Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2021, 02:38 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,200,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Not a fan of putting a bag on the floor which hasn’t been mopped in who knows how long.

And the ‘attentive clerk’ just stands in the corner and stares
There's not even room "on the floor" to put anything the way they lay out the self checking machines. I put the bags in my cart once they are full. Sometimes when I scan a larger item it goes directly into my cart without a bag. I don't know or care if they are weighing things but the few times I've been forced to check myself out it hasn't been an issue. And yes, forced, ie: all lanes are closed and no checkers on duty but I've got a cart full of groceries. This is a Walmart Grocery trick and they seem to know when I'm coming to check out and hide. Once I'm done and on my way out the door they magically reappear! LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2021, 11:31 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,447,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
I had this happen to me too. But my option was to have my money returned, which I did. The SAME DAY I did that, the package arrived, so I got the package for free. Because of the aggravation, I do not feel bad for getting a package for free.
I wouldn’t feel bad either.

Old 12-15-2021, 01:24 PM

6,701 posts, read 5,928,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
I had this happen to me too. But my option was to have my money returned, which I did. The SAME DAY I did that, the package arrived, so I got the package for free. Because of the aggravation, I do not feel bad for getting a package for free.
I would have felt bad, and told them to charge me for the product since it was delivered after all, if late.

I guess I'm just one of a shrinking number of honest people out there.

Old 12-16-2021, 07:55 AM

9,853 posts, read 7,722,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
I would have felt bad, and told them to charge me for the product since it was delivered after all, if late.

I guess I'm just one of a shrinking number of honest people out there.
I agree, of course. The business will be able to see that it was delivered when FedEx/UPS denies their claim for a lost shipment.

Old 12-16-2021, 09:58 AM

6,701 posts, read 5,928,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I agree, of course. The business will be able to see that it was delivered when FedEx/UPS denies their claim for a lost shipment.
Amazon and Ebay will sometimes just go ahead and refund you, even if the package is eventually delivered. Something about compensating you for the lateness. I personally don't care if a package is a few days late. I don't like paying for second day delivery then it still takes a week, though. At least refund me my 2nd day shipping cost.

Getting back to self-checkout: it is about 50% honor system, 50% they're watching you. Maybe as they iron out the kinks, it'll be 80% secure, 20% honor system. I don't care either way because I'm honest. I don't want my store to go out of business from theft! I want it to still be there, with affordable prices, next week so I can keep using it.

Once years ago (boy am I rambling now), a housemate vegan animal rights guy I used to live with back before I could afford my own place, bought some groceries at the local equivalent of Whole Foods, and they helped bring his stuff to his car. Drove home, and discovered they had accidentally given him a whole bag of someone else's food, in addition to his own.

I said, "Well, aren't you going to take it back?"

He said, "No, why should I? It's their mistake."

I chewed on that for a while, then said, "Maybe you should donate the food to charity, at least. It doesn't seem right to just keep it."

He became enraged and suggested I mind my own business. That was the end of that conversation. I never really respected him again after that.

Nor would I respect anyone who "got away with something" in self-checkout or any other retail situation. They're just screwing the rest of us by hurting the business, causing higher prices, more annoying security procedures, etc.

Old 12-21-2021, 01:23 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,730,320 times
I will use self checkout if only a few items other wise I want a cashier and bagger.

Old 12-21-2021, 04:33 PM

9,447 posts, read 5,208,974 times
I got in an argument with the disembodied self checkout 'voice' at Costco once. Their particular design is a bit of an epic fail because if you have alot of stuff you can't always pile it on the shelf next to the register. If you try to put something in your cart instead 'the voice' chastises you.
I don't go in that lane anymore if I have more than just a few items.

Otherwise, I do use the self checkout whenever I can. The grocery store is easier.

Old 12-22-2021, 06:39 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
I got in an argument with the disembodied self checkout 'voice' at Costco once. Their particular design is a bit of an epic fail because if you have alot of stuff you can't always pile it on the shelf next to the register. If you try to put something in your cart instead 'the voice' chastises you.
I don't go in that lane anymore if I have more than just a few items.

Otherwise, I do use the self checkout whenever I can. The grocery store is easier.
I swear at the voice. Then I found you can turn it off.

Old 06-17-2022, 08:46 AM

1,057 posts, read 547,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Amazon and Ebay will sometimes just go ahead and refund you, even if the package is eventually delivered. Something about compensating you for the lateness. I personally don't care if a package is a few days late. I don't like paying for second day delivery then it still takes a week, though. At least refund me my 2nd day shipping cost.

Getting back to self-checkout: it is about 50% honor system, 50% they're watching you. Maybe as they iron out the kinks, it'll be 80% secure, 20% honor system. I don't care either way because I'm honest. I don't want my store to go out of business from theft! I want it to still be there, with affordable prices, next week so I can keep using it.

Once years ago (boy am I rambling now), a housemate vegan animal rights guy I used to live with back before I could afford my own place, bought some groceries at the local equivalent of Whole Foods, and they helped bring his stuff to his car. Drove home, and discovered they had accidentally given him a whole bag of someone else's food, in addition to his own.

I said, "Well, aren't you going to take it back?"

He said, "No, why should I? It's their mistake."

I chewed on that for a while, then said, "Maybe you should donate the food to charity, at least. It doesn't seem right to just keep it."

He became enraged and suggested I mind my own business. That was the end of that conversation. I never really respected him again after that.

Nor would I respect anyone who "got away with something" in self-checkout or any other retail situation. They're just screwing the rest of us by hurting the business, causing higher prices, more annoying security procedures, etc.
He should have called the store and told them what happened. They would probably just say "keep it," but at least they would know that the customer who calls to say a bag is missing is correct.

Old 06-17-2022, 01:00 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,013,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dehumidifier View Post
He should have called the store and told them what happened. They would probably just say "keep it," but at least they would know that the customer who calls to say a bag is missing is correct.
That's exactly what they do.

On more than a few occasions, I've received items from Whole Foods or Amazon Fresh that I did not order. Sometimes, I even receive entire bags of groceries that aren't mine. Each and every time that has happened, I contact Amazon via their online chat and am told to either keep the groceries or give/donate them to others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics