U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2020, 03:24 PM

2,020 posts, read 519,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You do know you can turn off the voice, right?
Maybe your store offers that. I haven't seen any such feature, although I note my grocery store seems to have turned things down to "less insistent help" — either as time has gone by or because they recognize me as someone who's used the system a few times.

As no two installations seem to be even close to the same model or process, it's unlikely to be a common or easily accessed feature. And is simply one more annoyance, not the real problem(s).

Quote:
And what's with the Frau? Does your SCO voice speak with a German accent? LOL.
No, but the slightest pause of any kind seems to prompt a potty-training command. Adding to the poor design is that they never seem to **** and let you work things through, like what to do with eggs you scanned too early.
S T F U? Really? Gosh, sorry, Miss Mimsy...
A good part of my background is in ergonomics, user interface design (physical and online), usability, etc. There is far, far, far, far too much willingness for people to either blame themselves for "being slow and stupid with machines" or for others to preen about how quickly they can use them (so you must just be stupid)... when as with older ATMs and pretty much all POS terminals now in use, the interface is so bad that even product testers get confused.

It is trivial to do it right; why no one bothers is an enduring mystery. No POS terminal, for example, should EVER have post-it notes or handwritten notices taped on it, or foul up irretrievably if the customer does some step at the wrong time. They are deeply programmable, highly flexible devices... that the vendors take out of the box, plug in and walk away, leaving all kinds of usability and interface glitches that are "of course, the fault of stupid customers." One after another by the hundreds a day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2020, 03:27 PM

1,360 posts, read 866,720 times
What tools do you want?

I carry my own reusable bags and I arrange my stuff in the cart in the order that I will pack them in the bags. So when I'm self checking out, it's already clear in my mind how I will pack my stuff.

And when I don't have the option of self check out, I used to arrange my stuff with the reusable bags separating them. Because of covid, cashiers can't bag in reusable bags so I now bag the stuff myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
Congratulations for skipping to the head of the line and missing the whole point. This is specifically not aimed at people who "breeze through" with a handful of items, which is (1) not much of a problem, no and (2) clearly what (all that) the stations are designed for — some notion of "10 items or less" lanes.

As long as SCO was an option for those in a hurry or with social contact disorders, it was fine. But now we are being forced through them whether we have a few packaged gourmet items for a light din-din or a week's groceries for a family... and past about one hand basket of items, all of the problems I outlined apply.

If they want us to do the job, they need to give us at least the tools they give their "professionals" and not make us do it with everything tucked under our arms.

Old 06-20-2020, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
What tools do you want?

I carry my own reusable bags and I arrange my stuff in the cart in the order that I will pack them in the bags. So when I'm self checking out, it's already clear in my mind how I will pack my stuff.

And when I don't have the option of self check out, I used to arrange my stuff with the reusable bags separating them. Because of covid, cashiers can't bag in reusable bags so I now bag the stuff myself.
There's no question that some have self-trained to use the systems as effectively as possible. Which isn't really the point; we should not have to adapt to a confused, widely variable and clumsy system when for exactly the same amount of implementation and other costs, retailers could install stations that work as well as the ones for their checkers.

The idea that consumers should have to suck it up and do it [Insert Obnoxious Company Name Here]'s way is nonsense, as the slow learners among retailers will eventually find out. I just wish they and their craptastic vendors had thought it through in advance, instead of making us go through a long process in which they fumble to get it right while shoppers just plain fumble (and blame everything but the stupid design).

Consider this: other than the color of the nametags and a few utterly minor details, how much does the checkout process vary across every grocery store you've ever patronized? There's a reason for that. A reason that should have been in mind when they started herding us to the SCO stations.

Old 06-20-2020, 03:56 PM

1,360 posts, read 866,720 times
The difference between self check out and staffed lanes is the conveyor belt. If you arrange your stuff in the right order in the shopping cart you do not need the conveyor belt.

Most people buy the same stuff week after week so it's not that hard to arrange your stuff in order in the shopping cart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
we should not have to adapt to a confused, widely variable and clumsy system when for exactly the same amount of implementation and other costs, retailers could install stations that work as well as the ones for their checkers.

Old 06-20-2020, 04:08 PM

12,256 posts, read 9,696,504 times
Quote:
I like self checkouts because I can breeze through them. Unless one has a disability or they are old, I don't understand why you think self check-out is complex. I think some people though are just resistance to change.

Self checkout is the future, if high schoolers can work as cashiers, how hard is it?
I agree. I love self checkout. I've weighed produce and scanned all types of loose items. No problems at all.

As for the argument that customers aren't getting paid to do a cashier's job, I hope folks realize that each of their purchases only provides PENNIES towards employee pay.

Old 06-20-2020, 04:34 PM

Quote:
The difference between self check out and staffed lanes is the conveyor belt. If you arrange your stuff in the right order in the shopping cart you do not need the conveyor belt.

Most people buy the same stuff week after week so it's not that hard to arrange your stuff in order in the shopping cart.
Sigh. Again with the idea that it's up to customers to adapt to a pointlessly clumsy system created for a few items and now being forced on major shoppers.

If they want us to do it, they should make it efficient for other than those with OCD or some other hyper-organized mentality. Most of us don't meticulously plan our cereal and soup buying, and not all of us buy the same stuff on every trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I agree. I love self checkout. I've weighed produce and scanned all types of loose items. No problems at all.
"I love/hate SCO" is the next thread over. Thanks.

Old 06-20-2020, 07:11 PM

2,601 posts, read 1,195,131 times
The stores I frequent that have self checkout have different types, depending on whether you have a few items or a lot of items. Different size storage areas for each. And, they are spaced to allow you to pull the nose of the cart up next to the checkout, and there's about 10 feet between the checkouts on either side.

Old 06-20-2020, 07:25 PM

565 posts, read 255,033 times
All the Walmarts and Homedepots I have been in have the handheld scanner so you don't even have to take large items out of your cart. I pretty much just use the handheld device to scan everything, makes it much quicker. Never heard of the rule you can't put scanned items back with unscanned items. My local grocery store Giant has conveyor belt style self checkouts which is much better for processing lots of items. Walmarts are too small for self checkout lovers like myself who take cart fulls there. Though I'll juggle my items in the self checkout before I get in line to wait for the only two cashiers in the store.

Old 06-20-2020, 08:19 PM

7,374 posts, read 2,740,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22003yo View Post
All the Walmarts and Homedepots I have been in have the handheld scanner ...

I concur. The ergonomics of SCO improved greatly when the handheld scanners were introduced, so much easier than dragging items across the flat glass. At HD I even arrange bulky items in my cart with barcode facing up for convenient and quick scanning. Kinda fun, like a shooter video game: zap, zap zap!

Old Yesterday, 01:35 AM

5,843 posts, read 9,388,811 times
While the Stop & Shop grocery chain in CT has both conveyor belt and newer non-conveyor SCO setups, they also have portable scanners. You pick up one from a stand on the way in, and scan & bag each item as you go up & down the aisle. Then at an SCO stand, you plug the scanner into the machine, it reads the scanner, totals and prints your receipt.

To cut down on cheaters, they randomly select a customer and rescan their basket before they leave the store.

As a retired old widower, I personally avoid all this and will patiently wait for a human cashier.

OP,
BTW it was interesting to learn about "therbligs". As my old physics teacher might have scolded us, "What was your "unit of measure", therbligs per fortnight ?? "
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics