Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2021, 11:01 AM

50,866 posts, read 36,563,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
Supermarkets install software developed by an Irish company which will scan your shopping cart,esp the lower rack and scan what you scanned or not scanned,like you take a rotisserie chicken and move it from your cart to shopping bag without scanning.
There is always a clerk who is watching what you scanned and attend to your problems like the machine not accepting your coupons or you cant find the item on the screen.
It still won't catch it though if you punch in the code for regular MacIntosh apples while the apples you picked were organic Fuji apples and cost more then regular apples. I wouldn't do that, but it has occurred to me many times how easy it would be to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2021, 06:24 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,946,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It still won't catch it though if you punch in the code for regular MacIntosh apples while the apples you picked were organic Fuji apples and cost more then regular apples. I wouldn't do that, but it has occurred to me many times how easy it would be to do so.
I could easily slip a $10 bottle of vitamins in my pocket. I could slide a couple of pears into my shopping tote and not ring them up. I could "forget" to scan the case of Coke on the bottom rack of my cart. However, as an honest person, I wouldn't do that.

In fact, I forgot to scan the milk one time because it was down below, and I almost made it out of the store when I realized, and went back and sheepishly told the clerk. This same clerk had just finished comping me a product because the price didn't match the sign.

Retailers know a certain percentage of the clientele are going to steal. They count on the honest ones to keep them in business. If everyone were dishonest, or >50% were dishonest, let's say, all the retailers would go under.

Old 12-04-2021, 06:35 AM

942 posts, read 394,506 times
I agree with the OP that the ergonomics of self checkout is pretty dismal in most cases. But, I do prefer self checkout because I find the cashier much friendlier than the full service lines.

Old 12-04-2021, 10:37 AM

6,321 posts, read 7,057,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
I find today I work for everyone from the airlines to the supermarkets....I do the job functions their employees got paid to do

Not only that, but they get to make more money since they don't have to hire employees.

It is rampant.

My Doctor wants me to sign up for their web site, where they can send me messages and I can check everything they have ever done to me!! So I said fine, set it up for me and your my tech support. "Nope, we cannot do that too expensive for us to do" it I was told. So I just call her on the phone.

Years ago, I went to buy a $900 BBQ grill from a national chain. Told the manager I would PAY an additional $50 for the store to assemble it for me. No deal, to expensive I was told. So I went to a small hardware store and found out they used their clerks to assemble things when business is slow. Bought it there.

My propane dealer wants me to keep track of my number that he assigned to my account. I told them that was THEIR job, not mine.

I just paid $5000 to install some fancy doors at my house. The locks were to be rekeyed to match existing locks. The company didn't have time to do it, so wanted to give me the locks and have me install them. They said it was a simple job. Right, but that's the not the point, I paid you to install the locks. DO it!! Oh, by the way, the next three doors we were going to replace I think I am going to find somebody else!!

Self-service checkouts are just a reminder that the business doesn't care about you as a customer.

Other clues...we price match. Right, why would I give you my business when your willingly overcharging me, UNLESS I NOTICE.

And the famous, "we will order it for you". I can do that by myself. AGAIN, why would I do business with you??

AND my ALL-TIME FAVORITE......GENERAL MOTORS. I bought a S-10 in 1982 from them. The truck from hades. GM didn't want to pay my rebate, since they didn't like the dealer I bought it from!!! The truck is half metric, half-English...yep they changed the standard as the TRUCK was moving down the assembly line!!!

So I am there getting the truck repaired for something and a salesman comes up and tries to talk me into buying ANOTHER GM truck!!! He got an earful. Then said " Give us another chance".

Right, I have been buying Honda's great dealers, great service, good design and you want me to STOP doing business with a company that treated me fairly and sells a great product and give GM another chance to screw me again??? REALLY???

So it is with self-checkout. One time I used it....I made the clerk show me how to use. He checked me out!!! That works.

Old 12-04-2021, 11:37 AM

11,083 posts, read 6,661,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
We are starting that in April. Right now, we are hoarding plastic bags lol.
Problem is, then you don't have plastic bags for the trash. We re-use all of our plastic bags for the smaller trash cans. So then you'd have to BUY new plastic bags. Is that better?

But we do take our re-usable bags most of the time.

I am content that there is no self-checkout here. We even have baggers, lol. And sometimes going out to the car with you. We give them a Sacajawea for that service, which they greatly appreciate.

Old 12-04-2021, 03:44 PM

7,651 posts, read 4,613,856 times
Dude, if it's too hard to scan, then it's free.

Old 12-04-2021, 05:52 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,499,506 times
that Irish software while you approach the self checkput,will notice you have items in your lower cart,thats how some stores catch shoppers .
But I agree,if you are checking out fuji apples and said it is red potato,how can they tell.
Sometimes you dont even know what kind of tomato you have ,they have so many different ones.and green pepper too.
it is not they dont want to serve you with life cashiers,it is just yankee labor is too expensive,think of a dollars store.

Old 12-09-2021, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Not only that, but they get to make more money since they don't have to hire employees.

It is rampant.

My Doctor wants me to sign up for their web site, where they can send me messages and I can check everything they have ever done to me!! So I said fine, set it up for me and your my tech support. "Nope, we cannot do that too expensive for us to do" it I was told. So I just call her on the phone.

Years ago, I went to buy a $900 BBQ grill from a national chain. Told the manager I would PAY an additional $50 for the store to assemble it for me. No deal, to expensive I was told. So I went to a small hardware store and found out they used their clerks to assemble things when business is slow. Bought it there.

My propane dealer wants me to keep track of my number that he assigned to my account. I told them that was THEIR job, not mine.

I just paid $5000 to install some fancy doors at my house. The locks were to be rekeyed to match existing locks. The company didn't have time to do it, so wanted to give me the locks and have me install them. They said it was a simple job. Right, but that's the not the point, I paid you to install the locks. DO it!! Oh, by the way, the next three doors we were going to replace I think I am going to find somebody else!!

Self-service checkouts are just a reminder that the business doesn't care about you as a customer.

Other clues...we price match. Right, why would I give you my business when your willingly overcharging me, UNLESS I NOTICE.

And the famous, "we will order it for you". I can do that by myself. AGAIN, why would I do business with you??

AND my ALL-TIME FAVORITE......GENERAL MOTORS. I bought a S-10 in 1982 from them. The truck from hades. GM didn't want to pay my rebate, since they didn't like the dealer I bought it from!!! The truck is half metric, half-English...yep they changed the standard as the TRUCK was moving down the assembly line!!!

So I am there getting the truck repaired for something and a salesman comes up and tries to talk me into buying ANOTHER GM truck!!! He got an earful. Then said " Give us another chance".

Right, I have been buying Honda's great dealers, great service, good design and you want me to STOP doing business with a company that treated me fairly and sells a great product and give GM another chance to screw me again??? REALLY???

So it is with self-checkout. One time I used it....I made the clerk show me how to use. He checked me out!!! That works.
I was thinking along these lines yesterday, when I called FedEx about a package that showed as “delayed” in a fedex facility not 10 miles from my house with a message saying “delivery exception”. They told me to assume the package is lost, and told me that I needed to call Walmart and tell them it was lost and arrange to have it resent. Why should the onus be on me to fix their error???

Old 12-09-2021, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Problem is, then you don't have plastic bags for the trash. We re-use all of our plastic bags for the smaller trash cans. So then you'd have to BUY new plastic bags. Is that better?

But we do take our re-usable bags most of the time.

I am content that there is no self-checkout here. We even have baggers, lol. And sometimes going out to the car with you. We give them a Sacajawea for that service, which they greatly appreciate.
I’ve been hoarding them lol.

Old 12-09-2021, 11:13 AM

14,336 posts, read 11,733,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
I could easily slip a $10 bottle of vitamins in my pocket. I could slide a couple of pears into my shopping tote and not ring them up. I could "forget" to scan the case of Coke on the bottom rack of my cart. However, as an honest person, I wouldn't do that.

In fact, I forgot to scan the milk one time because it was down below, and I almost made it out of the store when I realized, and went back and sheepishly told the clerk. This same clerk had just finished comping me a product because the price didn't match the sign.

Retailers know a certain percentage of the clientele are going to steal. They count on the honest ones to keep them in business. If everyone were dishonest, or >50% were dishonest, let's say, all the retailers would go under.
Once, I went through the self-checkout with several large containers of bottled water, the ones that hold 2.5 gallons each. I took one out of the cart and scanned it four times to account for all of them. When I got to my car and put the water and all my other groceries in, I realized I actually only had three water containers, but had paid for four. I went back in and told the cashier, fully realizing I had no proof that I was short one, and she just told me to go back and pick up another one. No questions asked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics