Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2021, 01:52 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,946,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Once, I went through the self-checkout with several large containers of bottled water, the ones that hold 2.5 gallons each. I took one out of the cart and scanned it four times to account for all of them. When I got to my car and put the water and all my other groceries in, I realized I actually only had three water containers, but had paid for four. I went back in and told the cashier, fully realizing I had no proof that I was short one, and she just told me to go back and pick up another one. No questions asked.
That's the way it should work. Two decent, honest people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2021, 06:57 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,496,767 times
they cant seem to handle coupons,like you would need to give the coupons to the attendant.
Cant they track the serial number to void them when someone tried to use it again?

Old 12-10-2021, 10:20 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,863,803 times
This hit my local Whole Foods where they now force all shoppers to use self-checkout later at night. The problem is that the self-checkout stations are literally designed to hold only a six pack of beer and two packaged sandwiches and it gets ugly when you're got a full cart.

Old 12-10-2021, 10:39 AM

5,656 posts, read 3,165,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I was thinking along these lines yesterday, when I called FedEx about a package that showed as “delayed” in a fedex facility not 10 miles from my house with a message saying “delivery exception”. They told me to assume the package is lost, and told me that I needed to call Walmart and tell them it was lost and arrange to have it resent. Why should the onus be on me to fix their error???
I had this happen to me too. But my option was to have my money returned, which I did. The SAME DAY I did that, the package arrived, so I got the package for free. Because of the aggravation, I do not feel bad for getting a package for free.

Old 12-10-2021, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
This hit my local Whole Foods where they now force all shoppers to use self-checkout later at night. The problem is that the self-checkout stations are literally designed to hold only a six pack of beer and two packaged sandwiches and it gets ugly when you're got a full cart.
Upthread, I posted a negative review of the WF SCO. But having used it now for a few weeks, I would say it's a pretty good system. It does ask you some odd questions like "what kind of packaging" for various bulk foods, and you have to figure out from an arcane list of bags, cartons, plastic containers etc. But it's not bad.

I don't see the prob with a full cart. You just pull each item out, scan it, and place it into your shopping bag. When bag full, place on floor and open a fresh one. Not rocket science. And they have an attentive clerk who instantly runs over if you so much as raise an eyebrow.

Old 12-10-2021, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
I don't see the prob with a full cart. You just pull each item out, scan it, and place it into your shopping bag. When bag full, place on floor and open a fresh one. Not rocket science. And they have an attentive clerk who instantly runs over if you so much as raise an eyebrow.
Not a fan of putting a bag on the floor which hasn’t been mopped in who knows how long.

And the ‘attentive clerk’ just stands in the corner and stares

Old 12-10-2021, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Not a fan of putting a bag on the floor which hasn’t been mopped in who knows how long.

Wait, wut? You’re gonna put said bag on the bottom of your hatchback or sedan or minivan/truck, which likely hasn’t been mopped or sanitized since ever?

Old 12-10-2021, 02:36 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,496,767 times
you dont eat the bag,you eat the food inside the bag.

Old 12-11-2021, 03:23 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,585,805 times
Quote:

At this point you're just trying to think up reasons to remain unsatisfied.

When was the scale on the checkout line last cleaned? When were the store shelves last cleaned? When was the base of the cart last cleaned? Where were the packages that you get delivered to your house stored before being placed on the ground in front of your house?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
you dont eat the bag,you eat the food inside the bag.
To take it even farther, I eat the food inside the package/bag that is inside the bag.

Old 12-12-2021, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Wait, wut? You’re gonna put said bag on the bottom of your hatchback or sedan or minivan/truck, which likely hasn’t been mopped or sanitized since ever?
The only things that end up in the trunk or way back are the groceries and the paper road atlas from 2007. The true collection of clutter ends up in the back seat where it’s easier to access.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics