus SCO is irrelevant.

Old 11-20-2021, 01:23 AM

37,151 posts, read 42,250,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insulator_king View Post
If you do online orders you don't even have to go in the store, and they bring it out to your car.
Thus SCO is irrelevant.
Yes, but I like to see what's in stock or promotional or fresh....basically I enjoy grocery shopping. I don't enjoy doing work I'm not being paid to do while keeping others from having a job.

Old 11-20-2021, 03:42 PM

50,860 posts, read 36,563,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insulator_king View Post
Thus SCO is irrelevant.
Walmart messes up our orders too much, I gave up on that.

Old 11-28-2021, 08:35 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,499,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Yes, but I like to see what's in stock or promotional or fresh....basically I enjoy grocery shopping. I don't enjoy doing work I'm not being paid to do while keeping others from having a job.
well said,we could miss some huge bargains.
I picked up 5 nice zuchinis for 99 cents ,if I am not in the store shopping,I would miss that.
But people tend to cheat when they do self checkout,say when you want to look up an item by picture,you said your pomegranate is really potato ,how do they know?

Old 11-28-2021, 08:51 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,946,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
well said,we could miss some huge bargains.
I picked up 5 nice zuchinis for 99 cents ,if I am not in the store shopping,I would miss that.
But people tend to cheat when they do self checkout,say when you want to look up an item by picture,you said your pomegranate is really potato ,how do they know?
I don’t know. They have little cameras and it’s possible that someone in the back room is monitoring the self check out. Would be embarrassing to be caught doing something that dumb. But, needless to say, people will try.

Old 11-28-2021, 11:38 PM

37,151 posts, read 42,250,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
I don’t know. They have little cameras and it’s possible that someone in the back room is monitoring the self check out. Would be embarrassing to be caught doing something that dumb. But, needless to say, people will try.
Doubtfull. Besides, like I said, it's not a job I'm getting paid for OR have been trained to do. Oppsie. I've definitely got free stuff doing self check and I'm sure they expect it and figure the salary + benefits of paying people costs them more than some free vegetables or whatever. It's a sad and sorry future we are rushing towards, I don't know why more people can't see that.

Old 11-29-2021, 06:27 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,499,506 times
Supermarkets install software developed by an Irish company which will scan your shopping cart,esp the lower rack and scan what you scanned or not scanned,like you take a rotisserie chicken and move it from your cart to shopping bag without scanning.
There is always a clerk who is watching what you scanned and attend to your problems like the machine not accepting your coupons or you cant find the item on the screen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics